RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: heater warm up ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> heater warm up ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assume that the only issue was to get heat into the truck cab as soon as possible ! Would you start truck and get up to up to hiway RPMs and speed quick or would you maybe travel slower in a lower gear .
Highway speed RPM sounds good except that puts colder air across radiator and motor .
What do ya think ?

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would start it up and let it idle in my driveway for 15 minutes while I eat my breakfast in the house.

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the advantage of remote start...heating and cooling before you get in the car/truck.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 my car is warming up right now.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the question , of the two choices what one do ya like . Many times letting the truck idle is not an option .

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas or diesel? Yes, it does make a difference.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My work car warms up very slowly. I have found it is best to start driving, but shift it in manual so that I keep my RPMs up. My commute is almost all highway, so may not work for you. Heated seats are nice. Also I learned to drive in cars without heaters, so I always just tried to get where I was going ASAP so I could get back in the heat. Your thermostat should make air over the radiator a non issue.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Gas or diesel? Yes, it does make a difference.

actually on a remote start and warmup, my diesel warms up pretty darn fast as long as the factory cold start high idle is enabled. Unlike diesels of old, on mine it bumps the idle to about1200 rpm and puts the turbo vanes in max backpressure position. 5-10 minutes and it's up to temp.

start cold and drive takes longer to warm up.

Both my cars will warm up pretty quick idling but faster driving. they both adjust shift point upwards quite a bit on cold start to get the engine to warm up quicker.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see you have a Cummins. Get the block heater plug if you don't already have it. Get a timer for your elec cord and plug the block heater in at night. I'm assuming this is for going to work. You'll have warm air way faster.
If you're randomly using your truck and a timer wouldn't work, then start it up and use the cruise control + set and it will rev the CTD up and it will warm up faster.
On a 30-35* night with my block heater on for 3-4 hours in the morning, my truck's temp will reach 170+/- a couple degree's in a little over a mile driving 30-35 mph. I go to the gym in the mornings and it's a short trip so having the truck warm up faster helps the truck and me.
FYI I have a 2012 CTD.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

Assume that the only issue was to get heat into the truck cab as soon as possible ! Would you start truck and get up to up to hiway RPMs and speed quick or would you maybe travel slower in a lower gear .
Highway speed RPM sounds good except that puts colder air across radiator and motor .
What do ya think ?
Make the engine work for fastest warm up. No need for full throttle but get it up on the highway for fast heat. If it still seems slow to warm check or replace the engine thermostat. The thermostat is made to fail open and can circulate coolant to the radiator when still cold.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> heater warm up ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS