RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: State Park Stay Limitations-how to deal?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> State Park Stay Limitations-how to deal?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Lynndann

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, we would like to retire with our rv full-time. We plan to stay in state/national parks and on federal lands such as BLM, state forests, etc. and do not plan on using any private campgrounds or rv parks.

Our question to all of you is this: How do you deal with the stay limitations of most state and national parks? I can't imagine picking up and moving every 14 days. We would like to stay in a lot of places for more than that time.

I know some people "pick up" and go down the street to another location and then come back, but I can't imagine doing that or how unsettling it must be to have to keep moving and hope there's a spot, then come back. That doesn't seem relaxing at all.

Please let us know how you full timers handle this particular issue, we would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp hosting or volunteering will get you 30 days or more in any one place. If your looking for months at a time you might as well rent apartments.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

14 day limit means 14 day and then get out

That means you pack up and leave so that someone else can use the facility/park

We FTd for 7 yrs and moved weekly/bi-monthly traveling to a new location within 250 miles so that we could explore that area and then move on
Our whole idea of FTng was to 'travel'

We used State/National Parks, City Parks, Fairgrounds, BLM/Boondocking and even private parks.
Abiding by the 'rules/restrictions/limitations' that were in effect because they applied to us/others---everybody.

Want to stay longer in a particulate area.........then move every 14 days to another park OR stay at a public/private CG and pay a 'monthly fee'

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"How do you deal with the stay limitations of most state and national parks?"

I follow the rules so others can enjoy the spot I was in. You are not special...follow the rules. It is not "unsettling" to move your RV. This may not be the life for you.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure that if they were your rules you would want everyone to abide by them. Sounds like you don't want to pay regular camp site prices. Go up to a farmer and ask him if you can camp in his field for a month or so.

Dennis Hoppert

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most, generally, have the rule that you can be on one site for 14 days than then have to leave for at least 3 days. Sometimes folks are able to get around this by staying the 14 days on one spot and then 14 days on another spot in the same park, but absolute no guarantees you'll be able to get along with this very long, if at all.

If you are doing these type of campgrounds, then you'll need to make 14 day reservations at different parks, out as far as you can anticipate, and if you want to stay in the area, then cycle through again for more 14 day reservations.

But the 14 day rule is there for a reason. Otherwise, you always have the option of private campgrounds that offer rates on a monthly, or seasonal basis and then just visiting by car the places you want to see.

But yes, you'll have to move after 14 days.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

lj2654

Weeki Wachee, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just the way it works. You have to plan way ahead for the state parks reservations.

We don't put a lot of things out or really carry more than the basics. That way you can be ready to head out in less than an hour.

We have already made our reservations from June of this year till the middle of December.

We are staying in Florida till March of 2019, then we are heading out of state to destinations unknown at this time.

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch out for the parks with two limits: X days for a single stay and Y cumulative days for a year.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a nice idea being able to stay in state and national parks, but from what I have seen, none or very few of them have a weekly or bi-weekly rate. With nightly fees around 30 to 40 dollars a night, that would be an expensive monthly cost compared to private rv parks that have weekly and monthly discounts.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Camp hosting or volunteering will get you 30 days or more in any one place. If your looking for months at a time you might as well rent apartments.

I would like to see the OP do that. Imagine if one of the duties was to keep records and notify the ranger of violators of the 14 day rule.

HTH;
John

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> State Park Stay Limitations-how to deal?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS