RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Smoky Mountain NP

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LibertyMan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

Chimney tops trail is a must do, however I believe the top (and best) section is still closed since the fires. Not sure when it will open up.

Dan

End of December the trail was open all the way to the top where you start your accent to the actual chimney tops, then it was closed. However, there were some people going around the yellow tape. In my book, it is still a must do trail while in the SMNP.

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

linnemj

Eastern Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the best resource I have found for information on hiking trails:

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com

What is great is you can sort the trails many ways to find what is best for you.

Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

jayco304

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to Elkmont and walk around the campground, then go see the old cabins some of which are be preserved, then for an easy hike follow the trail from Elkmont along the river.

Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad . Maybe take one of their package trips with white water rafting at the Nantahala Outdoor Center.

The Cherohala Skyway is, in my opinion, more scenic than the Blueridge Parkway. On the Tennessee end, Bald River Falls is easily accessible by vehicle.

As mentioned by others, the scenic drive in Cades Cove is a must. The hike to Abrams Falls in that section of the Park might fit your walking requirements.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have gone down to the SMNP every year we have been married at least one time a year ( 31 ) and sometimes two times.

When our kid were that age we hiked stuff less than 3 miles RT, anything over and you loose the magic.

they always loved car touring though, there are some really nice places to drive too or almost too the good stuff.

stop at the Sugarlands visitors center to make sure the things on your list are open.

1. 10 miles up the BRP is Heintogga Ridge RD ---A must do as Elk are regularly seen on the road, and the picnic spot at the end is super awesome, take a lunch this day.

2. right off the turn around at the end of Heintogga rd is Balsm Mountain rd, a 22 mile one way old rail road bed that takes you back to Cherokee, very cool to be in the heart of the mountains in your car.

3. Cataloochee Valley---A must in the evening time as the Elk come out to graze on the fields and it is just flat out cool in that valley.

4. already mentioned Max Patch is a great place for 360* views, head on to Hot Springs and eat at the Smoky Mountain Diner, it on the Appalachain Trail.

5. Oconaluftee visitors center.

6. Cades Cove, make sure to go as early as you can because in the middle of the day it can be bumper to bumper.

7. Greenbrier Rd is a good place to get away from the people and play in the creek or drive down Ramsey prong.

8. Newfound Gap.

9. Abrams falls just before the visitors center/mill in Cades cove is a short hike to a nice fall.

your key word inside the park, I kept everything inside the park.

The Cherohala Skyway is a really nice road outside the park that maybe you can get to before you leave or on a rainy day.

Dar

* This post was edited 03/05/18 08:58am by 1stgenfarmboy *

1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the advice given will have you in the car for a good spell. So my question is where are you staying? Once I know that I'll give you a few pointers that will use your legs more than your butt.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 66,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He mentioned they are not long distance hikers, I gave my advice with this in mind, Even Chimney tops is a tough trail for non hikers.

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some really good trails off of Cades Cove road. Abrams Falls is a great hike as is Rich Mountain Loop Trail. Other good ones are Smokemont Loop, Cucumber Gap Loop, Andrews Bald (up near Clingman's Dome), and Alum Cave/Mount Le Conte Trail (at least up to Alum Cave). Lots more but these are some of the highlights.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Andrews Bald is a nice shorter trail, my 7yr old granddaughter went to the bald and back a couple years ago.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just announced on the news tonight is the road to Cades Cove will be repaved starting next week weather permitting. I have seen the loop around the cove bumper to bumper for all 11 mile of it depending on time of season.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS