|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Another AGM conditioning question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holding 15 amps? no tapering? They have to be going somewhere. You feeling for hot cells on those batteries?

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LY,

I'm checking regularly for temps using infrared gun. 75.4 - 76.3 measuring each cell among the laser light at the center of the cap. (Well, not the cap, but the plug where caps would be on a cell. Sometimes the center cells are tad warmer then the outside cells of a battery, but within .2F of each other.

My source for charging is the Magnum MS2812, I'll read the various manuals again to see if I've missed a setting. But the only way I've found to set a voltage and have it go in at that specific voltage for a given period of time, is by Equalizing. I've set the Custom profile to 14.4V, which matches the Absorb setting to. The MS2812 when set to Equalizing, runs 4 hours. The ARC50 Remote, displays Equalizing and gives voltage 14.4V and Amps. When the Equalizing shuts off, or now I'm shutting it off myself when it's over 3 1/2 hours, and then I 'restart' the Equalizing. The Amp display ups to 26-29A, then over a 10-15 mins, works down to the teens. Usually to 15A, though this AM when I went out to stop and restart the Equalizing - it was 19A. (On shore power, and the Inverter in the Off position. So minor parasitic draws on the house bank.)

I have power until 10:00-11:30AM tomorrow (Friday), when I must move to a boon docking site, so I have about 28 more hours that I can keep doing the feed of 14.4V. But we then bounce back to a Shore Power site for one more day on Saturday. So I'll do the 14.4V feed again as long as I can on that move. We move Monday to a boon docking site for the balance of our stay at Lost Dutchman State Park which is Friday 3/16. And the 10 day forecast is Cloudy and Partly Cloudy for that period. So will use Generator and Solar to keep the batteries up.

I will double check my MidNite 150 Classic controller settings, but pretty sure I can change the Absorb time. 14.4V, to run longer. I'll set that for as long as it allows me.

The other thing I'm trying to find, is how to get into the Magnum ARC50 to see the Magnum's last record of Reaching Full Absorb. I saw that on one of the drill down's while scanning the manual PDF, but the 03x settings are a bit different because of the BMK Meter. So have not been able to find the last time that Magnum recorded a Full Absorb cycle. (Maybe it's not available with the BMK Meter module in the mix(?) - but still checking the various manuals.

As I finish this post, I just looked and the ARC50 is displaying Equalize 14.4V and fluctuating between 19-18A. Which since I've not drawn any power to speak of out of the battery bank, is probably not a good sign. As it had held 15A for several hours as I monitored it off and on during the day.

Best to you and all,
Smitty

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sticking 350 amp hours into a 150 amp hour battery is a pretty sure sign all is not right in River City.

This is *exactly* the reason why I was looking for a resettable upcount ampere hour meter.

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That much amperage still flowing makes me think that you have some unknown DC load which is showing up on your ammeter as charging current.

NO cables, other than a battery temperature sensor, should goto the battery (-), that does not come directly from the battery side of the shunt.

I'd think 15 amps which never taper would have even 800AH of batteries heating. How much hotter are they than ambient?

My one flooded battery had one cell that was getting 10 degrees hotter on the bottom of the cell than the top or the other 5 cells, and this had me remove it from my rig.

But now it is on my workshop floor and in June will have been there for 3 years. mostly shallowly cycled.
Not sure whether just shooting the battery lid with IR gun inbetween cell dividers, will show the whole story with an AGM.

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

But now it is on my workshop floor and in June will have been there for 3 years. mostly shallowly cycled.
Not sure whether just shooting the battery lid with IR gun inbetween cell dividers, will show the whole story with an AGM.

Right! A more localized diagnosis can be found by using hands and fingers on the case sides.

A handheld meter is also more focused than relying on a battery meter.

For those pushing big amps into batteries, I'd recommend placing a milk carton and board or even a cardboard box over the battery while charging thusly. If the battery has a short and blows its top, some containment is better than no containment.

Good luck to those with misbehaving batteries!

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The batteries need a full on CCA carbon pile load test. Battery voltage will dump to around 8-volts and stay there even with high amperage load. Alternative is to charge them and let them sit a month.

Reality is to use them and if they work good enough to satisfy without robbing charging from the good batteries - then why not? Either they'll work or they won't.

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bit more follow on info. But first, at 3:00PM today, again after the ongoing repeating of the Equalize/Condition four cycle at 14.4V, the Amp reading went up from 15 to 17 Amp. I thought yesterday just before noon, I saw the Amp number jumping/fluctuating quickly between 14.5 to 15 Amp - but perhaps it was wishful thinking[emoticon]! It never 'settled' below 15A at anytime that I saw.

On battery temps. The four batteries are locked down tight into a rectangle configuration, actually if you look at the smaller rectangles of each battery, their four rectangles, making one larger rectangle. The longer side of the rectangle is facing the battery compartment opening. So I have long side of two batteries facing me, and was shutting the infrared at the top in the middle cap like item on each cell, and then I also went down the front side of the battery on each cell of these two batteries. With todays low to mid 80's outside, the temperatures read 86.0F + or - .4F degrees between cells. The middle cell, as well as the two end cells that were next to the each other between the two batteries, were usually the .4F degree higher then the outside end cells. I do want to clarify the four batteries are not in direct contact with each other, a little under half inch spacing between each battery.

I could read the top of the back two batteries, and the same variation, but the + or - varied by .6F, I could also shoot the end of one of the back two batteries (The other is too close to the side of the compartment to get a shot.) and all up and down the end cell. it was within .1F of the reading I got on the top of that cell.

Ok, so now a wonder I have, and could not find in the Magnum manual. Is it possible the Equalize phase is set to never drop below 15A?

And right or wrong, I've stopped the feed of 14.4V when I saw for the second time, the Amps going up a bit, and never seeming to drop below 15A. I'm a layman for sure compared to many of you on this forum, but my thinking was I'm probably doing the batteries no good by doing all of this... If they've had the bulk of their magic juices consumed - concerned I've just been consuming more of the little that maybe left.

For grins, I turned on both the MidNite Classic 150 controller, and set the Magnum back to normal Charge mode. Within 15 mins, both were showing Full (Magnum) or Resting (Classic) And both indicate 100% SOC.

I did reset my Magnum recorded life of battery (Well, last 4 1/2 years with the Magnum in.) Max AH Out to zero. It was 4259.2, which is easier just rounded up to 4800 to some what account for the first 6 months. (Very little usage during that six months, as we were not retired then. The coach was plugged in and maintained by the previous 3 stage charger, set as close to the Lifeline parameters as possible. So that is probably more AH Out then actually occurred during that 6 months.

Help me with the math on this gang.

Lifeline says rated at 1000 DOD Life Cycles at 50% utilization.
50% of 800AH bank is 400AH per cycle
400 x 1000 - 400,000 AH's over the life expectancy of the battery in ideal circumstances
Since ideal circumstances are not a reality. Being conservative I'll use 300,000 AH's available
Rounding up as I did to 4800 AH Out, heck add another 1200 for extra cushion and say 6000 Max AH Out

6000 used is no where near 300,000. Using the Lifeline Tech call reviewed and supported OK of the Magnum Lifeline AGM1 setting - I remain convinced the battery bank had an easy life. (Or, like to think so.)

Is my thought process correct on the above?

I do have an email into Lifeline, and have not heard back from them yet.

Oh well, real test will be tomorrow night when the sun goes down, and generator hours are over here in the park. We'll see if the last few days of Multiple Conditioning and the last mostly steady 14.4V feeding.

It will be, what it will be[emoticon]!

Best to all,
Smitty

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are the individual 3-cell battery readings?

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

What are the individual 3-cell battery readings?

Magnum Status indicated Full Charge/MidNite indicated Resting. I turned back on the Equalizing at 14.4V. We only had an hour before we needed to disconnect to move to a non powered site. At the end of that hour Amp was indicated at 22, down from 32 where it started.

B1 = 67.3 / 67.3 / 67.5

B2 = 66.9 / 64.1 / 63.1

B3 = 64.1 / 63.9 / 63.4

B4 = 66.6 / 63.5 / 63.5

All measured on the where the cap would be, the plug.

If it matters, B1 had the Positive coming in from the Magnum. B4 had the Negative coming in.

We will have power again on Saturday for one night, then back to non powered sites. So I can do a Equalize/Conditioning again at the Lifeline recommended value of 15.5 77F, if it is recommended.

Thanks,
Smitty

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I done gone and messed-up my question above...pink cheeks...

What is the voltage across each 3 cell battery? If you could let them totally rest for 24 hours, before taking the readings, it would be even better...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Another AGM conditioning question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS