|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Better skylight lids for class c

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Dairyman John

West central Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/18 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Thor 22E has flimsy sky light/ vent covers. Last week on a 4200 mile trip we experienced a lot of crosswinds. That cased a lot of lifting and noise in the skylight/ vent covers. They were screwed down tight and I didn’t want to break them. Are there any covers available to replace these that are perhaps better quality? Thank you, John

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/18 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Putting vent covers like the MaxxAir on each vent will eliminate the problem,as a bonus you can leave them open in any weather and when driving.

For a Tougher and longer lasting vent lid replace them with the Polycarbonate type Like These

I forgot to add when replacing the the vent lids to also replace the the Vent seal this will also help in sealing the vent lid to the vent edge and make a better seal and do away with any leaking when closed.

* This post was edited 02/25/18 08:07am by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/18 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^What He Said^^^ on both points. You need to replace the failed "Lid" and use the upgraded polycarbonate ones as linked there in Amazon. Just please be sure to click on the "CAMCO Match Your Hinge" image on the Amazon page and order the correct one. You probably don't know the Brand of your Vent Assembly, but the correct Lid can be ID'd by the detail images of the Hinge Area.

I believe MaxxAir is the best of the Covers. These keep rain out so you can open the Lids in the rain, store the coach with ventilation, etc. There are other decent brands too, and CAMCO is one. For that, I suggest you choose Covers with some form of Easy Access feature. Last time I shopped, that was standard on some MaxxAir Covers but not on the basic ones. By Easy Access I mean you can swing the Cover clear of the Vent to clean, repair, etc. No big deal, but worth doing.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/18 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same RV and issue. When I take the winter cover off replacing these vent covers is one of my first projects. Thanks for posting and I appreciate these answers.
That sky light over the shower seems like it is made out of Suran wrap too. might just replace this and be done with it. We'll see.

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e
Just right for the two of us!

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are "standard" and "premium" shower domes too.

Mich F

Plantation, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/18 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My current RV has the worst hatch lids of any RV I've ever owned. Perhaps they're all bad these days. I always intended to install Maxx Air covers on my previous RVs, but never got around to it. On this RV they were a necessity. About 4 years ago I put Maxx Air covers over all 4 roof vents, so any cracked corners on the covers are no longer a possible leak issue.

[image]

[image]

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Dairyman John

West central Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Docsouce, after reading everyone’s post I climbed up to measure skylights on my Thor 22E. The middle and back skylights open with the hinge on the front and oriented as per instructions on the dome. However the front skylight I’d backwards so when the lid goes up the wind would want to rip it off. Is this normal or could it have been put in backwards? Wondering if yours was the same? Looks like a big job to fix. If wrong that should be a warranty problem......?

Mich F

Plantation, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/18 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dairyman John wrote:

Docsouce, after reading everyone’s post I climbed up to measure skylights on my Thor 22E. The middle and back skylights open with the hinge on the front and oriented as per instructions on the dome. However the front skylight I’d backwards so when the lid goes up the wind would want to rip it off. Is this normal or could it have been put in backwards? Wondering if yours was the same? Looks like a big job to fix. If wrong that should be a warranty problem......?

That sounds like it was put on backwards. It's not that big a job to turn it around. I'd suggest adding Maxx Airs or something similar, over your vents. They are very easy to install.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/18 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a MaxxAir 1200T fan on an our mh. Really liked it. Then we traded the mh for a new one, and I went to get a new 1200T and found that they were no longer available.
Anyone know where I can find one, even a good used one would make me happy.
I tried to post a picture, no go.

Dusty

Dairyman John

West central Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/18 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading about the Maxaires. Do they just go over top of the old ones? The dimensions seem funny.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Better skylight lids for class c
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS