|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Looking at buying a new truck for a camper, first time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
WyoBull

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the very least get the F350. I went from an F250 with 2496 lbs of payload to my current F350 which has 4226 lbs of payload. I don't see any ride difference between the two. We have a Northern Lite 8.11 and fully loaded wet it is between 3500-3700 lbs. I am within all of my weight specs on this camper but I do know the campers with a slide are going to be a fair amount heavier. Add your boat to it and in my opinion you are definitely pushing dually territory.

2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I am another 2500 SRW to 3500 DRW owner / convert.
Dually is far nicer, in my opinion. Better stability and all the rest.
The true test and endorsement comes from the passenger seat, when she tells people to get a dually to carry a big camper. "It rides so much nicer, and is more stable on the gravel roads that we have travelled."
This without prompting from me.
As far as daily driver, I don't work anymore, but I still have my Nissan Versa. It sips fuel rides nicely and at times thinks it is a truck when I load tools and stuff into it. When I was working , it used about $45.00 per month in fuel, whereas the truck would have gone through $150 in the same time frame.
Brian

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

4x4crazy

Rocklin, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not set on having to get a camper with a slide out. It's just a preferenace but the Lance I was looking at with a slide (855S) has a listed weight of 3200lbs wet and 2900 dry. If I went without the slide then the ones I am seeing are around 2000 lbs. I am not really interested in a dually. This truck is my daily driver.

2017 Ford F-250 Platinum, Crew Cab, SB
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 3.31 Gears, 4x4

Gripnriprod

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As has been stated here often, select the camper then buy the truck to carry it. In your case, you will need to reserve payload for the tongue weight of your trailer and as noted, the hitch and extension to get past the TC bumper will add weight. The issue of daily driver throws a kink in the mix. IMHO you will not end up with a nimble daily driver if you properly size your truck to carry a single slide TC and tow a 5klbs boat/trailer. There are a lot of variables to consider: diesel or gas, two wheel or four wheel drive, single, extended or crew cab, manual or automatic transmission...

'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of these posts may be a little pessimistic. We carry a 9.5’ fiberglass single slide camper that’s pretty well equipped (A/C, micro, rear awning). It comes to about 4K wet and loaded to camp. The slide only adds 200 lbs so not a big adder. Ours rides on a stock (except shocks) 2005 SRW Chevy 3500 and it handled fine to me for the past 10 years. We also tow a ~2k lb cargo trailer most of the time on an 18” extension.

An 8.5’ model with slide should easily be under 4K. Skip heavy options like A/C, generator and microwave to lighten it even more. Run with the water tank less than full (240lbs on that Lance). You also may not need an extension to tow, particularly with a longer tongue on a boat trailer that also tend to have lighter tongue weight.

Do pay attention to the listed weights in brochures as they usually say “with standard features.” Options can add plenty of weight.

Would a dually be better...sure and I’ll recommend one but I’m not convinced it’s a requirement. A lot depends upon the camper, truck and driver’s comfort level.

Siletzspey

Shedd, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/18 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought an F350 SRW with camper package in 2015, and an NL 9'6" QSE last week. Despite lots of due diligence and math, in big retrospect I can't help but observe trucks carry far less than expected/advertised, and campers weigh far more than expected/advertised. Wet+humans+dogs+stuff plus 2855 dry camper on a 3883 rated payload truck left me far short of the margin I had imagined back in 2015. Stunning and humbling.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/18 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rbertalotto wrote:

Go BIG or go home the saying goes. Buy the 350 and don’t look back and don’t regret that you should have bought s bigger truck.

X4700

Buy once and don't look back - get a 350 / 3500.

Towing that much weight and hauling a truck camper, I'd go dually, but since it is your daily driver, a dually might not be practical.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09) with an AF811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2006 Silverado 2500HD, D/A, CCSB 4x4 with an empty truck bed (owned 2 years, Feb 2014-Feb 2016)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

GeoBoy

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/18 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don’t mind buying a couple of trucks then start with the SRW 350/3500 and then buy the dually. If you are concerned with the ride of an empty 1 ton truck then buy a GM and air the tires down to 55 lbs.. I have had both SRW and now a dually 1 ton trucks and the fuel mileage is the same, handling is not a problem.

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/18 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Truck camper, towing 5000 you are going to want a dually. For one you will probably be over the tire load ratings of a SRW on the rear axle. I had a F350 SRW and towed my horse trailer behind my TC and I had to upgrade to 19.5 commercial truck tires and wheels to not be over the tire rating. I now have a F350 DRW and the handling is so much better that there is now way I would ever go back to a SRW.

X2. Never will go back to a SRW truck.

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/18 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billyray50 wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Truck camper, towing 5000 you are going to want a dually. For one you will probably be over the tire load ratings of a SRW on the rear axle. I had a F350 SRW and towed my horse trailer behind my TC and I had to upgrade to 19.5 commercial truck tires and wheels to not be over the tire rating. I now have a F350 DRW and the handling is so much better that there is now way I would ever go back to a SRW.

X2. Never will go back to a SRW truck.

And Bill's got a great truck (I have same one, even same color)

2016 Arctic Fox 990
2018 Ram 3500 Cummins DRW 2wd Aisin 3:73, 8' bed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Looking at buying a new truck for a camper, first time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS