|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Propane odor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting everything ready for a early spring trip and tried the stove the other day. No propane. I was pretty sure I filled the tank after the last trip.
Filled it and now I am smelling gas. This coach has buttons to turn the valves on and off at the tank. I cannot get to the tank! It is mounted in front of the basement just under the cockpit area (I think)Isn't there some national rule about plumbing gas with iron pipe or is that just residental stick housing?
Trying to figure how to get under the coach to see exactly what is causing the leak and how I will be able to manuever tools under there.
Any help? (coach is a 2008 Damon Essence on a Freightliner chassis.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To fill the tank the attendant will open the over-pressure valve to release pressure as new gas is pumped in. Once the tank is full the over-pressure valve is closed. If the attendant didn't close the valve completely or it's bad you will smell propane.

Also check all connections with soapy water solution to search for leaks.

If there are rubber supply lines to and from the regulator, check them for cracks and leaks with the solution.

Have a fire extinguisher close at hand just in case.

2oldman

Palm Springs

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the oven pilot on?

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the rig into a commercial propane dealer to have the tank filled and ask them to check out the propane smell. It won't' cost much and maybe nothing since their filling your tank. I have yet to be charged anything for the minor leaks they have fixed.

Kevin

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re: Pilot light. No oven, convection oven. Eyes light with sparker

Will check the valve you mention this PM. Thanks for the idea.

Got to find a commercial dealer for the propane. I deal with a farm supply store just up the road

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/18 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bear II wrote:

To fill the tank the attendant will open the over-pressure valve .....

the over pressure valve is held closed by a spring the pump jockey can not open it.

What he opens is called the visual overfill indicator valve.

I see a lot of mis-information about this valve in the forums.

The purpose of the valve. It is located at the 80% full point, if the valve is venting GAS (Propane not air) then the tank can hold more liquid propanem when the valve starts venting liquid propane that turns to vapor the instant it contacts open causing a white cloud to form. That means "Tank full" shut off pump close all valves and disconnect in accordance with standard procedure.

It is not an over pressure valve
It is not "To let the air out" for there is no air after the tank is properly purged at initial fill.

It spits liquid propane with the tank is full. It is a back up to the over fill protection device inside the tank,. and it worjks as designed,.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the original poster. By all means DO check for leaks as noted above by others.

Now: I have had it happen (ONCE) much like you. I smelled propane in the area of the tank fill.

In my last post I complained about mis-information about a valve.. Well what happned is the tech was a bit slow closing it and the area around it got contaminated with odorant (propane is oderless they add odor to it for your safety) Eventually it evaporated and vanished and there was never any leak.

Another POSSIBLE causem I have not seen this on Motor homes but I have on portable tanks.. On portables there really is an Over pressure Relief valve

A tank filled on a cool morning to 80%.. Well by the time it sat in the hot afternoon sun for a few hours. that valve was venting propane.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/18 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"A tank filled on a cool morning to 80%.. Well by the time it sat in the hot afternoon sun for a few hours. that valve was venting propane. "

You may have a point there. It was cold as a lawyere's heart the morning I had it filled and the last few days have been warmer by several degrees. Checked it a half hour or so ago and no strong odor, and it is cooler now. I did smell a very slight odor but then the air is stirring a bit this PM, especially in the RV shed that acts like a tunnel running west/east

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/18 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the tank valve port where the hose screws in has a rubber o ring that gets old and flat then leaks i have had to replace them before.

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/18 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

It was cold as a lawyere's heart

Oh I like that line.

But still run the leak test. A QUICK test for most of the system is with all gas appliances OFF turn off the tank valve for an hour or two then SLOWLY open it, if you hear gas flowing (You will hear it when the valve is just barely open) you MAY have a leak... Downline. IF there is no movement (no sound) then any leak is likely the tank.. It sometimes happens the overfill indicator valve is not fully tightened (Finger tight is good enough).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Propane odor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS