|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> going out to eat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with everything above. If a CLASS A, B, or C, you need to toad. Otherwise, get a trailer you can tow, Travel Trailer or 5er. This way you have independent transportation from your housing quarters.

Your choice where you eat and how much you eat. We do a mix ourselves, a lot depends on how much we've been exploring or playing and where we are if we eat out or not.

We're getting older, and we're finding out we're eating a lot less now. I use to be able to consume 2 T-bone steaks and a couple bakes potatoes, with salad, half a pie for desert, and a large glass of milk.

Now, my wife and I split a Porterhouse, she takes the small side, I take the larger, and we split a large baked potato, and eat a single slice of pie 3 hours later. We stopped doing buffets completely about 3 years ago when we realized how much less we are eating now.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago there was a couple in the area, their only vehicle was a smsll Class C.
They took it everywhere.
I think a B would be a good choice for your lifestyle.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 3 kids and do what you are imagining all the time. We frequently use our RV as more of a rolling hotel room on trips. We like to get out and do things, eat out sometimes (and in others), etc... We don't find it to be problematic at all. The key is selecting campgrounds. As others have said, many of the government parks will be too far out of the way for that style - we stay primarily in private parks (anything from single-owner parks to a KOA/Yogi). We've found it to be the best of both worlds.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my wife and I were alive we bought sa 38' Class A Gasser. it can tow up to 4,000 pounds (5000 pound hitch but only 4,000 pounds difference between scaled weight of House and Max CGVW rating of 26,000 pounds)

I tow a 2,500 pound 2001 Dodge Neon behind it , added lube pump to keep tranny cool while I tow, Takes me less than 5 minutes (Way way way less) to hook up and "Drop" (2 pins, two safety cables and the 2 brake control Snap Pull Click and done) 8 MPG consist, 25 MPG running out to dinner et-al.

Modern cars do a whole lot better on the "Run around" (like 35 or more MPG)

Think about this 100 miles of Round Running, at 8 MPG is 12.5 Gallons
At 25 it's 4 a savings of 8.5 gallons or about 21 dollars.. It is 17 miles to CDhurch (34 round trip) from where I'm parked. So I drive at least 70 miles a week. The car cost me 2,000 and fitting for towing 2,000 so at 15/week it would take me 266 weeks to pay for the car.. 5 years. I've been driving It will have paid for itself later this year. (I got it summer 2013)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we,ve been there ,now just the two of us we bought a ltv sprinter ,you can drive it any where. we don,t stay months at a time in one spot so no use for a bigger rv. p.s we like the small town mom pop. cafe. and the amish eateries.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We eat out and explore towns regularly when we camp. Some trips we use the camper to "camp" and be away from everything, others we use it as a rolling hotel to explore a city.

Our spring break plan is to explore New Orleans. There are actually some campgrounds in the city. I think we are going to do one of the state parks close by and have a 20 min drive to the city.

When we go to the beach sometimes we go to St George Island, and it is fairly remote, other times we go to campgrounds in Destin or Panama City.

We also use it to stay in when we take our kids to lacrosse tournaments etc.

You can normally find a campground that fits your needs.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We elected not to tow anything on our first extended trip. We ended up renting cars almost everywhere we went for the reasons you stated. I bought a toad (Equinox) and am setting it up to tow.

Renting was ok but we found that we were selecting campgrounds based on if they were within the pick-up radius for Enterprise. Not the best criteria.

Plus renting worked out to be the #2 expense of that trip behind CG fees. Toad setup and a nice tow bar will cost me less than the rental fees for that trip.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did 2 weeks in Utah and the only 2 meals we ate in was on our way back home trying to make time on the road. In Moab we could walk to the restaurants.

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uber could be a solution but may not be available everywhere you camp.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also carry a couple scooters. Or bicycles.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> going out to eat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS