|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Odd things that Happen when on the Road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Several years ago (not RVing), had a deer jump out in front of me at 3:30 am. It was so fast, there was no time to react. The crazy animal landed on top of my hood (car), and his head was on the windshield right in front of me. His tongue was hanging out, like he was trying to lick the windshield. The whole thing sent me into a shock! I slammed on the brakes, he slid off, stood up, and jumped over the side of the road and gone!

Left me with a broken headlight, broken grill, dented hood, all that plastic trim around the grill, and the drivers side fender buckled! Insurance fixed all, minus my deductible.

Funny,.... got the car fixed and driving down the same road another night. I'm definitely over cautious now ... I see something on the side of the road my headlights catch. I immediately hit panic mode and slam on the brakes. It just stands there almost defying me to come forward, ... like ... "Come on forward buster, I'm just waiting to jump on top of you again!"

I proceeded further, still the defiant thing refused to budge. I nudged closer and then my headlights were finally in full view! It was a mail box!

To this day, mailboxes on the side of the road spark a bit of paranoia in me.

Lol, yep. After you’ve whacked a deer or elk, every roadside reflector looks like an ungulate standing in the ditch!

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe we should request a moderator split this off into a separate topic? "Hits and near misses with wildlife, technology, and humanity".

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bacil

Currently outside US

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years back when i was in service i was returning back to barracks from the leave. I had this Eastern German car called TRABANT, basically steel frame and fibreglass body with two stroke, two cylinder engine.

As i was driving through the woods say 11pm-ish, all the sudden i got hit on the passanger side (mind you this was on straight through the woods). after i stopped spinning (i did about 280deg. spin) i looked and there was a BOAR he just charged my car :-).

Long story short, i had to get another car as it lost completely one side, and that time i didnt want to sped time with fibreglass :-) and boar walkedd happily back to woods.

Admin

Channel Islands Harbor, Ca.

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Maybe we should request a moderator split this off into a separate topic? "Hits and near misses with wildlife, technology, and humanity".

Sorry but we have no way to do that.

Admin
RV.net

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago in the Black Hills, I saw a Class A that had been attacked by a bison. Not pretty.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

RWjSIM2003

Salem

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 5 years ago we were on I5 in Washington state in our class A MH. Speed was about 60mph and came up on a turn with a flock of birds on the side of the road. They took off just as we approached and three of them hit the windshield and bounced off but one went through the air conditioner cover and ripped it clean off the MH. When we pulled off at the next exit I went up on the roof of the MH to check the damage. The bird comes crawling out of what was left of the cover and flies away.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on I 10 out of AZ hit a swarm of bee,s .

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Driving up the Alaskan Highway through the Yukon. Hadn't seen another car for 4 hours (or much of anything else but beautiful scenery). As we crested a hill we saw a station wagon do the same thing across the wooded valley. We headed towards each other and then just as we are about 100 yards from passing each other a 6 foot black bear bounded out of the woods, into the gully that served as a shoulder, and then up across the road right between both of us as we were slamming on our brakes. Then things turned peaceful once again.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Admin wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Sorry but we have no way to do that.

Admin
RV.net

No harm in asking.
Thanks.

ctilsie242

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my current rig, it was hitting a buzzard, and it remained spread-eagled (or spread-buzzarded) on the grille, until I got home and manually peeled it off.

I've dodged wheelbarrows, bicycles, and "gators" (semi retreads which separate), but the worst was when a ladder flew off a slow van I was stupidly tailgating at the time. It flew over my vehicle, and obliterated the windshield of a vehicle behind me. You should have seen how fast that van sped up once they realized damage happened, but I was lucky enough to get the license plate and the company, and hand it to the driver behind me after we both pulled over.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Odd things that Happen when on the Road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS