RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: The difference between dry an loaded weight.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> The difference between dry an loaded weight.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/18 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, there is a huge difference between going off of 'dry' and what I consider 'empty' weight. Dry weight doesn't consider late manufacturer and/or dealer adds and mods, fluids, etc... Depending on tank sizes dry weight can be bumped by 500+ pounds by batteries, water and propane alone. Other items can drive it even higher. Empty weight, in my mind, is what the trailer weighed when you got it home and had it loaded with propane and a 'typical' amount of fresh water (for your usage).

So, it is not at all surprising to me that you are running at 1,200-1,400 pounds above dry, but my guess is that 1/3 or more of that weight has nothing to do with your gear and a lot more to do with the real 'empty' weight of the trailer.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/18 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have long since given up on where the 1200 to 1400 lbs of TT weight came from. It is a 2010 Dutchmen Lite that I bought used and for all I know the dry weight figures never were correct.

What was deceptive was the 8% tongue weight from the factory and the 10% figure in the Ford towing guide.

So the point of my post was to advise the newcomer and not so newcomer to be careful when "guesstamating" tongue weight.

The easiest way was to have others comment on their discoveries. There is a lot of experience on this website.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper manufacturers need to only list the MAX trailer weight on the tag, if this was done there would be far less confusion.

I just figure my trailer weighs the max every time I leave home.

My 24ft TT has a dry weight of 5300ish and a max load of 7,500, and the tongue weight is 900lbs when loaded to go.

1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Takamine

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were in the process of transitioning from the pup to a TT, I was concerned about weight, so I weighed every piece of stuff that was in the pup which came to around 300 pounds. That added to the TT, along with bedding, food and a few luxuries, still only came to around 500 pounds of cargo. Add a full tank of fresh water, a battery and a couple of propane tanks and soon we were at 1000 pounds. It doesn't take long for it to add up to more than what you think.

2016 Springdale 2600TB
2012 Ford F-150

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you are adding 1200-1400 lb to the dry weight. I've heard estimates of around 1000-1200 lb. Much of that is batteries and propane, depending on your setup.

Is that with a full tank of fresh water?

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you are adding 1200-1400 lb to the dry weight. I've heard estimates of around 1000-1200 lb. Much of that is batteries and propane, depending on your setup.

Is that with a full tank of fresh water?

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dry weights are often without any optional equipment.
I added about 1500-1700# to the 4500# dry wt and doubled the TW to 950#-975# . My Jayco has an Acrtic package and Elite package which is a 12 option package .

My tw is sometimes more, depending if I carry a bikes ( 50# combined weight ) on the tongue or not (the tongue rack is there in place regardless)
I use 1000# bars but 1200's would also work.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/18 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

What was deceptive was the 8% tongue weight from the factory and the 10% figure in the Ford towing guide.

So the point of my post was to advise the newcomer and not so newcomer to be careful when "guesstamating" tongue weight.

The easiest way was to have others comment on their discoveries. There is a lot of experience on this website.

Dead on all around! As for the 10% - that is more common for utility trailers and boats, which is where the number comes from.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/18 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at 6900 empty, 8500 loaded, so about 1600 lbs in "stuff", but the TT is 32'. In fairness, I had the fresh tank half full, so that was a couple hundred pounds right there (25 gal x 8 lbs/gal = 200 lbs).

I have been saying for years that the "average" family adds about 1200 lbs in STUFF to an RV. If the trailer is smaller it's usually around a 1000 lbs, if a bigger bunk model with kids (and toys) can be upwards of 1500+ lbs.

Hard to believe that pots/pans, clothes, groceries, etc can add that much but it's true. We were at the RV show last week looking to see if anything smaller that we liked and surprised to see TTs listed with 800-900 total carrying capacity. Most will be overweight when they leave the driveway with RVers complaining about blowouts....

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From dry to ready to camp we gained a tad less than 600 pounds. Full water tank, twin batteries, fire wood, cloth's food. I would guess we have gained weight over the past many years. I would guess the tongue weight would rise accordingly, but mayby not.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> The difference between dry an loaded weight.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS