|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> towing mileage of trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I suspect the Ram would have 3.73’s and the F450 would have 4.10’s, maybe even a higher ratio."

RAM DRW trucks come in 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10 with auto trans. ALL SRW RAM's come with 3.42's with auto trans.

Can't remember what's available with the 6 speed stick.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

forkedhorn wrote:

Thanks Scott, kind of figured that. Thinking about a 44 Santa Fe Mobile Suite or a 42RL Luxe and an f-450 instead of the ram.

Why do you think you need a 450? If you are stuck on Ford a 17 or newer 350 will do just fine!

I tow as much or more than your rig will weigh with my RAM 3500 at 33k combined or 35 if double towing my Motor Cycle trailer with two Cruisers.

Pretty hard to beat a straight 6 for mileage.

Perhaps he want's the F450 because of the wide track front axle for the improved turning radius. And towing these amount of loads the fuel economy between the two is a wash.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Tough"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

forkedhorn wrote:

Thanks Scott, kind of figured that. Thinking about a 44 Santa Fe Mobile Suite or a 42RL Luxe and an f-450 instead of the ram.

Why do you think you need a 450? If you are stuck on Ford a 17 or newer 350 will do just fine!

I tow as much or more than your rig will weigh with my RAM 3500 at 33k combined or 35 if double towing my Motor Cycle trailer with two Cruisers.

Perhaps he want's the F450 because of the wide track front axle for the improved turning radius. And towing these amount of loads the fuel economy between the two is a wash.

No way will a 350 and 450 get the same fuel economy. More weight equals worse mileage. Even with same gear ratio.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

forkedhorn wrote:

No way will a 350 and 450 get the same fuel economy. More weight equals worse mileage. Even with same gear ratio.

Yes fuel mileage is essentially the same.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

forkedhorn wrote:

According to published figures there’s only about 1,400 pounds difference between comparable F450’s and Ram 3500’s.

If you’re talking about a 35k pound combined unit I doubt you could calculate that mileage variation attributed to a 4% increase in weight.

Besides which, weight has very little to do fuel mileage in the overal scheme of things, my neighbours tractor trailer gets a consistent 1 mpg (loaded) better mileage than his motorhome does, I’ll bet the motorhome weighs a BUNCH less than his truck does.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stand by my statement, more weight equals less fuel economy.

I also stand by my statement that a 17/18 F350 will pull any DRV out there just fine like my 15 RAM will within axle and combined ratings. So why spend the extra $$$ on a 450??? OH yea for the tighter turning radius?

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I stand by my statement, more weight equals less fuel economy.

I also stand by my statement that a 17/18 F350 will pull any DRV out there just fine like my 15 RAM will within axle and combined ratings. So why spend the extra $$$ on a 450??? OH yea for the tighter turning radius?

I’m sorry Sir, but your statement is simply false.

I have an F350 and an F550, under similar loads at 50 mph, 80 kmh, my F550 gets better mileage. Both of them (combined weight) outweigh my Class A motorhome and get better mileage than it does.

More weight does NOT equal LESS mpg.

More EFFICIENCY equals less mpg.

2Macs

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 Chevy Dually Diesel w/ Allison transmission that I tow a 37 foot TT with. I generally get 10 to 11 mpg towing on relative flat roads. Worse in the hills. My diesel mechanic has recommended that I add an Air Dog 150 Lift Pump to significantly increase my mpg as a beginning fix. Cost will be around $900 installed. He also recommends adding a EFI Live Duramax Tuner at a later date. Cost for this will be in the same range. When all is complete, he says I should get around 20+ mpg while towing.

Has anybody else completed these upgrades? If you have, what results are you getting and would you recommend this upgrade?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2Macs wrote:

I have a 2007 Chevy Dually Diesel w/ Allison transmission that I tow a 37 foot TT with. I generally get 10 to 11 mpg towing on relative flat roads. Worse in the hills. My diesel mechanic has recommended that I add an Air Dog 150 Lift Pump to significantly increase my mpg as a beginning fix. Cost will be around $900 installed. He also recommends adding a EFI Live Duramax Tuner at a later date. Cost for this will be in the same range. When all is complete, he says I should get around 20+ mpg while towing.

Has anybody else completed these upgrades? If you have, what results are you getting and would you recommend this upgrade?

He is full of "Barbra Streisand" !!!!!!!!!!

Ask him to put it in writing with a money back grantee.

INCREDIBLE!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2macs. Without getting into specifics, your mechanic is 120% full of sh____!
Don’t ever return to him Except to punch him for trying to rip you off.
Lift pump, better filtration and tuning are real things that have benefits, just not what he says.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> towing mileage of trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS