RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Newbie travel trailer buyer question - to slide out or not

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Newbie travel trailer buyer question - to slide out or not

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next
Sponsored By:
Sanjeev

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all:

I am a newbie in the world of camper trailers, trying to buy my first camper trailer to get started. I am in my late 40s, married with wife and two kids - a 20 year old college going daughter (home only occasionally) and a 10 year old son. Mentioned this to give some idea on what we would need in a camper.

For towing the trailer, I bought a 2017 Ram 1500 ecodiesel with a 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio. Specs show a "Max Trailer Weight Rating" of 7540 lbs. for this truck.

In our local market, I spotted two trailers (on craigslist) that I want to investigate further:

1. A 2016 Forest River Shasta Oasis 25RS. The owner mentions "excellent condition" at a listed price that sounds reasonable. I have googled the model and watched some youtube videos and so far, wife and myself like the floor plan. We have not gone to physically take a look yet, will probably do that in the coming week.
2. A 2016 Coachmen Catalina 261 BH SBX. This one we went to take a look yesterday, and through our newbie eyes, it did look like in excellent condition. We liked the floor plan on this one also.

The floor plans are mostly similar, with one main difference being the slide out in the Shasta. My engineering experience tells me that a slide out means more moving parts, and more possibilities for developing a leak. But wife prefers the space the slide out offers. FYI - the slide out is for the sofa and refrigerator.

One last point - the asking price for both the trailers is similar. The Catalina does come with some kind of a transferable warranty through mid 2023.

Being a complete newbie, I would like advice from trailer owners and experts on what they like and not in a slide out, quality of construction of the two brands etc. of these particular models to help me further decide.

Thanks in advance for all the comments!

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when you decide on which rv, hire a mobil tech to do a inspection on the rv, best money you,ll spend is knowing if its a good one or not.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO pick the one you like the best. Do slides add complexity? yes. Do slides add room? yes. Are slides likely to give you an problem. No, like anything you could end up with a problem, but in reality current slides are quite reliable.

Personally, I like the space slides offer. However one of the big drawbacks of SOME slides is that when in they block access to what you may find critical for a rest stop or quick morning start. things like bathroom, fridge, dinette, cooktop, etc. So if this is important to you see what you can or more importantly CAN'T do with the slide in.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RinconVTR

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

IMHO pick the one you like the best. Do slides add complexity? yes. Do slides add room? yes. Are slides likely to give you an problem. No, like anything you could end up with a problem, but in reality current slides are quite reliable.

Personally, I like the space slides offer. However one of the big drawbacks of SOME slides is that when in they block access to what you may find critical for a rest stop or quick morning start. things like bathroom, fridge, dinette, cooktop, etc. So if this is important to you see what you can or more importantly CAN'T do with the slide in.

^^What he said^^

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The slide increases your square footage considerably in a smaller TT - it also adds to the weight. Watch your weights with the half ton truck.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

mat60

maine

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't have a slide because of what Ktmrfs said and the fact that its just the wife and I. It was also less expensive for us buying new.

2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/17 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see no slides as less room and lower resale.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slide problems are very small compared to the number of slides out there. 4,5, and even 6 slides are common on larger RVs. For the xtra room provided by a slide, I think you would be happier with the slide model, assuming you like that floor plan.

Lwiddis

El Pueblo de Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/17 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy with my slide. Makes a small or moderate size TT big.
Max trailer is only one of many numbers for your truck and 7540 isn’t that much for a truck. Payload is far more important. What is it?
Sorry but I believe the 2016 Forest River Shasta Oasis 25RS and the 2016 Coachmen Catalina 261 BH SB are too heavy for your truck. You’ll be maxed out. Go smaller. Remember it’s not just what you can “pull,” it’s what you can also CARRY.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will never own another RV without slides.
Never!
And I don't care if they block anything when in. It takes a few seconds and the push of a button to partially deploy them enough to do what ever is needed.
Our last RV required the slide be partly extended to make lunch on the road. It took ten 10 seconds to do so.
I guess I'm just not in that big of a hurry that a few seconds bothers me.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Newbie travel trailer buyer question - to slide out or not
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS