|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Light Trailer Towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt you need any of that either.
Give it a shot and see how it does. If you find the trailer is pushing you around in your lane, get the H/W.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

rfporzio

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all...I did check the label on the hitch. Exactly what you had said regarding WD.
My dealer said exactly what you all had stated but I wanted to confirm it with you all.
I am a minimalist and very rebellious when it comes to STUFF!! Not much going into this thing.
Anything with a little bit of heft will be in the bed forward of the rear wheels.
I guess we will do a test pull and see how it goes. I'm confident now based on your input that I should be fine. I will keep you all posted.

2012 Tacoma 4WD
2012 Camplite 5.7

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rfporzio wrote:

I'm confident now based on your input that I should be fine.

You will be ... until you aren't. [emoticon] It may feel "fine" but dropping 400 lbs of gross tongue weight on the far rear end of such a small truck will unload the front steer axle. The question is whether this bothers you ... regardless, a properly sized & adjusted WD system will eliminate this issue. Your choice. [emoticon]

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed 16'-17' trailers without WD or sway control for several hundred thousand miles, no problem. The big thing is to make sure at least 10% TT weight is on the hitch, because insufficient hitch weight is the main cause of sway. A 4x8 utility trailer can sway if improperly loaded... as I can attest, when I was young and foolish.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest issue is if you have "soft" rear springs on your TV, then the nose will come up giving you very light steering and a possibility of bottoming out at the hitch. The light steering can be dangerous in a cross wind. (AMHIK)

As long as the TV and trailer are staying pretty level, you are fine.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More than likely, it will pull OK without WD. You may or may not find the feeling you get from passing semis unsettling. WD will reduce or eliminate that. WD also helps when winds are gusty, or if your truck feels bouncy. Pull it and see how it goes. If you don't like it, get a WD hitch.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/18 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP's truck and new trailer may pull "just fine" without WD hitch.

But unless he tries it both ways, w/o WD hitch, then back to back with a WD hitch, he will never know the difference.

Which is why I posted the way I did earlier. I've towed two different trailers with this same truck, with and w/o WD hitch.

Honestly, I would have little hesitation pulling my travel trailer simply on the ball behind the Frontier. But I prefer the way it drives with the BlueOx in place.

Simply put, I don't mind the added few minutes it takes to hitch and unhitch.
That's my two cents on it.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

rfporzio wrote:

I'm confident now based on your input that I should be fine.

You will be ... until you aren't. [emoticon] It may feel "fine" but dropping 400 lbs of gross tongue weight on the far rear end of such a small truck will unload the front steer axle. The question is whether this bothers you ... regardless, a properly sized & adjusted WD system will eliminate this issue. Your choice. [emoticon]

DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew he would throw it...

Realistically look at your hitch, mine says if the tongue weight exceeds 350 pounds a WD hitch is required. That being said I would think that your right on the edge of one. If it were me I would load it up and see if it tows well or if yo really need a WD hitch.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly...R.I.P. Dixie/Hanna we miss you
1990 F350 S/C Dually
1990 S&S 11SC
06 Honda CR-V
11 Ford Ranger

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How far, how often, are the key factors. If you tow it 50 miles to your camping spot at a Yogi Bear campground them bring it home in the fall. That is different from several longer tows each summer.

At this point why guess? You are already going to give it a test drive, so drive to the CAT scales and weight the combo. Unhook the TT and weight the truck.

Then, you will know the true weight and load your truck sees when you are camping. My guess is, it is a lot more than you think. But then again, why guess?

Locally, the process take about twenty minutes and cost $12,00 to $14.00 depending on which truck stop I go to.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

campinia

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2012 Jayco 184Bh that weighed around 3500 pounds and I towed it with a 2011 Chevy Silverado. The first year I towed it with just a sway bar and it was fine and it felt safe, but, I got tired of the bouncing or porpoising. I put a WDH on the next year and it was a much better ride.

2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Light Trailer Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS