|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Jacking single axle trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Yes.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

Two pages of "this is how you do it". Now you understand the reason the manufactures say lift by the frame.

It may not be the easiest, it may require a lot of spacer blocks but it is simple and it works.

It is true that many folks figure out an easier way to do it but also, many folks are totally befuddled and need road side service.

Fortunately I have a dual axel and use a Tire Aid but even then I have needed to use a 2x10 under it to keep it from sinking into soft sand.

Literally 2 pages of everyone actually agreeing on something, which may be a first for this forum, lol.
You’re the only dissenter thus far.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/21 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always jack at where suspension mounts to axle, or where the suspension mounts to the axle. I assume those points are designed to carry the weight.
Tire change; You carry something to build a ramp to level the camper for use right? And also while the jack is moving trailer up/down is when it most likely to slip, drop trailer, right? And most jacks, to operate you must be in, or close to where the trailer will fall if it does. And if the wheel and tire is mounted when it trailer drops, trailer, and more important, you are less likely to get hurt.
Given all that, IMHO, the best plan is to pull the flat up on leveling blocks to get center of axle as high as it sets when the tire is inflated. Break nuts loose, then jack it off the block. This means, 1)Don't need to jack as far, so less chance to slip. 2)and most important, when you move the ramp you have room to get the inflated tire in place, never need to "Up a little more" with no wheel in place.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/21 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbick wrote:

Is it ok to jack it up here on my single axle trailer?

[image]

IMHO, this is best place. If the top of jack has hole or depression center under the tie-bolt will reduce the chance to slip. If I was really afraid, I would use wood block.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/21 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

bobbick wrote:

Is it ok to jack it up here on my single axle trailer?

[image]

IMHO, this is best place. If the top of jack has hole or depression center under the tie-bolt will reduce the chance to slip. If I was really afraid, I would use wood block.

That is where I jack with my dual axles..

However, in the case of my TT which uses "drop" axles, I have only about 3" from the edge of the rim to my preferred jacking point in your pix.

With a flat tire, there is no way to fit any jack under that spot.

So the options are in the case of a flat tire is to have a second jack available to use in front of or behind the spring mounts on the trailer frame in order to get a jack under the axle mount.

Or, as someone else mentioned something like a a couple of short 2x10s stacked to pull the flat tire up on to. Once you have enough height to slip a jack under the jacking point you can remove the flat tire and then remove the blocking and put the new tire on..

I carry some 2x10s a few blocks of wood, a shorty low profile hydraulic 10 ton jack and a taller 4 ton hydraulic jack for this occasion..

The shorty jack is 6" tall but only extends to about 10" so it does take some blocking and planning to get it high enough to change a tire..

Looks like this..

[image]

There are other jacks that can be used that really do not need a lot of clearance..

The venerable scissors jack can fold down to only about 4" tall for storage and will typically extend to about 15"..

[image]

As with any time you jack things up, finding as flat and as level of hard ground as possible are top priorities..

bobbick

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all. I got my bearings greased and installed my new rims and tires.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Jacking single axle trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.