RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Best method to Repair Rubber Roof Tear???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best method to Repair Rubber Roof Tear???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:

When you applied the Eternabond tape, did it wrap over the rounded edge of the roof? Would the thickness of tape affect how rain water would drain (or not drain) to the gutters?

I did this on my last trailer and plan to do it to my current trailer. I run a single line of 2" Eternabond from front to rear, over the rounded edge and into the gutter. The tape didn't affect anything about draining into the gutter or draining away from the gutter.

That rounded edge is a pretty delicate part of the roof. If you drag a power wire or hose over it, its the easiest to puncture. That tape is pretty durable though and will seal that hole and help prevent other holes.

I know you don't want to get into it, but I hope you get some sort of remuneration from the delivering dealer!

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Bad place for Dicor or any other caulk imho.
Eternabond will outlast the roof.

I have never used Dicor before. Is it similar to caulk/sealant?

Yeah, it's a caulk that is specifically designed for rubber roofs.
It's works well for certain applications but on a corner like that the tape is best.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:

gbopp wrote:

One option is to run a strip of eternabond along the entire edge of the roof, both sides.
I did that on our 96 Southwind to cover some rips and worn areas. I applied it about 1/2 inch onto the rain gutter..
And, I applied Dicor along the edge of the Eternabond.

When you applied the Eternabond tape, did it wrap over the rounded edge of the roof? Would the thickness of tape affect how rain water would drain (or not drain) to the gutters?

Yes, I wrapped the E/bond over the curve on the roof. I didn't notice any difference in water running into the rain gutters. Use a roller when applying the Eternabond. I like the steel rollers, I think they do a better job, some like wooden rollers. Yes, I tried both.

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:

Mortimer Brewster wrote:

I had a very similar tear in our roof. Follow Eternabond’s directions for cleaning the surface. Be sure to use a roller after applying. Scott is correct - it will outlast your roof.

Ok, I will give the Eternabond a shot. I just wish it blended with the roof better. When I apply it, it will stand out like a sore thumb since it is on the edge of the roof.

d1

After a while, the only time you will notice it is when you are inspecting the roof.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eternabond works great. Make sure you prep it according to the directions and you should have a permanent fix.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

darleyhavidson wrote:

I did this on my last trailer and plan to do it to my current trailer. I run a single line of 2" Eternabond from front to rear, over the rounded edge and into the gutter. The tape didn't affect anything about draining into the gutter or draining away from the gutter.

That rounded edge is a pretty delicate part of the roof. If you drag a power wire or hose over it, its the easiest to puncture. That tape is pretty durable though and will seal that hole and help prevent other holes.

With my gutter, I have this rubber/vinyl rail above the gutter which I think helps attach the roof membrane to the camper. In the attached picture it is the piece with the blue arrow pointing at it. Do you see any issue with the Eternabond being placed over it?

The rubber/vinyl trim is not solid and has space behind it, kind of like an air cushion. So, rolling the Eternabond over it to getting it to attach might be a little problematic.

[image]

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 03:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best solution to this repair is to use Eternabond Webseal Tape. I will conform to any radius surface. The Webseal tape needs to be covered with a sealer or paint. Eternabond Roofseal tape can also be used but the top vinyl layer will tend to interfere with sharp radii. I have both on my trailer roof, the Webseal is installed over the edge trim's vinyl screw cover.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

The best solution to this repair is to use Eternabond Webseal Tape. I will conform to any radius surface. The Webseal tape needs to be covered with a sealer or paint. Eternabond Roofseal tape can also be used but the top vinyl layer will tend to interfere with sharp radii. I have both on my trailer roof, the Webseal is installed over the edge trim's vinyl screw cover.

If I use the Webseal tape, will the sealer/paint, that needs to be applied, be able to withstand being applied to a vertical surface without sagging/dripping? Would you use Webseal into the gutter area or stop short?

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:

With my gutter, I have this rubber/vinyl rail above the gutter which I think helps attach the roof membrane to the camper. In the attached picture it is the piece with the blue arrow pointing at it. Do you see any issue with the Eternabond being placed over it?

The rubber/vinyl trim is not solid and has space behind it, kind of like an air cushion. So, rolling the Eternabond over it to getting it to attach might be a little problematic.

Yup, looks similar to mine. I kept my tape just barely touching the top edge of that trim. That trim just covers the screws that hold the gutter to the wall, FYI.

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

darleyhavidson wrote:

Yup, looks similar to mine. I kept my tape just barely touching the top edge of that trim. That trim just covers the screws that hold the gutter to the wall, FYI.

Ok, thanks for the info. And did you follow up the with Dicor sealant at the seam between the Eternabond and the trim edge? Did you use 2" wide or 4" inch wide Eternabond. The more videos I watch, plus the info on this forum, is giving me more confidence to just do the entire roof perimeter (which should give me piece of mind over the next several years of camper ownership).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best method to Repair Rubber Roof Tear???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS