|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Switching From Hensley To SwayPro

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Roadtech

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone switched from a Hensley design hitch (Hensley Arrow or ProPride) to a Blue Ox SwayPro or other non-Hensley design hitch in order to simplify hitching and unhitching. I understand that the sway elimination may be compromised somewhat, but it would sure make life easier not to have to line up those angles to get the stinger to seat into or disengage from the hitch box, especially when you are dealing with uneven ground and severe angles when backing into tight spaces.

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never had much trouble hitching up with our Pro-Pride. Rather than buying a different hitch you might consider installing a back up camera. IMO a different hitch would be a step backward.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven’t but I did move to a Trekker by EazLift. So far I’m pretty happy with it and even more satisfied with the company. My next addition is a Gen Y.
Can’t wait, so stoked.

Roadtech

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mortimer Brewster wrote:

I never had much trouble hitching up with our Pro-Pride. Rather than buying a different hitch you might consider installing a back up camera. IMO a different hitch would be a step backward.

I have a B/U camera.

I love trailering except for hitching and unhitching. I want to make it as easy as possible. Dropping a trailer coupler on the ball is so much easier than every time having to line up the angles of the stinger with the hitch box in three different planes. I know all of the tips and tricks to do it, but it is still always a hassle.

The reports I have read on the sway prevention and weight distribution of the BO SwayPro is very good.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sway control will not be anything near the Hensley! If I were you, I would learn how to hitch up using a mirror on the back of your tow vehicle or a backup camera and keep the Hensley. You have the best hitch on the market and would probably be sorry once you gave up on it.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2016 Ram Laramie 2500, 6.7L CTD, 4x4, SB

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you keep your pivot head loose. Grease your Stinger? With a camera I had no issues.
Yes there is a learning curve to it, but the performance of the hitch makes it all worth while.
After towing with the Hensley I would not be satisfied with another hitch other than a PP.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the Hensley for one season and it was more trouble than it was worth.
I now have the EZ Lift 4 point hitch that came with a TT that I bought and it does a great job. I still have the Hensley in my garage that I will never use again. I think they are over priced
and over rated JMHO I should sell it but I will never get half of what someone paid for it. Maybe the next TT I sell I will dump it on them. It came with a TT that I bought several years ago

samsontdog">">

busterbrown73

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roadtech wrote:

Has anyone switched from a Hensley design hitch (Hensley Arrow or ProPride) to a Blue Ox SwayPro or other non-Hensley design hitch in order to simplify hitching and unhitching. I understand that the sway elimination may be compromised somewhat, but it would sure make life easier not to have to line up those angles to get the stinger to seat into or disengage from the hitch box, especially when you are dealing with uneven ground and severe angles when backing into tight spaces.

When I bought my 35 foot Keystone TT 2 years ago, I purchased a mid-grade Blue Ox Sway Pro. We used it for about 5 trips in the first 2 months of summer. Most camping trips were short and under 150 miles each way. The last time I used it was on a trip back to the Detroit area from western Michigan. We hit 30 mph cross winds on some of the prairies off the interstate. A white knuckle, "brown my shorts" trip to say the least. I researched and found Hensley (coincidently located just 20 miles north of my home).

It was a huge investment but worth every penny. It took several trips to get the approach angles correct. Adding a little grease to the 3" hitch box receiver opening helped too.

Now, I can hitch up and go in just about 2 minutes. The hitch already saved my family several times, including on a trip down in Florida on the turnpike when I attempted to avoid a run-a-way carcass of a big rig tire. The Hensley saved the trailer from a catastrophic event as it kept it inline with my tow vehicle at 65 mph on the shoulder of the road. Again, worth every cent.

Now that I think about it, I still have to unload my Blue Ox. It's still sitting in my basement.

And as previously stated, you own the best sway "elimination" equipment for a travel trailer. Anything else will provide less control and comfort.

* This post was edited 02/13/18 12:30am by busterbrown73 *

Roadtech

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

busterbrown73 wrote:

When I bought my 35 foot Keystone TT 2 years ago, I purchased a mid-grade Blue Ox Sway Pro. We used it for about 5 trips in the first 2 months of summer. Most camping trips were short and under 150 miles each way. The last time I used it was on a trip back to the Detroit area from western Michigan. We hit 30 mph cross winds on some of the prairies off the interstate. A white knuckle, "brown my shorts" trip to say the least. I researched and found Hensley (coincidently located just 20 miles north of my home).

It was a huge investment but worth every penny. It took several trips to get the approach angles correct. Adding a little grease to the 3" hitch box receiver opening helped too.

Now, I can hitch up and go in just about 2 minutes. The hitch already saved my family several times, including on a trip down in Florida on the turnpike when I attempted to avoid a run-a-way carcass of a big rig tire. The Hensley saved the trailer from a catastrophic event as it kept it inline with my tow vehicle at 65 mph on the shoulder of the road. Again, worth every cent.
And as previously stated, you own the best sway "elimination" equipment for a travel trailer. Anything else will provide less control and comfort.

What tow vehicle are you using to tow your 35 foot trailer?

Roadtech

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Do you keep your pivot head loose."
Yes, struts loose when hitching

"Grease your Stinger?"
Yes

"With a camera I had no issues."
I have a camera

"Yes there is a learning curve to it"
I've had it 4 years, but I might be a slow learner!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Switching From Hensley To SwayPro
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS