|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bunkhouse 5th wheels...suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently have a 39' Bunkhouse with dual opposing rear slides that creates a great bunk room. However I am intrigued by the mid bunk units that allow for a rear living room area. Avoid models with the additional 1/2 bath. The 2nd black tank is more trouble than its worth unless you are full timing.
Also be sure the bunk room is large enough for the kids to do more than just sleep. Give them a place to call their own and hang out.
Lastly the kids are going to grow be sure the beds are big enough to accommodate them getting bigger. They won't be toddlers forever
As my kids have gotten older my bunkhouse days are winding down.
I look forward to buying a rig that won't be a bunkhouse....LOL

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at a older ('07-'09 era) Cedar Creek Silverback with rear quad bunks (2 on each side on slides if I recall right. 1st year had a "divider" in middle, following year CC did away w/ it. Want to say there was a door that closed off the BH area from rest of coach so kids could "keep it messy" w/o being seen from rest of coach.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/18 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 36' TT with the quad bunk in the back, the we upgraded to a front bunkhouse fifth wheel and now have a mid-bunk fifth wheel with a loft.

We camp host throughout the summer months and with so much time spent in the RV, we wanted a large living space that we could all fit in and sit together. The girls wanted seperate bedrooms and this gave them that. The quad bunk in the back did not allow them to sit in the room and work on stuff, they had to be laying in the beds or in the living room to sit up and read, play with stuff, etc.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Txfirerescue77

Tyler, tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I currently have a 39' Bunkhouse with dual opposing rear slides that creates a great bunk room. However I am intrigued by the mid bunk units that allow for a rear living room area. Avoid models with the additional 1/2 bath. The 2nd black tank is more trouble than its worth unless you are full timing.
Also be sure the bunk room is large enough for the kids to do more than just sleep. Give them a place to call their own and hang out.
Lastly the kids are going to grow be sure the beds are big enough to accommodate them getting bigger. They won't be toddlers forever

What makes the second tank such a pain?

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/18 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the Kz brand of trailers, I believe they have more bang for the buck, they have bunkhouse an as well toy haulers https://www.kz-rv.com/

Safe Travels

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Txfirerescue77 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

What makes the second tank such a pain?

Just the fact that you have to dump 2 tanks makes it a pain.
Instead of having 1 relatively full tank. You end up with 2 relatively empty tanks. Full tanks dump more efficiently than empty tanks.
You now have to clean and maintain 2 tanks vs.1.
I guess the upside is kids can have their own bathroom however sharing the bathroom with the kids ultimately results in less work for me. The 1/2 bath is more trouble than it's worth.
After 10 years of owning bunkhouse trailers I believe the space devoted to the 1/2 bath could be put to better use if you are a weekend camper.
I imagine I am in the minority with this 1/2 bath opinion. However whether you agree with me or not, be sure to consider the requirements of the 2nd black tank. I don't mind the 1/2 bath floorplan. It is the 2nd black tank that accompanies the floor plan that I have grown to despise.
For the record I removed my 1/2 bath toilet and created a great closet that can be accessed from the interior or the exterior.
I do not miss the 1/2 bathroom at all.

* This post was edited 03/04/18 07:11pm by Lantley *

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Copper Canyon model I listed has a closet with washer/dryer prep in place of the half bath.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keystone Hideout 308bhds - 9000# dry, 1/2 bath in the front bedroom, rear bunk room has a slide and can sleep 4 kids with the couch folded flat. It also has a super nice outdoor kitchen.

The Hideout is the entry level of Keystone but mine has been decent over the last 2+ years. The floor plan checked all the boxes so we went for it. I paid about 32K out the door for my 2016 model. You're going to have a tough time getting everything you list and staying under 30K is going new.

Txfirerescue77

Tyler, tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can definitely see where the half bath can be extra hassle. I’m used to only having to empty one so it’s never been that big of a deal. I haven’t really seen any of the mid bunk trailers that would seem to fit us, but then again I haven’t really thought about long term when the little ones get older. I want to find something that we can be comfortable long term in, I don’t like to swap every few years. Shoot, we made our 06 29’ TT with no slides last 12 years, to the point we were piled in like cord wood..lol.

Txfirerescue77

Tyler, tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

Keystone Hideout 308bhds - 9000# dry, 1/2 bath in the front bedroom, rear bunk room has a slide and can sleep 4 kids with the couch folded flat. It also has a super nice outdoor kitchen.

The Hideout is the entry level of Keystone but mine has been decent over the last 2+ years. The floor plan checked all the boxes so we went for it. I paid about 32K out the door for my 2016 model. You're going to have a tough time getting everything you list and staying under 30K is going new.

I’m not going new, it’s going to have to be used. There really no way around it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bunkhouse 5th wheels...suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS