RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Newbie travel trailer buyer question - to slide out or not

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Newbie travel trailer buyer question - to slide out or not

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hawkeye-08

Northwest

Senior Member

Joined: 01/25/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/17/18 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were looking for our current trailer, we were upgrading from a trailer without a slide to one with a slide. We did plenty of research and we don't use the slide portion when it is retracted. We prop the bathroom door open when putting the slide in so if we needed to make a pitstop (with grandkids it is not if but rather when), we can still use the bathroom.

My dad purchased a new trailer a couple years ago and he did not get one with slide. His reasoning (he is 87) is that he often goes out to secluded areas by himself. He felt that if he had a problem with a slide, he would not have any help to get it in.

His last camping trip last fall, he had lower than expected temperatures and ended up running the furnace a bunch. His single battery would not last more than two hours. He has an onboard generator and when the main batter died, his generator would not start.. if he had a slide to put in before he headed home, it would have greatly complicated things.

With all that said, it really is personal preference (dad likes our trailer, just not wanting one for himself) on whether you get a slide.

Will you be camping without power? (remember, you need a well charged battery to run slide)

Do you go out by yourself in remote areas?

Get what you want (your wife wants).

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/17/18 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

The plant manager told me this when I toured the factory after picking up my new Sabre.
He also said that was not a brand specific caution, but that all slides should not be used when retracted.

If one takes a look at how the slide boxes are constructed... It doesn't take Rocket Scientist to understand why.The box is typically made to be light. The floor usually 5/8" or so plywood or OSB, The walls may be even thinner 1/2" or so with a filon skin. Anyone with any woodworking knowledge can tell you that the joint between the floor and the slide wall will not be very strong. When it is retracted it is just hanging in the air. (you don't like the floating word) Using the slide with the front edge unsupported as it would be when deployed, puts all of the weight on this weak joint.

That"s a fact.


You still haven't provided a single link to any documentation supporting your argument so are we to just accept your argument as "fact" simply because YOU say so? [emoticon]

rbpru

North Central Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/17/18 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My slide is only 16 inches deep. it contains the kitchen and the sofa/dog's bed. We use it in or out.

TTs are such unique devices it pays to go to the manufacturer for info. That is I how I found out I should not walk on the roof of my "Lite" TT, before I stepped on it.


Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.


TomG2

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/17/18 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

My slide is only 16 inches deep. it contains the kitchen and the sofa/dog's bed. We use it in or out.

TTs are such unique devices it pays to go to the manufacturer for info. That is I how I found out I should not walk on the roof of my "Lite" TT, before I stepped on it.


You don't rely on Internet experts for your information?

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 01/17/18 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

The plant manager told me this when I toured the factory after picking up my new Sabre.
He also said that was not a brand specific caution, but that all slides should not be used when retracted.

If one takes a look at how the slide boxes are constructed... It doesn't take Rocket Scientist to understand why.The box is typically made to be light. The floor usually 5/8" or so plywood or OSB, The walls may be even thinner 1/2" or so with a filon skin. Anyone with any woodworking knowledge can tell you that the joint between the floor and the slide wall will not be very strong. When it is retracted it is just hanging in the air. (you don't like the floating word) Using the slide with the front edge unsupported as it would be when deployed, puts all of the weight on this weak joint.

That"s a fact.


You still haven't provided a single link to any documentation supporting your argument so are we to just accept your argument as "fact" simply because YOU say so? [emoticon]


Sound off: It would take more effort to look it up to satisfy you.. And you are not worth the effort.Now you have a 48 page manual handy.. Where in that manual does it state that it's OK? If it does, YOU should post it for all to see.
You just stating it... In your own words.... Doesn't make it so.



Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.



SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/18/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

He also said that was not a brand specific caution, but that all slides should not be used when retracted.

That"s a fact.


SoundGuy wrote:

You still haven't provided a single link to any documentation supporting your argument so are we to just accept your argument as "fact" simply because YOU say so? [emoticon]


Huntindog wrote:

It would take more effort to look it up to satisfy you.. And you are not worth the effort.Now you have a 48 page manual handy.. Where in that manual does it state that it's OK? If it does, YOU should post it for all to see.
You just stating it... In your own words.... Doesn't make it so.


I'm not the one making the outrageous claim that manufacturers don't mention in their owners' manuals to not use their slides in the retracted position because they want to avoid paying out warranty claims for failed slide issues ... how silly. [emoticon] In cases where it's not mentioned, as is the case with my own Coachmen trailer, it's not mentioned because it's just not an issue. [emoticon] As for me being "not worth it" then why continue to argue ad nauseam when all you're doing is making your position even sillier. [emoticon]

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 01/18/18 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

He also said that was not a brand specific caution, but that all slides should not be used when retracted.

That"s a fact.


SoundGuy wrote:

You still haven't provided a single link to any documentation supporting your argument so are we to just accept your argument as "fact" simply because YOU say so? [emoticon]


Huntindog wrote:

It would take more effort to look it up to satisfy you.. And you are not worth the effort.Now you have a 48 page manual handy.. Where in that manual does it state that it's OK? If it does, YOU should post it for all to see.
You just stating it... In your own words.... Doesn't make it so.


I'm not the one making the outrageous claim that manufacturers don't mention in their owners' manuals to not use their slides in the retracted position because they want to avoid paying out warranty claims for failed slide issues ... how silly. [emoticon] In cases where it's not mentioned, as is the case with my own Coachmen trailer, it's not mentioned because it's just not an issue. [emoticon] As for me being "not worth it" then why continue to argue ad nauseam when all you're doing is making your position even sillier. [emoticon]
The 48 page manual you have.... I am sure it instructs you how to use the slide. It probably says something like: To activate the slide, hold the button in the out position until the slide stops moving. To retract the slide, hold the button in the in position until the slide stops moving in.

It most likely does not say to sit in the slide when is retracted.
What a manual says is important. What it does not say is also important.

As I have said repeatadly, I am unaware of any manufacturer that states it is OK... If you have proof that your manufacturer says it's OK, I would like to see it. Seriously.... There may be some out there that do. But it is a really safe bet that most do not



GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/18/18 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

He also said that was not a brand specific caution, but that all slides should not be used when retracted.

That"s a fact.


SoundGuy wrote:

You still haven't provided a single link to any documentation supporting your argument so are we to just accept your argument as "fact" simply because YOU say so? [emoticon]


Huntindog wrote:

It would take more effort to look it up to satisfy you.. And you are not worth the effort.Now you have a 48 page manual handy.. Where in that manual does it state that it's OK? If it does, YOU should post it for all to see.
You just stating it... In your own words.... Doesn't make it so.


I'm not the one making the outrageous claim that manufacturers don't mention in their owners' manuals to not use their slides in the retracted position because they want to avoid paying out warranty claims for failed slide issues ... how silly. [emoticon] In cases where it's not mentioned, as is the case with my own Coachmen trailer, it's not mentioned because it's just not an issue. [emoticon] As for me being "not worth it" then why continue to argue ad nauseam when all you're doing is making your position even sillier. [emoticon]
The 48 page manual you have.... I am sure it instructs you how to use the slide. It probably says something like: To activate the slide, hold the button in the out position until the slide stops moving. To retract the slide, hold the button in the in position until the slide stops moving in.

It most likely does not say to sit in the slide when is retracted.
What a manual says is important. What it does not say is also important.

As I have said repeatadly, I am unaware of any manufacturer that states it is OK... If you have proof that your manufacturer says it's OK, I would like to see it. Seriously.... There may be some out there that do. But it is a really safe bet that most do not


Why don’t you guys go to PM to keep your silly argument going?
(Rolly eyes emoji here)


Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

TomG2

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/18/18 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

Why don’t you guys go to PM to keep your silly argument going?
(Rolly eyes emoji here)


I don't want them to shut up and go away if they still have something to say in a somewhat civil manner. It is easy for those offended to block them, me, or anyone else who they do not want to see.

We have some members who feel they can prove a point by repeating it until they themselves believe it. They will spend two hundred words to make a point or discourage those that disagree with their opinion, whether it has validity or not. I say, "Let the discussions continue".

TomG2

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/18/18 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

What a manual says is important. What it does not say is also important.

You may or may not understand this, but I will try anyway. The fallacy in your position is that no owner's manual lists all the things that are perfectly okay to do with their product. No manual ever says, "It is okay to eat pizza in this unit. It is okay to drink a Coke in this trailer. It is okay to play the radio. It is okay to lean against the back of the dinette. It is up to you if you want to have a trash can." The list of things that are harmless would go on forever. Saying that all uses not explicitly approved in writing are prohibited is bad logic.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Newbie travel trailer buyer question - to slide out or not
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS