RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Common question: Should I get a TT or MH? Selling after 6mo

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Common question: Should I get a TT or MH? Selling after 6mo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
nosebreaker

Boston

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/18 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read several different postings on choosing a MH over a TT, what would you do if you were in my situation?

My wife and I (no kids) plan to take a ~3mo trip around the USA/Canada. When we are done, we plan to sell the RV and any tow vehicle or truck.

I am familiar with TT, I took a trip around the USA (10,000mi+) back in 2010 using my F250 and a 19ft TT. I have never driven a MH but my wife would prefer one as it seems more "vacationy", I prefer a TT since it is familiar to me and I believe cheaper.

We can afford to purchase any type of vehicle or combination. We are thinking we would buy either:
A) 5yr old ~30ft TT and a 5yr old F150 or F250 truck (or similar)
B) 5-10yr old ~30ft Class C MH and a tow vehicle. I am a bit wary about purchasing a MH over 5yrs old. We may keep the truck or tow vehicle when we are finished, we do not currently have a towable vehicle.

Some questions:
1) How hard is it to sell a Class C motorhome? We wouldn't care as much about best price since it really just needs to be cheaper than renting and I sure hope it won't depreciate $15k+ in 6mo! I know I could sell a truck and TT in a reasonable amount of time, unsure about a MH though.
2) Is a tow vehicle really that bad to deal with? I understand you cannot back up with one?
3) We would bring a cat with us, which is currently terrified of car travel. We started the process to make it easier to travel but I was wondering if a MH would be easier than a TT since it could sit inside the MH and not have to go into the truck. Thoughts?
4) I read several people say that setup is quicker in a MH, but I don't remember it taking all that long to unhook and level a TT on my last trip. I also don't recall that hookups were more than a few minutes either.
5) How often do MH break down? Is it that hard to get them fixed? I had one minor breakdown on my prior trip (alternator died) and it was fairly easy to repair the truck.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 03:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VERY hard to sell any type of RV. Try to buy as cheap as possible but expect to take a loss when you sell it (get the price down where it should be and it will sell faster). Hey, you did have fun times using it, right? You expect something like that to come free? As retired old coots, my wife and I prefer a motorhome. You can stroll back to the bathroom without having to stop or go outside in weather that could be bad. A single vehicle is always easier to maneuver and park than a tow rig either at a campground or at a restaurant for lunch. It IS much easier to set up camp with a MH. Probably most parks you stop at have sites too short not to unhook when you stop for the night. Leveling in a Class A is a matter of just pushing a button. The MH is REALLY appreciated in inclement weather. We "graduated" to a Class A from a TT, then 2 Cs. In the used market, it seems you can get an A for little more than a C. Class As have that nice "IMax" view out the front that nothing else has. Travelling the country we have certainly enjoyed watching (and photographing) the landscape through it! We travel with a cat that isn't particularly happy riding in a car but apparently the larger size of the MH agrees with her. She'll curl up on the dash and travel for hours looking out at the world. Sacrificed a cabinet for a cat box holder by adding a cat door to the side. We've not had breakdown problems but have always looked rigs over with a fine tooth come when buying and keep up with the maintenance. We bought several used RVs from a private broker and were pleased with our purchases from him. Two years ago we bought our first new motorhome as we are now old enough we probably won't be needing another. Expect to take a real depreciation hit that way but we've come to use our RVs so much, we felt it was a worthwhile expense for us. Everyone has their own priorities. I'm sure you will enjoy which ever way you decide to go! I should add that if we are going to stay at one location for a few days to sightsee, we'll just rent a car. Enterprise will come to your campground and pick you up.

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TT

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, for a lot of driving, I would lean towards a motorhome / class C. Your "facilities" are available immediately if you need them. I would think the cat would be far more comfortable in a motorhome? He could "roam" a bit around inside it.

When we (my family) did our two trips to Disney World, driving down along the east coast, I could really see how a motorhome would have been nice to use.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, either way you go, you are going to have to purchase two vehicles.

A TT and an appropriate pickup that you could retain and continue to use once you finish this trip seems to make more sense.

Why not look at a fifth wheel since the wife is apparently wanting something a little more "upscale" than what the TT can give her. Take her to look at some nice gently used fifth wheels, get yourself a used 3/4ton truck. That should run you about $65-75K. When it's done, you can resell the fifth wheel and recoup much of that money and keep the truck. A gently used Class C will run you close to that, plus you then need to get something to pull behind it. You will have added several K miles to the MH, so you will not recoup most of your money on that, plus then you will also need to sell the towed vehicle.

Yes, it is convenient to be able to use the restroom when you are underway, but that doesn't negate the fact that it will cost several grand more money if you go that way.

We just pull over and hop back into the fifth wheel for a bathroom break. Whomever is driving needs a bit of a break, too.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with a motorhome is, you have to break camp every time you want to go sightseeing or even go to the corner store for a loaf of bread. Then when you get to the local attraction, grocery store whatever; you have to find a parking spot big enough for a motorhome. Try parking the MH at McDonald's for a quick lunch, not too easy some times.

With a TT, the tow vehicle is always available.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of mine bought a used mh ( A class ) to take all of his grandkids on a two month trip to see the sights out west. Before he left he spent several thousand dollars fixing things, new tires, etc. They did. It take a toad but did use Uber where available. When he got back he sold it for close to what he paid for it but was out the cost of the maintenance.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can afford to buy "anything" why not just rent for three months? Saves you a whole lot of hassle. I can't do a cost comparison (rental charge vs. loan payments or cash outlay, taxes, insurance, and possible loss upon sale) but someone else might be able to.

I've done the pop-up route, 5th wheel route and the Super C route. Pros and cons to all. Trucks break down, motor homes break down, TTs, 5ers and pop-ups can break-there's no way to know what will happen. Advantage of two motors (MH + toad) is you have two ways to move. Disadvantage is you have two motors to maintain and 2 times the chances of a break down. Make a chart of what is most important to you, assign point values, add it all up and then use that as a base to make your decision.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

The problem with a motorhome is, you have to break camp every time you want to go sightseeing or even go to the corner store for a loaf of bread.

The OP stated he was buying a toad.

Russ - if you already had something you could tow, I'd say motor home, keep the toad and sell the rig when you're done. If you have to but 2 vehicles anyway, then you might as well go the trailer route.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First. FORGET THE F-150, Do not even CONSIDER a F-150.. 250 depends on the trailer, 350 should handle most of what is out there. But DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER a 150 (Same for other makes IE do not consider Chevy 10-, 20 or 30 yes but not a 10).

Trailers do not mind sitting for extended periods. Worse case (so long as you maintain interior and exterior) you need to re-pack bearings (easy and not all that expensive) check brakes and possibly renew (likewise) Check wiring (Easy DIY project) and change tires.. (8 year rule applies moving or not, more so not)

Motor vehicles sitting for years on end tend to need a major overhaul when returned to service. Though I do admit mine sat for over 3 years.. but.. the reason it sat for 3 years was a blown engine so it was a TRAILER when parked.

The last consideration
Class A with towed. 8 MPG campsite to campsite 25-40 MPG campsite to grocery store/church/attraction
Class C with Towed MPG C-C I do not know. see above for C-store et-al
Trailer with big honking pickup 8 MPG C-C 16 C-rest..

Why I tow a car (25MPG kind Paid 2,000 for it in 2013, twice it is a 2001 Neon holds 12.5 gallons of motion lotion (Gas).
why 2000 twice 2000 for car 2000 for lub pump, base plate and the like to make it towable.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Common question: Should I get a TT or MH? Selling after 6mo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS