RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Strange voice warning, (Are they coming from my head) ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Strange voice warning, (Are they coming from my head) ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
tri5ron

Orange County Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, I am posting this inquiry for a friend who is not yet a member of ORF. (but I am forcing her to join soon, hahaha).

A couple of weeks ago she purchased a brand new 2018 Dynamax Isata Series 3, From Dillon RV in Westminister, Ca. A few days after the purchase she took her "Maiden Voyage" of 2000 miles, and has just returned.

Naturally, She has a few issues with this new rig that popped up during her trip. I'm sure I will be inquiring here on some of the other issues later, but for now I would like to find out if anyone has ever had this particular experience or have any knowledge about it.

She explained to me that while driving the rig at normal highway speeds, and in normal good road and weather conditions, she would hear a voice speaking, (I'm assuming from some sort of on-board systems?). This voice would repeat periodically, but not necessarily at any identifiable or specific intervals or condition(s).

The voice would say, "Warning, You are in RV Violation".
So before anyone says it,.... Yes,... I know this sounds nuts, but this is what it is saying.

There were no accompanying indications like warning lights on the dash, or no handling or vehicle performance issues, no rattles, no shakes, no NOTHING. Just this strange voice is all.

Can anyone here shed some light on this ?
Has anyone ever heard of this ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS- Yes,... She is sitting here next to me as I type this, and Yes,... we are getting a kick out of how this must sound as a crazy question, LOL !

She is laughing while asking me, "Are these just voices in my head ?" hahaha.

Happy trails,
Ron

P.S.- If you smell wood burning, or see smoke,
don't worry, It's just me trying to think

97 Chevy Suburban towing a...
14' huntin' Toybox,

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's in her head - I can hear it to. [emoticon]

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the unit have some sort of GPS system that warns you of potential hazardous conditions ahead based on the route you're on?
Or, could it be some sort of toll road warning message from the same type of built in navigation system?

First time I've ever heard of anything like that.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. Please give us an update when your friend figures out if it's the RV or, she's losing it. [emoticon]
I agree, it sounds like some sort of GPS warning. Maybe it's automatic and can't be turned off for safety reasons?

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like a "too close" proximity warning similar to a voice in my daughter's car whenever she follows too close to a vehicle in front of her.

The voice response may have been designed-in using a poor/confusing choice of words .... maybe an "English as a second language sort of thing" on some engineer's part.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GPS in my son's truck vocalizes something about speeding violations when he is 10 mph over the speed limit. Perhaps something similar?

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy

tri5ron

Orange County Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

It sounds like a "too close" proximity warning similar to a voice in my daughter's car whenever she follows too close to a vehicle in front of her.

The voice response may have been designed-in using a poor/confusing choice of words .... maybe an "English as a second language sort of thing" on some engineer's part.

This sounds like a possibility. I was not riding with her to hear it for myself... but my buddy and I were thinking it might be something like this.

I failed to mention that she WAS towing a Tow'd, but she said she had a good 1000 miles on the road before she heard it for the first time.

I even asked her if she was driving in the fast lane, and could it possibly have been a Highway Patrolman speaking to her through his PA system, but she assured me she does not ever go past the right 2 lanes. Even when she is NOT towing.

The GPS sounds like a good possibility too. I will ask her if she was using the GPS next time I talk to her.

Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that RV comes standard with the Rand McNally RV navigation system. That system does vocalize certain violations... check out page 17 of the manual. Could it be one of those?

Rand McNally Manual pdf

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was she in California? Isn't the maximum highway speed limit set at 55 mph if you're towing in CA? Not sure how the GPS might know that she's towing, but it certainly would know the speed limit of the road she was on. Or, perhaps she was travelling at >65 mph and the alert was because she was over 65? Just guessing. Certainly will be interesting to find out what it was.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (21-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (16), 2 boys (18 & 15). Two Chinook dogs, 14 & 12.
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled up the manual that Dave linked, and it seems likely to me that the GPS is in RV Mode (vs Car Mode) and it's verbalizing a warning for Height, Weight, Speed, Propane on board, perhaps another.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Strange voice warning, (Are they coming from my head) ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS