RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I got 1,200 lbs to work with - can I get a shell?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I got 1,200 lbs to work with - can I get a shell?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a possibility.
The'02 trucks rear springs are probably not what they were 16 years ago when new. After loading the camper the old truck may need some rear suspension help. Lots of aftermarket products to choose from.
Doing the math from actual scale weights makes it easy to find out how much load capacity your truck has..... 3686 minus 1960 = 1700 lbs you'll have to work with before exceeding a tire/wheel or rear spring pack. Those small semi float rear axle on older GMs didn't like to be ran overloaded.
Also you may want to invest in a LT C or D tire to replace those OEM passenger tires.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FourWheel or Caribou lite could work well. Make sure wheels and tires are adequate.
[image]
95 GMC 1500, Four Wheel Grandby, 2 months in Alaska, no problems.

Cal

Americamper

Anniston AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son had a Northstar TC 650 on a Nissan Titan CC,5'6" bed. We added airbags and E rated tires and it handled well. You can do a search and a lot of other people have had the same setup. If that truck can handle that camper then it should open up a lot of options. There are several Palominos in that same weight range as the Northstar TC 650. Northstar also makes a hardside called the Liberty that is supposed to be made to work on a 1/2 ton. However the Weight Police will probably jump in here shortly to clear things up.

2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be aware that advertised dry weights of campers are the joke of the industry.
No one ever actually scales a ready-to-go camper as light as that.

Don’t worry about the exact capacity of your truck as listed on the stickers.
It won’t break if you load a little more. People use half-tons a whole lot harder every day.

If you have passenger-car tires, get LT tires, you might want airbags or helper springs, drop on the pop-up of your choice and go camping. Airbags with onboard compressor are my favorite because you just press the button to firm it up whenever you want, press the other button to go back to stock soft when you’re empty.

99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.
This is how they should have built them!

Americamper

Anniston AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the new Mercedes Benz concept truck and hardside camper combo. I don't have a link but it is currently on Microsoft edge . The truck has an ultra short bed and can't be over a 1/2 ton.

breeves2245

Northwest Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After more reading, it seems that exceeding the GVWR by 10% or so is not that significant of a concern as long as I am under my GAWR. I got 1,250 lbs to work with per the GVWR and 1,700 lbs with the rear GAWR. So let's call it 1,500 lbs max for me.

I'm not comfortable exceeding limits. I have no experience with hauling truck campers or suspension modifications. Would most on this forum agree exceeding GVWR slightly but staying 10% under GAWR is not a big concern?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree that that is of 0 concern. You will be well within the limits if you stick to that.
I’ll quickly reiterate that 2000lb of payload is still within the relaible capabilities as well.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Americamper

Anniston AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Grit Dog.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I got 1,200 lbs to work with - can I get a shell?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS