|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AF990 on F350 CC SRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Premium Forged Polished Aluminum (F-250-F-350 SRW)
18" x 8.0" J
40 (1.57)
170 (6.7)

The 4x4 shows with 20" wheels but the same weight rating. So 7000's when multiplied by two. Being the max that is.

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JD5150 wrote:

GeoBoy wrote:

I have an AF 990 and it weighs with gear and water 4,600+ lbs. Arctic Fox literature use to state that their campers were designed to be mounted on dual rear wheel trucks. We did an 8,600+ mile trip out west to visit 10 NP’s. We encountered dust devils in Nevada that would move our well equipped dually into the other lane, we spent a lot of time in the mountains on twisty roads and I wouldn’t advise an AF 990 on any SRW truck. Can it be done, anything is possible, but I RV because I want to enjoy the journey. Placing that camper on a SRW truck isn’t my idea of enjoyment.

I agree with that much weight it will have control over you and your truck.
Better to go lighter for single rear wheel.
If you can get a little under 3000 lbs dry weight you will be much happier on hauling a truck camper. Just my 2 cents.

Which dry rate? I'm being a little cheeky here since AF claims it's 3010 dry weight [emoticon] and dropping 'a little' from there can't make any difference frankly.

What I'm reading online is that if you want to stay under GVRW in an SRW you will need a 2000lbs camper, dry weight. I had one, truck barely registered that it was back there (a good thing) but that was a 25 year old camper that needed a LOT more work than I was willing to do (anymore since I'd already done a ton to it)...and I don't want a popup so I seem to be pretty limitted.

I might add that I'm seeing a LOT of DRW's that are overloaded.

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

emcvay wrote:

JD5150 wrote:

GeoBoy wrote:

I have an AF 990 and it weighs with gear and water 4,600+ lbs. Arctic Fox literature use to state that their campers were designed to be mounted on dual rear wheel trucks. We did an 8,600+ mile trip out west to visit 10 NP’s. We encountered dust devils in Nevada that would move our well equipped dually into the other lane, we spent a lot of time in the mountains on twisty roads and I wouldn’t advise an AF 990 on any SRW truck. Can it be done, anything is possible, but I RV because I want to enjoy the journey. Placing that camper on a SRW truck isn’t my idea of enjoyment.

I agree with that much weight it will have control over you and your truck.
Better to go lighter for single rear wheel.
If you can get a little under 3000 lbs dry weight you will be much happier on hauling a truck camper. Just my 2 cents.

Which dry rate? I'm being a little cheeky here since AF claims it's 3010 dry weight [emoticon] and dropping 'a little' from there can't make any difference frankly.

What I'm reading online is that if you want to stay under GVRW in an SRW you will need a 2000lbs camper, dry weight. I had one, truck barely registered that it was back there (a good thing) but that was a 25 year old camper that needed a LOT more work than I was willing to do (anymore since I'd already done a ton to it)...and I don't want a popup so I seem to be pretty limitted.

I might add that I'm seeing a LOT of DRW's that are overloaded.

I don't know if it is the dry weight. I think a slide and height that sucks on a SRW. A non basement camper without a slide would be perfect for a SRW but you do see basement hard side campers on a SRW without a slide and they seem to haul them around fine. I see a lot of Northern Lite and Bigfoots on a SRW. I don't know how deep the basements are in those. I think they are around 3000 lbs dry weight.

My F350 SRW bottom of the bed floor is sitting around 39 to 42 inches off the ground. If I put a 10 foot tall camper in the back I will be over 13 foot tall.

My 2003 Chevy 2500 HD bed floor sits higher than F450. I do have 19.5 rims and tires on it. When I had my truck camper back in 2010 it needed to go back to the manufacturer for repairs. Guy who brought it back to me was driving a F450 and he unloaded my camper off his truck and he helped me load it in my Chevy. He said your truck doesn't sit higher than my F450 and I said no I don't think so and we were both wrong. He had to go up with the camper 3 to 4 inches when I backed up to it [emoticon]. I have no lift on it just Super Springs and air bags. I did have the torsion bars done in the front to fit the 19.5 inch tires

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my weight slip, without camper, me and wife in truck with full fuel and DEF.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 dually 4 door.

This shows the truck weighs 9220

[image]

Here is my weight slip, with 990, me and wife in truck with full fuel and def.
camper has food and cloths for a couple days. gray/black is empty.
camper had 2 100w solar cells (35 lbs?), Colman Mac AC, Full propane, Honda 2K is on rack in front of truck.
Towing a trailer with a tong weight of around 300 lbs.

This (below)shows truck weighs 13,980 lbs. (my GVWR is 14,000)
- 9220 empty weight, - 300 lb tong weight - Arctic Fox 990 camper weighs 4460 lb
[image]

2016 Arctic Fox 990
2018 Ram 3500 Cummins DRW 2wd Aisin 3:73, 8' bed.
Torklift Lower stableloads - Bigwig sway bar.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have already placed the order for the camper, I would be looking for a dually or talking to the dealer about changing campers, delaying, or canceling the order.
What is the "yellow sticker" payload capacity of your truck?

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So really, no one in a F350 DRW should be hauling anything bigger/heavier than the 990.

Which means all 1140's and 1150's should be on F450 or F550's

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

emcvay wrote:

So really, no one in a F350 DRW should be hauling anything bigger/heavier than the 990.

Which means all 1140's and 1150's should be on F450 or F550's

You make a good point!

The bottom line IMO is,if you can deal with the sway of the 990 on your truck,go for it.Lot's of people do it and with heavier campers than the 990.Heck,the AF-811 overloads alot of Dually trucks.

My Lance 480/9.6 says it weighs 2754 pounds/no-slide/no-basement and when I have it loaded to the gill in every fender well with tools/extra batteries/chains/shovels and axes etc...I am just barely under my GVWR and I have 4600 pounds of payload(Whatever than really means)..I most likely will be slightly over GVWR when I haul my ATV trailer.

I know sway very well with other campers I have had,it bothers my wife more than it bothers me..It bothers some and not so much others..

I say,if your heart is set on that 990,go for it..You will never get approval on an internet forum for being over weight by 10 pounds(laughing)...

'94 Ford F-350 DRW/460 EFI(91K miles)/Lance 9.6/Happijac's/Helwig SB/Reese solid bar extension/Firestone bags and siped AT3's.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to follow all the numbers on the manufacturer warranty sticker, a minimally optioned AF990 may be able to be towed by a stripped Class 3 SRW model configured for maximum payload. Once you add a towing requirement to your combination, you will not find a SRW that will not be over at least one of those numbers. Depending on the options you choose for truck and truck camper, you may also find that that the only way to stay within all stickered numbers is driving a DRW.

In my case, the current camper I have chosen barely can be carried most modern Class 3 DRW trucks. Because I tow a heavy trailer while carrying a heavy camper, I drive a Class 5 DRW truck. My AF811 empty was over the payload sticker of my F250, but with minimal upgrades it would carry it without any issues. Once I added my trailer on the back, more expensive upgrades had to be done to make this combination reliable and safe. I researched that truck's individual pieces to find actual component manufacturers and their ratings, then I upgraded the weakest ones to bring back a safety margin and improve load handling.

Yes, if you look at heavily optioned AF1140's or 1150's, they may be too heavy for certain configurations of a Class 3 DRW if you go by the manufacturer warranty sticker.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going with the 990 but am not opposed to trading in my F350 SRW for a F350 DRW if I can find the right deal [emoticon] I've only got 42k miles on it and it's worth about $32k on trade in so I can probably get a decent deal moving into a DRW if I find the SRW just doesn't feel right going down the road.

I'm looking at options but will start with the SRW with all the upgrades I can put on it (within reason, I'm not putting 19.5" tires and wheels on it or I might as well spend the money and get a DRW).

I got the SRW because I drive offroad a fair bit and felt the DRW might be more trouble in the snow offroad etc

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To stay with a SRW, you may need to go to 19.5" wheels in order to get sufficient tire and rim capacity. These commercial tires do well on varied terrain except for places where you need flotation over the media on the ground since they are much stiffer and require higher minimum tire pressures.

Suspension upgrades you should be reviewing are upper and lower Torklift StableLoads, Helwig or Roadmaster rear stabilizer bar (if you don't have the OEM) and heavier dampened shocks from Rancho or Blistein. If the StableLoad setup is insufficient to keep you level, you probably also need the wheel upgrade and will need to decide how much you want to modify your current truck or whether to start over with a larger one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AF990 on F350 CC SRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS