RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: The difference between dry an loaded weight.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> The difference between dry an loaded weight.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/18 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my 25 ft. TT the literature said 5004 lbs. dry and 400 lbs. on the tongue.

Common sense said it would weigh more when loaded but how much more? So before a couple of our trips I took a trip to the CAT scales.

I was not interested in the sitting on the ground weights, I wanted to know, what was the total weight of the TT and how much as transferred to the tongue, after the WD hitch had done its job.

Well, in my case when loaded for the road, the TT weighs 6200 to 6400 lbs. depending on the trip length. There was 5650 lbs. on the TT axles and 750 lbs. transferred to the truck axles.

I must admit the total weight did not surprise me but almost double the tongue weight did. It also used up a lot of my TV max cargo capacity.

So the question is, how much weight and particularly tongue weight did your TT gain when loaded for the road?

I think the newcomers will be surprised.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a percentage of the total weight, your tongue weight is right where it should be. So you shouldn't be surprised. That battery or batteries and filled propane tanks alone account for over half that increase from empty, then consider whats in forward storage or in the bedroom, and you get there quickly.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the mistake many new owners or prospective new owners make, looking at the so-called "dry weight" and planning from there. Many dealers are notorious for proliferating this fictional weight.

"Of course you can tow that trailer. It's dry weight is exactly your rated towing capacity. Come on in and sign the papers, we'll get you all setup!".

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I weighed our new TT on the way home from the dealer and it was 190 lbs heavier than the factory brochure dry weight (after allowing for battery, propane tanks and some water in the FW tank). No idea why. The weight of all mods (including a few heavy items) came to 119 lbs. Fully loaded for a camping trip for two, all the usual cargo (BBQ, sewer stuff, snap-up brackets, bedding, tools, dishes, etc, etc.) came to only 555 lbs. Total weight on top of factory dry weight came to 674 lbs (not including the mysterious 190 lbs). That's way under the figures of 1,000 to 1,500 lbs some folks often say added weight comes to.

Our factory dry tongue weight went from 540 lbs to around 950 lbs, approaching double (would have to go find my notes for exact number). That's a huge jump. I had pre-purchased an 800 lb WDH package. Had to buy heavier spring bars to get it to work right. Was not happy. TW is just under 15%, which I don't mind and might be one of the things that's make the TT as well as it does (no sway, ever). Actual gross weight of the TT was close to the GVWR (again would have to look up notes for exact numbers). I initially adjusted the WDH at a scale and the figures are here somewhere showing weights on the truck and TT axles.

Factory dry weights are useless and for some brands & models, actual weights can be a lot more. Haven't weighed the trailer for 4 seasons and it might be interesting to run through a highway scale and see where we're at now since we have a bit more cargo and a few more mods. I wonder how many TT owners are running WDHs based on dry weight and are undersized like ours was? Everyone should take their TT to a scale to know where you are compared to dry weights and GVWR!

rbpru wrote:

When I bought my 25 ft. TT the literature said 5004 lbs. dry and 400 lbs. on the tongue.

Well, in my case when loaded for the road, the TT weighs 6200 to 6400 lbs. depending on the trip length.
I don't understand how you could have 1196-1396 lbs of cargo (6400 less 5004) in a 25 foot TT. What kind of stuff are you loading into it that can make it 1396 lbs? Is that with empty tanks and have you done any mods? What is the GVWR of the TT?

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

Well, in my case when loaded for the road, the TT weighs 6200 to 6400 lbs. depending on the trip length. There was 5650 lbs. on the TT axles and 750 lbs. transferred to the truck axles.

Properly sized and adjusted any weight distribution system won't transfer weight to just the TV's front steer axle but some will also transfer back to the trailer axle(s).

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/18 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting and much discussed topic. Thanks for starting it.

My 19' Funfinder had a brochure weight of 3040 and a tongue of 400. The brochure states that does not include optional acc, like awning, air con, BBQ and television set.

Yellow sticker says 3327. Actual first weight was 3650 with just a few things in the trailer.

Actual on the road for short trips is just over 4000 with 580 or so on the tongue.
Actual on the road for long trips is about 100 to 150 more and a TW of around 600.

GVWR for this trailer is 6000. This is the problem I have with folks making a blanket statement that new users should simply go by trailer GVWR as a starting point. It could be very far off the mark indeed.

I prefer to suggest start with dry weight, and add 1000 to maybe 1200 as a good approximation.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A tongue weight of 8% dry wasn't realistic to believe to begin with. Realistically, 12% is were your calculations should begin at.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's amazing how much stuff you load up and how much it really weighs. Most just think a few 100 lbs because they think they won't take much. Then after using it for few trips they start adding more stuff. Most newbies don't understand all the weight restrictions. Add in some questionable sales tactics and it's a recipe for failure.
All that adds to the frustration and disappointment after the sale.

John Bridge

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/18 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer manufacturers lie. [emoticon]

Semi-"retarred" in 2006. :-) 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

Bols2DawaLL

SW. Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

"Of course you can tow that trailer. It's dry weight is exactly your rated towing capacity. Come on in and sign the papers, we'll get you all setup!".

You'd make a great salesman [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> The difference between dry an loaded weight.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS