RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Common question: Should I get a TT or MH? Selling after 6mo

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Common question: Should I get a TT or MH? Selling after 6mo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For only 3 months. Rent a Class C. When done just return it. No hassle with registering, a RV sales tax to pay that will be gone. Up keep and deprecation loss. And time spent trying to sale it at a loss in a buyers market now.

Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

JnJnKatiebug

NW Arkansas River Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Triker33 wrote:

For only 3 months. Rent a Class C. When done just return it. No hassle with registering, a RV sales tax to pay that will be gone. Up keep and deprecation loss. And time spent trying to sale it at a loss in a buyers market now.

What he said.
Breakdown-not your problem.
Park and walk away when finished.
If something happens and you have to cut your trip short-return it and walk away.

2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

Isaac-1

SW Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off I am motorhome over travel trailer for such a trip, where it sounds like you will be spending a lot of time on the road.

The second point that I want to mention is that I have seen message threads posted by foreign visitors to the US doing much what you describe where they managed to work out deals with used motorhome dealers to buy back a motorhome at a pre-set price after 4-6 months, assuming it was still in good condition. This allowed them to avoid a rushed private re-sell in the limited time they had before leaving the country and was still cheaper than renting.

Also if you end up with a small class C it is certainly possible to travel without a TOAD. We have a 28 ft class A, and no TOAD, we have put over 7,000 miles on it since buying it in 2016 and have been able to get into see 90% of the places we would want to go without a TOAD. Though this does require a bit of planning, sometimes using taxis, shuttle buses, etc. Though at under 30 ft and with a 178 inch wheel base we can easily fit into 2 standard parking spaces end to end, or back in if in a location where we can over hang a curb.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with the rental option; that's about $15,000 dollars (plus taxes, probably plus mileage) from e.g. CruiseAmerica. With a little care, it should not be too hard to come out better off with buying and selling a used motorhome or trailer.

It sounds to me like you aren't going to be staying at any one place for too many nights most of the time, but rather moving on every day or every few days, and having a lot of time on the road. A motorhome is in my opinion much more convenient for that kind of travel. Lunch can be had just by pulling off in a parking lot somewhere and walking a few steps to the kitchen. Likewise, a glass of cold water from the fridge is right at hand. It's entirely possible you would not need a towed vehicle, too, as you could fairly easily do your shopping etc. en route. I took a ten week trip to Alaska and back last year without a towed vehicle, and only once or twice did I really feel like it would have been particularly beneficial...but it is worth observing that others have different experiences and opinions there.

I may be all wrong, but I rather suspect you might not want to give up the RV after this trip.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done MH and TT, both. Unless you are going to tow a car behind the MH for trips to the grocery store or sightseeing, I would vote TT. You are really going to want a vehicle to get around that is not the MH, itself.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to go a little off topic here, just to satisfy my own curiosity even though it may be a little personal to you, but, why only 6 months, is there NO interest in RV'ing/traveling beyond that point, I mean there can be many more trips, I don't believe you can see everything of interest in the US in 6 months especially when you add Canada to the mix.
Now back to the subject, I can only give you my personal opinion, as everyone else has, I prefer a Class C.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/18 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The advantage of most class A/C is having an on board generator with the touch of a button. This allows you to stop, eat, shower, and anything else just about anywhere.

The advantage of smaller sprinter class C/B+ is their limited length so you don't really need a toad, their ability to park almost anywhere an F350 can park, and better gas mileage than any other RV class.

For three months, I would go for a 24' or less class B+/C with no toad. If the smaller size gets to you, you can always stay in a hotel room for a night or two.

Cruise America sells their rental stock for pretty good prices with a 90 day warranty.

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

nosebreaker

Boston

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/18 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your responses, it sounds like most people prefer a MH. Since that is what my wife also wants us to get, I think that is what we will do. The largest hassle with a MH seems to be the towed vehicle, perhaps we don't really need it (mapping out our route will determine if we get one). Thanks everyone!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nosebreaker wrote:

Thanks everyone for your responses, it sounds like most people prefer a MH. Since that is what my wife also wants us to get, I think that is what we will do. The largest hassle with a MH seems to be the towed vehicle, perhaps we don't really need it (mapping out our route will determine if we get one). Thanks everyone!

For a one big trip dedicated camping rig, I'd lean towards a C with a little 4x4 toad (we like to explore, off road back country, etc).
The "rent for 3 months" crowd is the folks who fear the mechanical unknown. If that's you, then maybe renting is a good idea. I'm opposite end of the spectrum and would consider it a challenge to buy right and sell right and get out for little to no cost/depreciation. And if you do have some repairs, they would have to be significant to cost more than a huge rental Bill.
The chance of a newer F350 or a newer E350/450 coach having a major mechanical breakdown is statistically the same. They're both ford trucks, same drivetrains basically.
Buy right and get the setup you think would serve you best for the trip.

In your situation you don't want a big pickup after the deal, so Moho/toad is about the same venture as pickup/TT.
Kids will love the C more.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchase your RV keeping in mind that you just might love RVing after the 3 months around the U.S. and you'll want to do more.

We full-timed for 16 years, traveling constantly, and still didn't see the 'whole' U.S.! If you could see my paper atlas book with all the roads highlighted that we drove, you can hardly read any notation on the maps for all the highlighting. We don't do interstates. We travel the secondary roads to 'really' see the U.S. (& Canada, Yukon and up to Alaska).

Trust me.... you are not going to see the U.S. in 3 months! [emoticon]

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Common question: Should I get a TT or MH? Selling after 6mo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS