RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Best method to Repair Rubber Roof Tear???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best method to Repair Rubber Roof Tear???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, I didn't do any dicor at the seam, but I only did the sides. I've read that the Dicor is a good idea if you run a piece across the front or rear seam, because it has a lot of wind exposure.

For the side seams I used 2" wide. Plenty enough for the job at hand. I plan to do the rear seam with a 4" wide and the front seam with a 6" wide.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 2 different types of Dicor lap sealant. If you're going vertical, get the non-sag type. On the flat roof you can use the self-leveling type.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would see if the dealer would donate a roll of Eternabond and a couple tubes of Dicor. Seems like the least he could do...

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 01:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did my side roof seams back in early 2008 using 1.5" Eternabond strips like spoon did and after 10 years it still looks great with no issues. You can see the many, many ways I used Eternabond in the link in my signature and read the captions to the pics for details.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

I would see if the dealer would donate a roll of Eternabond and a couple tubes of Dicor. Seems like the least he could do...

Yeah, they have been very unmotivated to assist. They talk a big game but fail to deliver. And they have had multiple opportunities to make it right. Done talking about them. I just want to fix the roof and not stress about it leaking.

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

I did my side roof seams back in early 2008 using 1.5" Eternabond strips like spoon did and after 10 years it still looks great with no issues. You can see the many, many ways I used Eternabond in the link in my signature and read the captions to the pics for details.

Larry

Thanks for the reply. I looked at your pictures. Do you regret not removing the rubber trim that covers the gutter trim screws and applying the Eternabond over the trim piece (covering the screw heads) and down into the gutter?

Before I bought the camper, the rubber trim piece was coming loose from the metal trim, it basically became the gutter. I had the dealer reattach it. But now, in retrospect, I assume water was entering behind the rubber weighing it down with the dirt and debris that was being washed off the roof, until finally gave way.

So I am contemplating removing the rubber and just using Eternabond down into the gutter area.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:

LarryJM wrote:

Larry

Thanks for the reply. I looked at your pictures. Do you regret not removing the rubber trim that covers the gutter trim screws and applying the Eternabond over the trim piece (covering the screw heads) and down into the gutter?

Before I bought the camper, the rubber trim piece was coming loose from the metal trim, it basically became the gutter. I had the dealer reattach it. But now, in retrospect, I assume water was entering behind the rubber weighing it down with the dirt and debris that was being washed off the roof, until finally gave way.

So I am contemplating removing the rubber and just using Eternabond down into the gutter area.

I only have that rubber insert along the awning side of the trailer and I sealed the screw heads under it with Eternabond so covering it would not have given me any thing waterproofing wise. Along the non awning side I have the RainKap installed that goes in place of that vinyl and there I ran the Eternabond down and then about an inch onto the RainKap.

IMO you are not going to get a very good adhesion of the Eternabond over that section where the vinyl molding is and over all the screw heads anyway.

Larry

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

darleyhavidson wrote:

LarryJM wrote:

Larry

I only have that rubber insert along the awning side of the trailer and I sealed the screw heads under it with Eternabond so covering it would not have given me any thing waterproofing wise. Along the non awning side I have the RainKap installed that goes in place of that vinyl and there I ran the Eternabond down and then about an inch onto the RainKap.

IMO you are not going to get a very good adhesion of the Eternabond over that section where the vinyl molding is and over all the screw heads anyway.

Larry

Thanks for the feedback. Do you like the RainKap better than the gutter system?

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Do you like the RainKap better than the gutter system?

IMO the RainKap system beats anything else out there by miles. First it eliminates any black streaks not only from the roof, but from fittings under it since almost all the water is "thrown" away from the sides so it doesn't run down the sides for the most part. This also helps is preventing any leaks since if water isn't running over the caulk it can't leak. I have pics in the album in the link in my signature that shows how it sheds water away from the trailer sides. Also, unlike a gutter systems it's impossible to "clog" and the harder it rains the better it works.

Larry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best method to Repair Rubber Roof Tear???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS