|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Getting ready to buy a Winnebago Sunstar 29VE Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jim102

Cabot, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/18 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To all,

Well getting ready to get into a Class A, just me and the wife. What is everyone's thought on this unit? The size and price is about right for us and we like the layout.... Then comes what kind of tow car, has anyone tried the idea of renting a car where you set up for a week or so?

Thanks,
Jim

2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 02:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you selling the old set up, truck included? For a tow vehicle you may want to consider a small truck as a daily driver for yourself and to double as a toad, Little GMC Canyon for example. 4x manual I believe can tow 4 down.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travelled for years without a tow vehicle. Then got a dolly to take our car. Sold it after a while. Did not like how restrictive having a toad is. Harder to find a place to park along the way. Ended up not stopping at places we'd like to see as it would entail driving further to find a parking place, unhooking the toad, driving back, then back to the RV, rehooking. Most Cracker Barrel restaurants have RV parking but it is just double-length spots behind the restaurant that are too short for a RV and toad. I can park our bare Class A most anywhere but with a toad, you really have to hunt for spots. If we are staying somewhere, we rent a car. Much less hassle. I never worry about ending up some place where I have to turn around or back up. Might take me a bunch of forwards and backwards, but I CAN do it. Make that mistake with a toad in the rain and it gets unpleasant.

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have put 60K miles on a 33' Winny Vista in the last 3-4 years. We tow a 2014 CRV using a Ready Brake set-up and wireless LED lighting. I can't imagine having something as big as a Class A without a toad. IMHO, when it comes to toads, the smaller the better. We have been in tight cities, like Savannah, New Orleans, Charleston, etc.... Where we headed in to the cities in the morning, while the Fifth wheel owners in the campground walked past their dualies, and waited for the shuttle bus. Renting is an option while you get used to the whole motorhome experience, but, if you are like most MH owners, it won't be long until you are shopping for a toad. Enjoy your new rig, good luck.

GHOST1750

THE GOLDEN STATE My taxes help keep it that way!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With our first RV we did not tow and rented one time. When we visited relatives they usually loaned us a car. Otherwise it was a pain not having one. A year later we traded RV's and started towing. Wouldn't RV any other way.

Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The layout is the most important thing and if you both like it that is great.

If you decide to tow 4 down Remco will tell you what cars are towable and what is necessary to make them towable if they need modifications.

Remco Website

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our retirement trip we elected not to tow to keep things as simple as possible. Plus, neither of our cars at the time were towable 4 down. We spent $3000 in rental cars over 6 months and discovered;

1. We missed a lot of local attractions along the way
2. We were picking campgrounds that were within Enterprise's "We'll Pick You Up" radius. Not the best criteria.

I bought a used Equinox and had it set up for towing. Found a used Blue Ox towbar and RVi Brake on Craigs List. The enter tow setup was half the cost of rental cars on the trip. I'll never go back to renting.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ct78barnes

Bryan Ohio USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we got our first class A wife wanted me to get use to driving the coach so after first season over the winter we got our Trailblazer ready to tow. Bought tow bar and tow bar and when got coach out and drove it back to dealer to install the tow bar and wire thing up. Took video of the teck showing me how to hook up and set up break buddy up.I watched that tape a lot the first year . We got our new coach and after we got 500 miles on the clock Ford says to do if we are driving it the toad is always back there.The parking when traveling is no big deal most big box stores have places way out that you can park on the side and gas stops are truck stops Flying Jays if we can find them because they have rv only lanes.It takes some getting use to but to not have a toad is out of the question for us.

cwit

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had our mother home for 4 years now and have always had a toad. Won’t leave home without it. We own 2 cars and have them both set up to tow 4 down.

Jim102

Cabot, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/18 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advice... My main concern is the Class A which are now getting next week is a 29ft. Jayco Precept (gasser), is that going to be hard to get in a regular gas station with the TOAD?
Thanks, Jim

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Getting ready to buy a Winnebago Sunstar 29VE Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS