|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Odd things that Happen when on the Road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev
Sponsored By:
OFDPOS

Nor Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got off work pulling a double , now had hour and a half drive home.
Moonless night so it dark as can be, all I saw was the flash BANG then only one headlight shining straight ahead.

After saying a few choice words looking in my mirror and seeing a deer fling off the road I continued on down the mountain, figured if it got the radiator the temp gauge would rise.

Another 25 miles into town I come up to a T stop. Made a right turn , no rub so thought maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought, pull up to main street made another right turn, still no rubbing.
Next light made wide left turn , no noise/rubbing.

Two blocks down had to make a hard left to pull onto side street to park by the post office to get my weekly mail and that's when the loud screech noise came in.
There was a bar right across the side street , about 4-5 people out front smoking their cigs starting pointing and laughing.
When I got out they were all cheering me, yelled nice trophy ?!
I'm thinking what the heck are they talking about, they started walking over to me and I thought awe **** this ain't going to be good.

They walk around to the front of my truck pointing and laughing at the antler sticking in my hood/grille, 4 pointer , but it was broke/sheered off.

Yep grille busted out , hood crumpled up, left fender peeled back, headlight assembly hanging by the bulb wires and bumper bent back just enough that the tire only rubbed making a hard left turn...

Now to think back that would have been a good Farmers Insurance commercial...

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was working on the Navajo Res some years ago doing mine reclamation. One morning our main mine manager shows up late. His friend hit a horse standing in the road for the heat around midnight. The right front pillar of the small car hit the horse in the neck severing his head which came through the windshield and landed in the front passenger seat. The driver was unhurt, but the Tribal Police were trying to figure out why the driver was laughing when they arrived at the scene to a car full of blood.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/18 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OFDPOS wrote:

Got off work pulling a double , now had hour and a half drive home.
Moonless night so it dark as can be, all I saw was the flash BANG then only one headlight shining straight ahead.

After saying a few choice words looking in my mirror and seeing a deer fling off the road I continued on down the mountain, figured if it got the radiator the temp gauge would rise.

Another 25 miles into town I come up to a T stop. Made a right turn , no rub so thought maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought, pull up to main street made another right turn, still no rubbing.
Next light made wide left turn , no noise/rubbing.

Two blocks down had to make a hard left to pull onto side street to park by the post office to get my weekly mail and that's when the loud screech noise came in.
There was a bar right across the side street , about 4-5 people out front smoking their cigs starting pointing and laughing.
When I got out they were all cheering me, yelled nice trophy ?!
I'm thinking what the heck are they talking about, they started walking over to me and I thought awe **** this ain't going to be good.

They walk around to the front of my truck pointing and laughing at the antler sticking in my hood/grille, 4 pointer , but it was broke/sheered off.

Yep grille busted out , hood crumpled up, left fender peeled back, headlight assembly hanging by the bulb wires and bumper bent back just enough that the tire only rubbed making a hard left turn...

Now to think back that would have been a good Farmers Insurance commercial...

When you started this story I thought you were going to say there was a second deer and that you were dragging it the entire time.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/18 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

I was working on the Navajo Res some years ago doing mine reclamation. One morning our main mine manager shows up late. His friend hit a horse standing in the road for the heat around midnight. The right front pillar of the small car hit the horse in the neck severing his head which came through the windshield and landed in the front passenger seat. The driver was unhurt, but the Tribal Police were trying to figure out why the driver was laughing when they arrived at the scene to a car full of blood.

Wow,, Lucky guy

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/18 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to work out of Laramie, WY. One morning a guy comes in late. He had hit a deer on the way to work. He said it was the 9th one he has hit.

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/18 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in 2001, I was driving to the San Diego airport to catch a plane to go back East for a funeral.

On my way, I stopped at a traffic light and next to me I see this medium brown metallic 1976 Cadillac Sedan De Ville in excellent shape. I'm a car nut and took notice of the car and saw a guy in his 40's driving it. The light turned green and off we went. He was ahead of me and before I knew it, he was climbing a light pole which cause his car to flip on its roof.

It all happened so fast! The car was demolished on the front passenger side. The guy was still in his seatbelt but was unconscious. I jumped out of my Jeep and ran over to the car. I started knocking on the window but there was no response. He was either dead or knocked out.

I tried to open the doors but they were either jammed or locked. The hood of the car was open from the crash and I could see fuel dripping from the carburetor. It was starting to catch fire. Just at that time, a lot of people were out of their cars trying to help. Someone brought over a fire extinguisher and started to spray the motor.

I really didn't know if I should break the window shattering glass on the guy and then wondered how we would get him out since the door was jammed. I was so glad the fire dept. arrived to take care of everything. Now that help was there, I jumped in my Jeep to continue to the airport.

I checked on-line and in the newspaper to see if there was ever an article but I never saw the outcome. I sure hope the guy was OK. The seatbelt sure kept him in his seat.

MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

Keithk3628

Jacksonville Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/18 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15 years ago my buddy was driving home from work and was behind a older lady as she hit a deer, he stopped to help her and she was so upset about the deer he told her not to worry he would dispose of the deer so it wasn't left on the road, she thanked him and he tossed it into the cab of his truck as the bed was full of construction tools, he was thinking to take it to the house and see what meat he could salvage.

Well a mile or so down the road the dang thing comes back to life in the cab and starts to kick the heck out of him and the cab of the truck, he had his hands full trying to keep from getting the snot kicked out of him and stopping the truck.

He came to work the next day and looked like he had just returned from the war, that young buck had almost killed him in the cab of his truck, after some stitches at the emergency room and a new windshield the deer made a tasty meal, but i believe that was the most costly venison he had ever cooked.

Not too long after that incident we were camping at Laura Walker state park in Georgia and listening to a ranger talk about stopping to toss a dead snake from the road into his pickup bed, and when he got to the office he was going to toss it into the dumpster and when he reached into the truck bed it bit him and he was off to the emergency room, well after that I decided to not pick up dead things from the road.

Keith

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/18 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keithk3628 wrote:

15 years ago my buddy was driving home from work and was behind a older lady as she hit a deer, he stopped to help her and she was so upset about the deer he told her not to worry he would dispose of the deer so it wasn't left on the road, she thanked him and he tossed it into the cab of his truck as the bed was full of construction tools, he was thinking to take it to the house and see what meat he could salvage.

Well a mile or so down the road the dang thing comes back to life in the cab and starts to kick the heck out of him and the cab of the truck, he had his hands full trying to keep from getting the snot kicked out of him and stopping the truck.

He came to work the next day and looked like he had just returned from the war, that young buck had almost killed him in the cab of his truck, after some stitches at the emergency room and a new windshield the deer made a tasty meal, but i believe that was the most costly venison he had ever cooked.

~snip~

That's one heck of an experience!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Odd things that Happen when on the Road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS