RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Coleman or Supco hard start kit?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Coleman or Supco hard start kit?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/18 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Coleman Mach 15K AC unit (#48254C869)on my 2018 Rockwood 2606ws. My Champion 3400 dual fuel will run the AC on econo-mode on propane just fine, but will stall when the AC cycles off then back on. I want to run it on econo if at all possible because it is quieter.

I purchased the Supco SPP6 for $10, but later noticed on the Supco website that it is not approved by OEM manufacturers like the SPP6E which is approved. Accordingly I am paranoid about the SPP6. I have also learned that Coleman has a hard start kit for my AC (#8333A9021) for $30. However, it "looks" much smaller than either of the Supco capacitors. I can find no review of the Coleman hard start kit.

Does anyone have an opinion on what I should do? Using the Coleman part would not seem to affect my warranty, but is it any good? Or, is this a case of you get what you pay for, i.e., $30 vs $10?

RSD559

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are just capacitors. Nothing else. Installed correctly, I don't think they can void your warranty. But, that's easy for me to say. It's not my warranty. For only about ten times the Coleman kit price, you can get a MicroAir Easy Start kit (Web Site). It really does a better job at controlling start-up timing and spreading the surge. But, it is pricey. I put one in my trailer. I'm very satisfied.

2017 Highland Ridge Ultra Lite UT2704bh.Just right ++
Ford F-150 Ecoboost V6. Very happy.
Honda Ruckus scooter - Great fun.
Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter - Greater fun.
Champion 3100 Inverter Generator - (huge grin)!

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO you're worrying about nothing. I've used the SPP6 on every A/C I've owned including my current Dometic Brisk II but I would now not bother and instead ante up for a Micro-Air Easy Start Soft Starter Kit which will significantly ease A/C compressor start up, regardless of whether the power source is line or genset. I only haven't bothered to date because we use our A/C so infrequently, otherwise the Easy Start would unquestionably be the better solution.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Your warranty will not be affected
2. NOBODY will notice the Supco add on kit if you have a warranty problem
3. OEM's can have RVP install the Hard Start Kit from RVP as original equipment if the OEM desires too. Some OEM's will do that on Towables, because they expect some of their customers will be using NON RV Gensets to run the roof AC. Here is how to tell if the RVP has a OEM hard start kit. You do not have the RVP Hard Start kit. Doug

2ND NUMBER AFTER THE LETTER IN MODEL NUMBER TELLS THE TALE

IF 5 O6 THEN NO HARD START KIT

IF 7 -8- OR 9 HAS HARD START KIT

Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/18 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in Florida and travel to New Mexico so AC is issue.

If the hard start capacitor relay does not disengage once the compressor starts, due to various possible problems, it can burn out the compressor windings. That is why the SPP6E has an extra safety disconnect feature, and I assume why it is 'approved' by OEM manufacturers, and why the SPP6 is not.

The suggested $300 solution seems to not be an easy install after reading the manual, and a real potential for me to screw things up.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

The suggested $300 solution seems to not be an easy install after reading the manual, and a real potential for me to screw things up.

As mentioned I've not yet installed an Easy Start myself but any reports that have been posted here on the forums suggest installation is a no-brainer ... any questions, just call Micro-Air for clarification. JMO, but since it sounds like you're going to be using A/C a lot there's no question the Easy Start would easily prove it's worth in no time at all.

DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/18 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2800 watt inverter generator wouldn’t start my 13.5 AC so I added an optional hard start kit from the factory 15 years ago. 2 years ago I bought a new 5th with the 15k AC and there was no way it would start it. I installed the Micro Air in approx 30 minutes. With the Micro Air easy start the 15k starts easier then the 13.5 ever did. It seems it takes no more to start then to run because I can run more with AC starting yet the generator works slightly harder then the 13.5 when running.

It really is nice to not have to shut things down to start the AC and have the genny kick off because I wasn’t paying enough attention as AC cycles on and off like I had to with the 13.5. Any appliance that can be on when AC is running can also be on when AC starts even if operating in econo mode. I have no clue how th Micro Air works but it sure does!

D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

RSD559

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/18 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

I'm in Florida and travel to New Mexico so AC is issue.

If the hard start capacitor relay does not disengage once the compressor starts, due to various possible problems, it can burn out the compressor windings. That is why the SPP6E has an extra safety disconnect feature, and I assume why it is 'approved' by OEM manufacturers, and why the SPP6 is not.

We must be talking about a different hard start kit. No relays, only two capacitors. All they do is store until there is a need. Buffers the blow. No moving parts.
I'm too big to get on my roof (6'4", 300+). My RV dealer installed it for $75. Way worth it for me. We sometimes camp where 30 amp is not available. I can start my A/C on a 20 amp circuit. Hopefully, a 15 amp as well.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/18 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

IMO you're worrying about nothing. I've used the SPP6 on every A/C I've owned including my current Dometic Brisk II but I would now not bother and instead ante up for a Micro-Air Easy Start Soft Starter Kit which will significantly ease A/C compressor start up, regardless of whether the power source is line or genset. I only haven't bothered to date because we use our A/C so infrequently, otherwise the Easy Sart would unquestionably be the better solution.

agree on the easy start, on my coleman mach III 13.5K BTU even with the supco setup and using paralleled honda 2000, it would NOT reliably start the AC if both were in eco mode.

microair easy start, 4500ft altitude, ONE honda 2000 in eco mode. AC comes on, honda ramps up nicely works fine. but after about 15 minutes the single honda 2000 was running over what the poor guy could put out at 6000FT density altitude and the micro air would kick it our for about 5 minutes before trying again.

Now have the honda 2000 going to our son and have a honda 2200 showing up this week. hopefully the extra 200 VA will get me over the hump at higher altitudes.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The hard start capacitor does nothing noticeable. Just ordered the soft start with code AIRSTREAM and got $40 off.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Coleman or Supco hard start kit?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS