RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: The difference between dry an loaded weight.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> The difference between dry an loaded weight.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how many TT owners actually know what their TV max cargo is, or if they know the scale weight of their TT?

Unless you are greatly miss matched you would not know the difference between a well matched combo or an 500 lb. overload.

Oh sure you might think "Wow this is quite a load." and go blissfully on your way. If a few weekend trips to the State Park plus couple of weeks at your favorite campgrounds total less than 1000 miles a year, a person might never know or be concerned about weight.

Just like driving to work, sure a lot of things can happen when towing but for the vast majority they do not.

Boy I am really ready to do some RVing [emoticon] [emoticon] take care.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

jhelms89

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here is my weight.

as I said I weighed the blankets, sleeping bags, pans, toolbox, etc. and it looks like it was only 264 lbs. Last time we went the groceries weighed about 25 pounds

Zero Gravity Chair 17.6
Zero Gravity Chair 17.6
Trash Can Holder 1
Levelers 6.5
Plastic Bowla 1
Toilet Paper 2.5
30 amp extension 8.4
Full Sheets 2.5
Pie Iron 4
50 ' hose 7
4 Wheel Chocks 2.5
3 shelf linen grip 1.25
25' hose 3.5
Port-a-pac 0.75
30-15 amp adapter 1
Pressure Regualtor 0.5
Plastic cups 1.46
Plastic Serving Utensils 1.5
50' Extension cord 3.5
Rug stakes 0.5
15' Sewer hose 2
Rug 8
Sugar 2
Salt 1
Flour 2
Filters 2
Kids chairs 11
Fire Grill Grate 5.8
Fire Teepee 5.6
Plastic Table 21
all bedding 18
15" cast iron skillet 11.5
Sauce Pan 2
Cast Iron Dutch Oven 18.4
Tool Box 14
Coleman Latern 2.5
Camping stove 24
2 pie single pie irons 5.5
4 towles, 6 wash, 1 hand 5.5
silverware, knives, board 4.5
totes 9.5
cleaning supplies 2.5
Shovel 2

total 264.86

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An interesting list but it still does not tell you what your TT weights. I have no idea what we packed in our pantry but it was enough to make a corner of a shelf give way. [emoticon] Of course the fine old world craftsmanship did not help. [emoticon] [emoticon]

I will repeat once more, it make no difference what you think your TT weighs, how you think your axel weight is distributed, or what the information you have says it should be. The scales do not care.

If you weigh your rig and you were right, you get a "atta boy" and a hardy pat on the back. If you are wrong, well you were smart enough to find out.

For the new comer I think they can see that the loaded weight for the road is going to be about 1000 to 1500 lbs. over the dry weight. That was the intent of the post.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 01:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the great hypcrositities on this forum is how just about everyone raves about having a lot of storage space..... And then touts how little they pack.

All that storage space is not needed to pack air.
[emoticon]

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jhelms89 wrote:

here is my weight.

as I said I weighed the blankets, sleeping bags, pans, toolbox, etc. and it looks like it was only 264 lbs. Last time we went the groceries weighed about 25 pounds

Zero Gravity Chair 17.6
Zero Gravity Chair 17.6
Trash Can Holder 1
Levelers 6.5
Plastic Bowla 1
Toilet Paper 2.5
30 amp extension 8.4
Full Sheets 2.5
Pie Iron 4
50 ' hose 7
4 Wheel Chocks 2.5
3 shelf linen grip 1.25
25' hose 3.5
Port-a-pac 0.75
30-15 amp adapter 1
Pressure Regualtor 0.5
Plastic cups 1.46
50' Extension cord 3.5
Rug stakes 0.5
15' Sewer hose 2
Rug 8
Sugar 2
Salt 1
Flour 2
Filters 2
Kids chairs 11
Fire Grill Grate 5.8
Fire Teepee 5.6
Plastic Table 21
all bedding 18
Sauce Pan 2
Tool Box 14
Coleman Latern 2.5
Camping stove 24
totes 9.5
cleaning supplies 2.5
Shovel 2

total 264.86

Good effort. Question, where is the propane tanks, the battery, and do the kids not ride bikes? What about your games for rainy days? Do you have a TV the dealer installed, that needs weighed too. What about you clothes and toiletries? How about the spare tire carrier and spare tire. This stuff really adds up quick.

These are the little things that can add up real quick. Some TT’s have very low CCC so between your list and mine we would be over.

I ended up with 1,500 lbs over UVWR ready to camp.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

“Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

One of the great hypcrositities on this forum is how just about everyone raves about having a lot of storage space..... And then touts how little they pack.

All that storage space is not needed to pack air.
[emoticon]

ha ! True enough dog !

I will say for a little 19' trailer, this funfinder has a rather large pass thru in the front. I'm currently on the road again for my five month winter trip, and the compartment is only about 30% full. I will say it's nice to have the extra room because at times I can be a little less than neat when repacking and everything still fits.

I take probably more stuff than most. Fir instance I have my rotary electric buffer that I use to wax the trailer, small shop vac, etc, etc. Five months is a long time to be away without being able to do all my normal routines of maintenance, so a lot has to come along.

As I stated before I've only gained 100 pounds in the 5 years between weighings of this truck trailer combo. Honestly I could likely shed 50 pounds of simply non-used stuff if I tried.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a typical pass through under the front bed. The obvious problem is everything I store in there goes directly to the tongue weight.

Of course if the storage was under a bed in the rear, then the issue of not enough tongue weight comes up.

There are always trade offs.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

I have a typical pass through under the front bed. The obvious problem is everything I store in there goes directly to the tongue weight.

A GOOD thing with my current Coachmen as I could use more. [emoticon]

rbpru wrote:

Of course if the storage was under a bed in the rear, then the issue of not enough tongue weight comes up.

The exact issue I had with our previous K-Z Spree 240BH-LX, ergo the reason I moved the bumper mounted spare tire to the front pass through cargo compartment.

jhelms89

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

jhelms89 wrote:

here is my weight.

Zero Gravity Chair 17.6
Zero Gravity Chair 17.6
Trash Can Holder 1
Levelers 6.5
Plastic Bowla 1
Toilet Paper 2.5
30 amp extension 8.4
Full Sheets 2.5
Pie Iron 4
50 ' hose 7
4 Wheel Chocks 2.5
3 shelf linen grip 1.25
25' hose 3.5
Port-a-pac 0.75
30-15 amp adapter 1
Pressure Regualtor 0.5
Plastic cups 1.46
50' Extension cord 3.5
Rug stakes 0.5
15' Sewer hose 2
Rug 8
Sugar 2
Salt 1
Flour 2
Filters 2
Kids chairs 11
Fire Grill Grate 5.8
Fire Teepee 5.6
Plastic Table 21
all bedding 18
Sauce Pan 2
Tool Box 14
Coleman Latern 2.5
Camping stove 24
totes 9.5
cleaning supplies 2.5
Shovel 2

total 264.86

Good effort. Question, where is the propane tanks, the battery, and do the kids not ride bikes? What about your games for rainy days? Do you have a TV the dealer installed, that needs weighed too. What about you clothes and toiletries? How about the spare tire carrier and spare tire. This stuff really adds up quick.

These are the little things that can add up real quick. Some TT’s have very low CCC so between your list and mine we would be over.

I ended up with 1,500 lbs over UVWR ready to camp.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Spare tire is in the truck. Bikes are in the truck. No games for the kids but i suppose that's a good idea. I admit we didn't weigh clothes but we didn't take a lot. Honestly im one of the guys that camps for the weekend and doesn't usually shower or wear a bunch of different outfits. Many times we drive our van as well and pack some extra stuff in there if needed. The way i look at it is that im "camping" the only real reason I own a TT is that I cannot sleep when I hot and I need the a/c.

Downwindtracker2

BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easily the majority of campers like a little comfort, with that comes weight. The LOML loads the fridge like she was at home, and buys groceries like home as well. I have to use a cooler for the beer, in fact, that's more weight . I admit I pack tools, over the years they all have been used, that's why they are there. I've installed springs,a water heater and a water pump in camp sites and on the road. I like to leave home with the 60 gal fresh water tank full. We have good water, that's different than the maybe safe, BTW.

So the 1000# to 1500# are good numbers to add, both as trailer capacity and towing weight.

Adventure before dementia

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> The difference between dry an loaded weight.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS