RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Was just gifted a RV. Excited but worried. 80 dodge jamboree

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Was just gifted a RV. Excited but worried. 80 dodge jamboree

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
adelii

tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

Free is good, but sometimes has long strings attached. I'd treat it as my training ground for the next three years... Do the basic maintenance everyone said -like gospel. Then stay in it a night and see what you think- on your driveway.
Then go to the closest Campground for a weekend, and keep learning. Then take a weekend trip -close enough to be towed home.

Rv'ng is a lifestyle choice, aka requires disposable income and a focus on the word choice. Everything costs money, not a lot- unless you choose to 'invest' it.

By the time you get to forty, you'll know if it's for you, or you'll have had your fun and be ready to travel in a different way.

Be deliberate, spontaneous, and also safe- just remember to Enjoy EVERY Moment. Your biggest dream just came true, literally lol.

This is a great reply man thanks. And I totally agree. there will be a lot of nights staying in my driveway and getting used to the rv for sure. Plus, the wife aint going anywhere until im sure that it can make it. Im not to worried about the van aspect of the rv. we have plenty of old cars in the house. Im more worried about the water tanks, generator, propane system and first order of business water leaks. Good thing it doesnt rain to much over here

adelii

tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

You would be surprised at how many "older" motorhomes you see out there on the road. Here's how I would look at it. . .

I wouldn't plan on making long cross country trips, but I would clean it up and learn as much as you can about the systems and how they work. I would think your FIL would have some knowledge and be willing to give you some advice.

Once you have her cleaned and fixed up, take her out for weekends at a local park or state park, lake, etc., that has a campground. Enjoy the time together and don't be worried. . . things will not always go as planned, but you should be able to have some fun.

For the money it costs you to fix her up and enjoy those weekends, I think your investment will actually be quite small. You can decide if you like "camping" and what you would change if you could. Camping on the weekends will give you a chance to meet other campers and exchange ideas and stories.

Why not give it a go? When I see old campers in the campground, I tell my husband. . . "they are having just as much fun as we are." Good luck!

Dale

Thanks Dale,

Im giving it a go for sure. Like the last reply, im definitily starting slow, but my ultimate goal is to get it to different states. I figured they made these things to go cross country, hopefully I can get it back close to its former glory.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

top left corner looks like some white putty? if so start there find that leak ,see how rotten the wood is under there. then decide if its repairable. good luck you,.ll have lots a fun.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/18 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome! If you can commit the funds the time the energy, this could be nice.

To add to the suggestions, of course it should be re-sealed. Learn how to do that right with the right products. Tip One: NO Silicone Based Products!!! They may work for awhile but leave a residue that's about impossible to remove so the right products like Dicor and Eternabond will stick.

Tip Two: Get a Furnace Blower. Make an adapter to temporarily seal it to a body opening and use it to pressurize the whole coach interior. Then you can spray soap solution all along every seam and joint from the outside. The bubbles will tell you where any leaks originate. It takes something bigger than a leaf blower or shop vac because there are so many natural leaks in an RV. Fridge Vent, Range Hood, Door Vents in Cockpit to name a few.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/18 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on your new-to-you project RV. It sounds like you have the right aptitude and attitude to make this an adventure rather than a horror story.

While it is likely the roof hasn't leaked yet, it is possible that moving it will create those leaks, so the first thing I'd tackle is the roof. It might not rain much in your neck of the woods, but it might not be a bad idea to throw a tarp over it when you get it home until you can reseal that roof.

Lots of experts on here to answer questions and help with advice. Some of it may actually prove useful. Good luck, have fun, and May the Force Be With You!

adelii

tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

Welcome! If you can commit the funds the time the energy, this could be nice.

To add to the suggestions, of course it should be re-sealed. Learn how to do that right with the right products. Tip One: NO Silicone Based Products!!! They may work for awhile but leave a residue that's about impossible to remove so the right products like Dicor and Eternabond will stick.

Tip Two: Get a Furnace Blower. Make an adapter to temporarily seal it to a body opening and use it to pressurize the whole coach interior. Then you can spray soap solution all along every seam and joint from the outside. The bubbles will tell you where any leaks originate. It takes something bigger than a leaf blower or shop vac because there are so many natural leaks in an RV. Fridge Vent, Range Hood, Door Vents in Cockpit to name a few.

I have already been looking at all kinds of videos on youtube on how to reseal windows and roof vents. I have already put some Dicor sealant, and butyl putty tape in my amazon cart. Currently charging the battery to get this thing out of my FIL's Lawn and purchasing a deep cycle battery. Any suggestions on a battery?

adelii

tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Congratulations on your new-to-you project RV. It sounds like you have the right aptitude and attitude to make this an adventure rather than a horror story.

While it is likely the roof hasn't leaked yet, it is possible that moving it will create those leaks, so the first thing I'd tackle is the roof. It might not rain much in your neck of the woods, but it might not be a bad idea to throw a tarp over it when you get it home until you can reseal that roof.

Lots of experts on here to answer questions and help with advice. Some of it may actually prove useful. Good luck, have fun, and May the Force Be With You!

I know this is gonna be up and downs for sure, I have restored some old motorcycles and Cars so i know the pain and money involved. I think its a huge accomplishment and ownership pride when you get the old vintage out and functioning. Its the only attitude i have. And plus it was free! No way im spending more then 5-6k to fix this if my FIL tells me the motor, tranny and generator are working. I hope...

adelii

tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

I don't want to rain on your parade.... but unless you are very mechanically skilled, you will be better off selling it for scrap. There is no gasket, caulk, or piece of rubber on that thing that is not completely dry rotted and cracked. It may also have a good bit of mouse damage.

It may not be molded/rotted if it's spent most of its life in Arizona.

Now if you have some remote place you could park it and use it for a cabin, it might function like a hard-sided tent. Get it there on a flat-bed tow truck. Put it up on blocks. You could replace all the soft furnishings---mattress, sofa, etc, and use it for a camping spot.

[emoticon] you made me sad for a second.

challenge accepted though.

adelii

tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Son of Norway wrote:

Look at what I have, I wouldn't have any business raining on your parade. We started out with a 1972 Winnebago. Step 1: Make sure it will run. Step 2: Make sure it will stop. Then take it from there. Go on the forum to ask any specific questions. Welcome to the forum.

I love it! I feel so happy when i see old vintage motorhomes on the road.

It runs and stops, according to my in law. Ill find out today.

maintenance and sealing coming up.

adelii

tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/18 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I have a 1975 Dodge American Clipper class C so I can offer some "been there done that" advice:

1. Replace all the rubber. That means tires, belt, hoses, etc. Including fuel lines. Vehicles that old can have pinprick holes in the fuel line which not only drop your mpg, but can be very dangerous.

2. Have the propane system checked out thoroughly. Again, a leak could be very dangerous.

Now you get to the rest of the stuff:

3. Reseal all the edges, windows, vents, etc. At this point, just seal so you don't get anymore damage than may already be there. Then you can do repair/reconstruction work on old leak damage. Remember to always check for leaks after a rain - it only takesone storm to do a whole lot of damage.

According to vinwiz.com, your chassis is actually a 1979. This is common to have the chassis be a year prior to the house. It is also a 440 engine. The 440s commonly have overheating issues due to the confined space in the doghouse. So you may find you need to make some adjustments for best operation.

Take it slow and easy and you may find you have a great RV. There are many on the road today.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like more resources, etc.

Amazing advice buddy. Will do! I will be pming you to see if you can help me identify what i have here. Id like to do a bit more research.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Was just gifted a RV. Excited but worried. 80 dodge jamboree
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS