RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Smoky Mountain NP

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kyteacher

Lagrange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

Some of the advice given will have you in the car for a good spell. So my question is where are you staying? Once I know that I'll give you a few pointers that will use your legs more than your butt.

We are staying in the KOA at Pigeon Forge. We like how much stuff they have for our kids to do while we are there.

We don't mind the drives and like the earlier poster said, we are probably good up to about 3 miles out and back. Last summer I got in trouble with pushing too hard at Yellowstone. I wanted to do Uncle Tom's Trail, but the lot next to it was closed, so we walked a mile to it, down and up, and a mile back. Oddly enough my lovely wife was not as impressed with the views as I was afterwards.

We like a good waterfall, love views, and animal sightings are a plus also. I teach science so a good rock formation here or there gets me going too. I sometimes like to shoot short video's on my phone to use back in class.

Thanks for all the advise. This has been really helpful.

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alum Cave trail will put you on a cool formation, "but" it is about 5 mile RT, if you could get mama up there 9 out of 10 times you can catch a glimps of the Peregrine Falcon that usually nests on the bluff.

What ever you do don't take the fun out of it, short hikes will make it a vacation for everybody.

My family are all moderate hikers, the last trip we all took together my kids were in there mid teens, I got us on a trail that was cool to me and the wife but a little to much for them, "16 miles RT" when one of them said it was too much like work we took a water break and turned around, No need for anyone to be unhappy on a vacation.

* This post was edited 03/06/18 07:26am by 1stgenfarmboy *

1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1stgenfarmboy wrote:

Alum Cave trail will put you on a cool formation, "but" it is about 5 mile RT, if you could get mama up there 9 out of 10 times you can catch a glimps of the Peregrine Falcon that usually nests on the bluff.

What ever you do don't take the fun out of it, short hikes will make it a vacation for everybody.

My family are all moderate hikers, the last trip we all took together my kids were in there mid teens, I got us on a trail that was cool to me and the wife but a little to much for them, "16 miles RT" when one of them said it was too much like work we took a water break and turned around, No need for anyone to be unhappy on a vacation.

Excellent point. Keep it fun and tuned to the hiking limits of the group.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another easy but good hike is the nature trail behind the Sugarlands visitor center. It is through the woods and we often see deer and other animals there, yet it is an easy hike. The trail extends under the bridge there to Cataract Falls, another short but nice hike.

If you make it to the North Carolina side you would probably enjoy walking around the Farm Museum at the Oconaluftee Vistor Center. That was good as are the buildings and mills near the store on Cades Cove loop. The log cabins, churches and cemeteries along Cades Cove Loop are really interesting.

The Mingus Mill which is near the Oconaluftee Visitor Center is also worth a stop.

The Chimani Great Smoky Mountains app is a great resource with a lot of information, trails and maps. I have it on my iPhone but I used to have it on my Android phone before I switched.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS