|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck stop

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jim&Sharon

Arnold MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have overnighted in a few. I didn't like it.
Both truck stops, and Pilot stations.
If you open a slide for comfort to move around at night ( bathroom ), you are constantly worried that that the next truck to pull in next to you is going to hit it.
i don't know what is worse,the trucks coming and going all night,along with with the changing noise level, or the constant roar of a big diesel engine next to you.

I would rather pay $40 for a quiet campsite, and wake up rested..

2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

cmcdar

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are all sorts of places that allow overnight parking for RVs.

Cracker Barrel
Cabelas
Walmart

to name a few.

I have stayed at a truck stop but found it way too noisy. I travel to Florida from New York in the WINTER so there are no $40. night campgrounds OPEN.

We overnight in Walmart parking lots on our way to and from.

Please note - if you use facilities like these make sure you ask and park where they allow RVs to park.

HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

drwwicks

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a number of free over night stays available. An app allstays is one source. I generally don't like the truck stops because of the tight conditions and noise. I have stayed in a number of rest areas with no problem. Seems those in the souther tier of states SE especially, are more receptive. North east and west coast can be hostile to that. Walmart is a good place BUT check ahead and as stated, park where they ask. Don't camp out with grills, lawn chairs, etc. When you leave clean up as though no one was there. I will put slides out since some might be needed to access parts of the vehicle. If at a Walmart, go shopping. A nice rotisserie chicken saves cooking anyway.

Don't do as I saw in Meridian MS last summer. 3 Rv's, 2 motorhomes and a 5th wheel, circled the wagons, set out all their gear, took up a huge portion of the parking lot and made a bad statement about RVers. Be courteous and make a small statement. The camping opportunity you save might be yours the next time through.

2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL

NorthernNeck,VA

Montross, Va.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We park stay over in Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Cabelas. Just Park on the side and you will be fine. I usually stop an hour or two before and start the hot water heater. Then when we stop I have a beverage, eat dinner and then we have plenty of hot water for showers.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy & Kathy
Northern Neck, VA.
2013 Landmark San Antonio
2016 F350
2005 Ford F350, DRW, Diesel (SOLD)
2005 King of the Road "Royal Villa" 34BW (SOLD)

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try and stay away from overnighting in truck stops.. When I was driving, if I needed a few moments of shut eye, I know how I fealt when pulling into a full lot..

AND now that the new Electronic Log Devices are live, it is harder for the drivers to “carry 2 logs” like we used to do back in the day. The Hours Of Service Rules are also making it tougher on drivers... Take notice to the truck stops on the major interstates now, they are almost at, or at capacity now..

NOT to mention the cost of goods will slowly increase.. we have received notices from ALL our vendors at our shop stating that because of the issues with carriers, all freight quotes are being increased.

Let the professionals get a break.. I use campgrounds... or a Cracker Barrel, or a walmart....

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2016 Redwood 38RL Black~Silver

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flying J's have separate RV parking areas. We use them occasionally. No problem

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AFAIK, Bass Pro Shops will also allow O/N stays. As a courtesy, if the place is open, double-check with the on-duty manager before hand. I know that our city has a "no overnight" ordinance, so it's a cr@p shoot. I've heard people who have said that, if the cops hassled them, they just ask if they'd rather have them stop for a few hours in this parking lot, along a street or driving around dog-tired and run the risk of an accident. Others have said, "we have a breakdown and need supplies", when parked at a WM. [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

Trackrig wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Beware, many truckers don't like RV'rs and will mess with us.

I've never had a problem.

Bill

X1, Never had any issues with truckers in 20 yrs. I have found truckers ready to answer my questions and help when talking with them on the CB radio as far as accidents, road conditions and "bear Locations"

I've been RVing for more than 30 years.
I parked in one truck stop just to have breakfast and one of them went out of his way to clip my TT with his front wheel. We were parked far away from everyone so it was obvious the person went way out of his/her way to get us.
I've also had them pull over onto us (Canadian trucker) and cut us off needlessly on many occasions.
Finally, I used to listen to them on the CB and it was clear they hated RV's in general.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

dtappy3353

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our travels through Nevada, stopped at a rest area for the night. We parked towards the end of the lot out of the way of the truckers. Unbeknown to us, there was a bad snow storm during the night. We awoke to trucks that had surrounded us which protected us from the blowing elements. I thank truckers regularly. Their job is NOT easy.

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

I try and stay away from overnighting in truck stops.. When I was driving, if I needed a few moments of shut eye, I know how I fealt when pulling into a full lot..

AND now that the new Electronic Log Devices are live, it is harder for the drivers to “carry 2 logs” like we used to do back in the day. The Hours Of Service Rules are also making it tougher on drivers... Take notice to the truck stops on the major interstates now, they are almost at, or at capacity now..

NOT to mention the cost of goods will slowly increase.. we have received notices from ALL our vendors at our shop stating that because of the issues with carriers, all freight quotes are being increased.

Let the professionals get a break.. I use campgrounds... or a Cracker Barrel, or a walmart....

Professionals? Give me a break. There are no longer professional truckers, just another idiot on the road with an 80,000 lb weapon. Gone are the days of a professional trucker.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck stop
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS