|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Egg Poaching And Energy Versus Ease Of Use

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last poacher I used was 120vac and it didn't take long before the eggs started sticking to the cups, even when heavily oiled.

I prefer electric because of 83F mornings. But the last poacher really draws down the AC ammeter. Borderline overload on the small inverter.

DC seems not to be an option

So that leaves stove top burner heating.

Being one foot is in the poorhouse and the other on a greased banana peel I sure could use some hints about getting a sensible egg poacher that avoids the almost immediate egg sticking problem.

Would appreciate hints

Rog & Nan

Michigan City, IN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to Pintrist. If you have a microwave and large straight side mug your in business several recipes for this method. Also, when on pintrist just search poached eggs there are a lot of ways to do them.

Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

brulaz

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boiling water is a waste of energy. Just fry the eggs on a small non-stick pan, tightly covered under very low heat. Use an induction heater and compatible fry pan.

Or if you insist upon poached eggs, boil a pot of water with a tablespoon of vinegar and carefully drop in the eggs when you have a medium boil. Keep it boiling and then use a slotted spoon to get them out. This actually works well for us. Again, induction heater and compatible pot if you don't want to use propane. EDIT: or maybe microwave as suggested above?

2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing is wrong with microwave, and takes only a minute. I bet there will be less heat released into your room than with simmering on stove.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Being one foot is in the poorhouse and the other on a greased banana peel”

Eat cereal......cheaper.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

campinginthewoods

Central ILL

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got silicone rings from Walmart and cook eggs in the skillet. All you do is spray the rings with pam and add the egg. They come out just like the eggs at McDonald's egg muffins. Doesn't take too long. Found them in the aisle where silverware etc is.

"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use a tin cup with the burner on very low, it boils surprisingly fast, very little heat transferred to the room.

It doesn’t get much cheaper than a tin cup either.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put about an in of water in a frying pan crack 5 eggs into the hot water then cover with a lid with heat on low. The lid helps cook the top of the eggs faster, and also used less energy and no electricity just propane.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boiling water with an egg cracked into it seems to allow most of the white to foam and get near impossible to recover. My Samlex does not like +400 watts. The microwave is a no-go.

The best answer in my case seems to be a stove top cooker with pockets that actually are easy release coating. I toast on an open burner with a fine stainless steel mesh.

Thanks for the suggestions!

EGGS BENEDICT

brulaz

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Boiling water with an egg cracked into it seems to allow most of the white to foam and get near impossible to recover.

Not if it's a slow roiling boil with vinegar. Keep the boil slow while cooking the egg(s). Pull out with a slotted spoon. May take some experimentation. Not sure if water quality/hardness is important?

Dunno why it works, never thought it would. But my daughter just showed me how a few months ago. An old dog can learn new tricks.

But there's a lot of other good ideas here too. Will have to try the tin cup and and an inch of water in a fry pan methods, as well as the microwave.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Egg Poaching And Energy Versus Ease Of Use
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS