|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LED Light Conversion Done

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

After trying a bunch of different ones from ebay and everywhere else I found these from amazon to be the best and have replaced all the interior lights with them. They are warm color and actually a little brighter than the 921's. And the first ones that were 'wifey approved' - Need I say more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDFM3B2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LOL! I had a heart attack when I saw the "$42.88" price. Then read down and realized that is for a pack of 10 bulbs.....

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the process. I have done over half the inside lights on this RV, hardly use outside house lights so may not replace, Replacing on a "BOB" basis when the fatory installed 13 year old lamnps expire.. LED's replace.

Main room florcesent are now all LED less than half the current and twice the light (I use 5 meter strips of LEDs for each pair of fluorescent tubes) Half bath Bedroom (One 5 watt florcesent left This is a "Flood" type light LED replacement in sock drawer awaiting BOB (Burned Out Bulb)

I"m not sure on the main bath,,, I did not use it for a while

A few lamps get very little use so they may be a while before I replace them.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did our full conversion to LEDs over four years ago and it has been one of our favorite mods to date. Talk about a dramatic drop in amphours consumed daily, no more do we have to watch how many lights we have on as we once did with the incandescents, our rig can be lit up like Vegas if we choose all while drawing just a few amps and running significantly cooler.

We prefer dry camping and boondocking whenever possible, with the conversion to LEDs our pair of 6 volt GC2 batteries more than handle our daily requirements rarely discharging anywhere near 50% SOC. Purchased almost all of them from Ebay, in warm light and without voltage regulators. None have failed and they emit so much more light than the incandescents they replaced.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same for me. LEDs are terrific for RVs!

I'm working on the stick house now. I replaced all the bulb fixtures 30 years ago for fluorescent tube lights so I can't just screw in LED bulbs. I'm slowly replacing the fluorescent fixtures with Cloudraker brand LED fixtures from Costco. They are well designed to make the installation much easier than the fluorescent ones and are brighter than a pair of 4 foot fluorescent tubes despite lower lumin rating - probably because all the lumin are aimed down while fluorescents waste at least a quarter of the light.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have mentioned I have replaced almost all the interior bulbs in the RV and the house with LEDs. Only a couple have failed, those due to mechanical problems that caused the connections to the LEDs to fail, the LEDs themselves did not fail.

I replaced the outside RV light with a rather dim bulb since we usually don't sit around outside at night, but it helps us find our way back when we go out at night without bothering our neighbors.

Oh yeah, I bought almost all the RV LEDs at eBay, most for the house at Costco.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Things have changed so much since I tried those stick on square boards and now it's hard to remember what I have used in my conversion. The 18" Thinlines and the 12" Thinline tubes and balasts were removed and I used 5, 15" strips in the 18" fixtures and I don't remember the size in the 12" but there are 5 strips in there too. I used aluminum backed strips from Ebay, they come 10 to a set and they are fantastic when glued to the fixture housing. I soldered mine in series with a switch to change from 2 to five strips depending how much light I wanted.

I bought 6 spot lights at "Q" last year and they have two problems that we see. The spot is ringed with yellow and for some reason all of them seem to flicker when the base warms up. The incandescent's are #1383 BA15s bulbs.

Our bedroom is like a dungeon to me, very little light, two small fixtures with two bulbs each. I could replace with corncobs but strips are more efficient in delivering light downward as nothing goes up and reflects down. I'll probably buy to Thinlines when I find them in a salvage yard and convert to the aluminum backed strips.

The only fixtures that will continue with incandescent's are the two makeup fixtures in the bath. I hate them but the DW says it's not worth the money to replace the fixtures.

Now to do the outside.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i picked up these strips to replace mine to leds[image]

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since some have mentioned LEDs for their home = Dollar Tree now sells LED replacements for 60w equivalent @ 800lm. I have purchased a few and they work great. The original LEDs I bought for the house were $10 each and that was only a few years ago.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

teetah

Moses Lake, WA, US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

working on doing this, but have hit a small snag. I've put new LED bulbs into the wall fixtures in the bedroom and when I hit the switch it pops the fuse to the lights... anyone else see this happen? Can't figure why since these LED's have lower power draw than the incandescents in the fixtures. LED's work everywhere but in those fixtures. I'm thinking I may have to just upgrade the entire fixture, eventually.

2002 Rexhall Vision
2014 Ford Focus = toad
Just runnin' footloose and fancy free

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you use the right bulbs? Some have one contact on the bottom and others have two. Of course it depends on the light bulb type.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LED Light Conversion Done
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS