|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Whazoo's Boondock The Big Quiet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave & Lynn,

As always, thanks for dragging me along. The photos are stunning. The quiet out there must be so deafening you strain your ears waiting for a sound. Just awesome!

Thanks,

Bill

deserteagle56

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up in Pennsylvania and now, for the past 50 years, I've lived out here in the Nevada outback. My eastern friends often ask me why I choose to live in a place so isolated. From now on I will just give them the link to this post of Dave's. It will explain it much better than words ever could. A couple months ago I had to attend a funeral in upstate New York, that reminded me what hustle and bustle, and noise 24 hours a day, mean. I was very glad to get home.

As far as the sage grouse, after having observed them for so many years I have come to the conclusion that they are the dumbest bird alive. Must be a close relative to the dodo bird! No wonder they are about to be put on the endangered species list! They will stand on a road and be run over instead of getting out of the way. So far I have had two of them kill themselves by charging into the side of my dirt bike, and the government is paying good money to have people put flagging on fencing because the sage hens fly into the fence and kill themselves.

1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wait til tinnitus sets in - no quiet camping anywhere anymore! [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sunsets and "afterglows" are spectacular. You're a better man than I oh Gunga Din :-)

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy ol Amigos, if I were Dan Quayle I'd wonder if there was an "e" in amigoes. Ah, but Quaylecheck says no, ok.

I'm late to reply, my wife had a bunch of days off. No camping this time, but I do stay off the computer when she's home, preferring to spend as much time with her as possible.

Thanks gbopp.

Hi Mike, We haven't been to Craters Of The Moon yet but it's on the list. I imagine it's similar territory so I know we'll enjoy it. See ya Mike.

Ahoy Bryan, "splendiferous" looks like a great scrabble word, let's add it to the dictionary.
Sound Of Silence is one of my top faves too, one who's words actually have meaning. Have you seen the video of the group Disturbed doing it? Awesome video and the guy has a fantastic voice, too bad they're heavy metal band. Thank you for thanking me Bryan!

Hey there Mark! Well I am trying to work on the composition thing, thanks for noticing. However lol, when I get excited I forget to check my settings. Don't look too close at my sky shots. Something about handheld in low light with too long shutter. I've gotta start using that tripod.

Thank you Phyllis!

TCINTN, Just one word Ed, thanks!

Hello Rick, Yes life's lessons have told us to keep going. That may not work for us sometime though lol. Us guys hate turning around don't we?!

noxnnhoj & K Mac, Thank you both, I've always appreciated your replies!!

Well Prof, you've outdone yourself this time with your over-the-top kudos, thanks so much.

Hello Camer Jeff! Hey you came thru Boise without a peep? Gonna spank you sometime. I'll have to check out the Wild Reservoir, thanks for the tip Jeff.

Ahua Clarryhill! I think there's a tribe somewhere that greats good friends with that word, it means "great to see you again Friend, lets go to IHOP for breakfast." Well...at least we were both Popeye fans, remember the Sea Hag? So don't worry, you're not "off", well maybe a little. Catch you later on the trail!

Hi Ya Tuna Fisher, Thanks and I'll hope your upcoming trip is good. Spring is a great time to visit if you're not going into the mountains on backroads, they'll be many still closed to snow.

Cal, Yes those trees are a scourge. As with most invasive species there is no easy way to get rid of them.

Thank you Alex!

Hah Ranger Tim, it's true isn't it? And I like your term, Magnificent Desolation. I imagine a lot of people don't see it that way, thankfully.

Bill! I hope you're doing well these days and getting some time outdoors. But look, I didn't drag you along, you were right there in the back seat, with Duke on your lap surrounded by stuff with a smile on your face, hopefully. Thank you Bill. it's my pleasure to read your reply, take care.

Aha deserteagle56, I'm hoping you caught the cynasism in my statement about those birds. I had no idea they were that bird brained to fly into you on your bike but the land closures on their behalf remind me of another bird that put all my friends in Oregon out of logging business. Congratulations on your move 50 years ago, I'd love to do the same thing.

pnichols, I'll pass

Hi Yoly! While I may carry water for some, I'm certainly no better than you lol. Hey I blame Dr. Suess for the strong desire to go and see what may or may not be there. McEilligots Pool was a life lesson for me, you just never know what fun you'll catch. See ya Yoly, enjoy Georgia for me!

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave ... have you ever made it back to the Cosmic Ashtray a second time?

I think I remember seeing a picture of you sitting on top of your camper to reach branches that needed trimming on the way in.

* This post was edited 03/10/18 09:40am by pnichols *

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes we have gone back but the salt cedar has grown too tight to be able to drive a TC through them to cross the wash. Plus as always, BLM has closed the road to all but Autorized Vehicles. There was no garbage or even a fire pit anywhere down that road, making it now a six mile hike vs a short walk.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic report! I love a big sky, myself, and your photos are gorgeous.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang it, looks like I'm a little late to this party. The sky pics are stunning Dave!

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/18 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Naio, yes to big skies! Wish I could have bottled that one. I could pour a little more out now and then, it was stunning, thanks!

Hi Ya Ben! What, you late? Not here you're not. Don't look too close at the sky pics, I actually screwed up and almost cried. Thank God for digital sharpening software, it helped salvage a few.
See ya Ben!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Whazoo's Boondock The Big Quiet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.