|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Amish Cooling Unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/17 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago this and other forums were full of reports on replacing your cooling unit with an Amish unit. It was a hot topic. We are looking at buying another motorhome. It will be used in Mexico and a residential conversion may not be practical. Are the Amish ( and others) still being used? Thanks

Moisheh

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen many of them and all except maybe 1 have had good results...no complaints except of course they are not easy to change a cooling unit...Many people have somehow gone to residential fridges and have squeezed them in one way or another but amish cooling units are far from dead and are definitely superior than the typical replacement. It's just that residentials have evolved and become more popular lately and many actually run on an inverter (ie Samsung ) which adds to its viability on running on an inverter..Of course, they have had their share of issues too and getting one fixed is a major production..No worries about the Amish cooling unit though.

Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/17 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have read of disappointed users of Amish units. So don't assume they're always perfect. But by far the majority is happy with them. And yes, they are still readily available last I checked (12 months ago). They have distributors and certified installers now, last I heard.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you cannot install / use a residential unit, consider a Danfoss or Waeco unit. West Marine sells nice ones that will fit in the space a normal 3 way fridge fits in

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/17 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced the cooling unit in our Norcold 1200 LRIM with the Amish unit in 2013 and it works great.

Here's the link to the RV Cooling Unit Warehouse if interested:

https://rvcoolingunit.com/

Good luck and safe travels....[emoticon]

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

If you cannot install / use a residential unit, consider a Danfoss or Waeco unit. West Marine sells nice ones that will fit in the space a normal 3 way fridge fits in

X2 on this.

Use some modern technology. Ammonia absorption is 19th century technology (1850-1870 first commercial use.)

The Danfoss compressor or clones, with super efficient digital motors are the way to go.

If there's budget for an expensive ammonia refit, there's budget for a modern low amp draw compressor unit.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/17 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Practically every large company and building in the world uses the absorption cycle system for cooling and/or refrigeration. It is very long lived system (an absorption refer was removed from service after 72 years, still working), the absorption cycle requires a fraction of the electrical or energy input that a compressor requires, plus uses the natural substances ammonia and water, instead of ozone depleting halocarbons.

Still very much a 'modern technology'. There's an ice hotel in Fairbanks Alaska I had the pleasure of touring that not long ago installed a large absorption system to keep their ice motel frozen using thermal hot springs water. The water wasn't hot enough for a lot of other more 'modern' systems but works fine with the ammonia absorption system.

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old technology isn't necessarily bad technology. If it works, it works. More efficient (and expensive) electric compressor units are great if you can afford them and you have the electricity to run them. If you need to run on propane then the absorbtion fridge is the way to go.

I rebuilt my fridge with an Amish cooling unit and it's been great. About half of my camping is without hookups so I need the ability to run the fridge off of propane (I don't have a multi-megawatt battery bank and solar system).

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Danfoss and Waeco units pull very little amperage. Not much more than an absorbtion unit with auxillary condenser fans. They are very efficient.

I know when my 3 way expires (if it ever does), I'll replace it with a compressor fridge and I have a TC so limited battery power too. A small compressor fridge is about the same price as the 'Amish cooling unit' and you get the entire unit, not just the plumbing.

For me, a big plus is, they don't have to be level to work either whereas a thremosiphon unit ammonia fridge has to be level to operate efficiently and un level operation can ruin an ammonia fridge. Not so with a compressor unit.

A residential style compressor fridge is no where as efficient as a Danfoss or Warco unit. Biult for in a house with basically unlimited 110 volt power. The Danfoss and Waeco units run on 12 volt or 110.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/17 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexico......brown outs/power outages.....reason for the 'absorption fridge'

Amish cooling unit....DIY project.
Right inside the RV. 4 hours +

RV Cooling Warehouse in above link is GREAT place to purchase.
They also will HELP you....great support
AND you can request via E-mail a complete 'HOW TO CHANGE OUT A COOLING UNIT' guide prior to purchasing

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Amish Cooling Unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS