|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Going Over The Grape Vine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
derh20

Vancouver-Not BC, WA-Not DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be traveling from AZ to WA and have never attempted the Grape Vine. We have a 2011, 30' B+ with the Ford V10, towing a 3K lb car. For years we have been by-passing the Grape Vine, but that adds miles and time. I have looked at the other comments but are looking for more thoughts.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be fine. I have done it numerous times towing a small SUV behind a Class A with the Ford V10.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good practice for when you get to real mountains like the Rockies.
Use your gears and watch the gauges.

diazr2

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grape Vine is no problem at all good road only problem is lots and lots of traffic. No need to watch out for the hill.. You need to watch out for the truck behind you and the truck in front of you and the truck on the side of you and well you get the idea.. The hill? No problem. :-)

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay in the right lane and keep the speed down to conserve fuel and not risk overheating. It is a long pull so use common sense, gear down and spare the brakes on the descent.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going north there is only one almost steep section early on and then a few rolling hills. 55 max and right two lane restriction when towing in CA. Just hang with the truckers.

The decent has a truck speed limit of 45 or is it 35? Does not apply to you however you will be on your brakes. Anyway just go slow on this section. Coast up to maybe 55/60 and then brake moderately firm down to maybe 40 and let it coast back up again. Repeat until you are down. Pull the lever to hold a lower gear and keep your rpm 3000 to 4500 for engine braking. Some gear should allow your speed and rpm to stay close to these ranges.

Don't ride the brakes to maintain a steady speed.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The grape vine has a truck bypass so you should be ok, do not attempt to go up doing 75 mph, gear down you might go on 2 gear and do not place the transmission in drive and go, a transmission that keeps hunting up and down will over heat really fast, down **** at the start and maintain a steady climb, you might get down to 45mph, that is ok if you go slower turn the emergency blinkers on to indicate that you are a slow vehicle, when you crest keep the slow motion with a gear try not to use the brakes too much it is better to go slow in gear than to smoke the breaks.

navegator

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And, if it would make you more comfortable, disconnect and drive the toad up the grade separately.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/18 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never avoided the vine. Gear down as navigator suggests, and it is good practice for the Rockies as ppine says.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/18 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twice to three times a year I tow my 15,000lb 5th wheel over the Grapevine with no problem. Down hill and up hill I use first gear and keep the speed down to prevent over revving the engine.

Downhill- I use the stab and release brake technique. You decide on the speed you want to maintain. Allow the MH to climb 5-10MPH above that speed and then brake until your speed drops to 5-10MPH below the speed you decided. Get off the brakes and when your speed creeps up above your limit the use the brakes again. This will allow the brakes to cool in between brake applications.

You may be able to use a higher gear than first to maintain a safe down hill speed. I had to use first due to the weight of my trailer.

Uphill the goal is to not lug the engine. You want to find a gear that keeps your revs around the normal (or a little lower) tach reading when you are in high gear on flat and level raod.

The first time you hit the Grapevine will be a white knuckle drive but as you get towards the bottom and realize it's not that bad you'll relax.

For those that done't know the Grapevine is I-5 north of Los Angeles as it crosses the San Andreas Fault towards Bakersfield.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Going Over The Grape Vine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS