|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck stop

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dtappy3353 wrote:

On our travels through Nevada, stopped at a rest area for the night. We parked towards the end of the lot out of the way of the truckers. Unbeknown to us, there was a bad snow storm during the night. We awoke to trucks that had surrounded us which protected us from the blowing elements. I thank truckers regularly. Their job is NOT easy.

Just like RVers, there's gooduns and there's a-holes...

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

wrvond

West Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I deliver TT's and 5ers to dealers I have to go off duty for 10 hours after driving for eleven, too. However, I make it a policy to avoid truck stops. I've seen campers that were side swiped or bumped by tractor trailer rigs in those settings. Many drivers don't even know they hit anything and many wouldn't stop even if they did know it - leaving the RV transporter holding the bag for damage repairs.
When I have to stop I go to WalMart first. Like others have said, it's a good opportunity to get some dinner and such.

2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Springdale Summerland Mini 1790 RL
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L dually in Ruby Red

packnrat

soon to be the state of Jefferson U S A

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/18 12:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in 35 years of driving, never have i know any driver say or do bad to a rv.
hot shots ( 1 ton trucks with a trailer) yes. many drivers belived they were taking work away from them. back in the day they were exempt from a lot of the regs.
just please let the rigs have first choice to any truck park area. they must stop by law. you can pick and choose where you can park, truck drivers cannot.

there are plenty of places for a rv to park away from the commercial trucks. and quiter also. not as busy etc.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/18 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just leave the truck stops to the trucks. Rv's have a multitude of places to park trucks have truck stops. There is a reason they have RV parks & truck stops.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/18 03:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packnrat wrote:

hot shots ( 1 ton trucks with a trailer) yes. many drivers belived they were taking work away from them. back in the day they were exempt from a lot of the regs.
just please let the rigs have first choice to any truck park area. they must stop by law. you can pick and choose where you can park, truck drivers cannot.

there are plenty of places for a rv to park away from the commercial trucks. and quiter also. not as busy etc.

Why should they get first choice? First come first serve.

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/18 03:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been cross country and stayed at Flying J's and Loves as well. Not all but most of the time the noise level is too high for a good night's sleep. With that being said we had rather pay for a cg with full hook ups and QUIET environment. Personally I would never stay at a bona fide truck stop due to the noise and traffic in and out unless it was an absolute necessity. Those guys are driving for a living and I respect that. Me----- I am driving for fun.
JMHO

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RandACampin wrote:

That's exactly the problem now days, me first, screw the rest. Those trucks deliver almost everything you own & eat, only thing not delivered by trucks are your kids Think about it. What do you have that has not been on a truck multi times. Why do they get first place? Because it is a TRUCK stop not an RV park.

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 03:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

RandACampin wrote:

That's exactly the problem now days, me first, screw the rest. Those trucks deliver almost everything you own & eat, only thing not delivered by trucks are your kids Think about it. What do you have that has not been on a truck multi times. Why do they get first place? Because it is a TRUCK stop not an RV park.

1. They aren't truck stops anymore...they are travel centers meant for all travelers.

2. STOP IT with the truckers have it so hard an yet they deliver everything BS. It's that attitude that is the problem and creates the rift. They chose that job.

3. I stand by my statement unless the travel center has a policy or reserved spaces then I am just as entitled to a space as anyone else.

4. Truckers are not what they once were.

* This post was edited 03/06/18 06:07pm by an administrator/moderator *

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

RandACampin wrote:

X2 on that. You're in their world.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RandACampin wrote:

packnrat wrote:

Big Trucks cannot just pull off the road into a campground for rest.. WE CAN.. The big trucks are under stricter guidelines now and NEED ( BY LAW ) a certain number of time off, not driving per run.

The TRUCK STOPS should be for trucks first.. If they had other options, I am sure they would be thrilled..

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2016 Redwood 38RL Black~Silver

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck stop
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS