|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Low weight bridges

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
grizz272

frozen tundra, WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are getting a fifth-wheel. I am aware of the height issues with the new camper. I never thought about the weight until tonight.
Pick up will be 3+ tons
The fifth-wheel is 6+ tons.
That is a a total of almost 10 tons.
In my rural Wisconsin neck of the woods we have a couple of bridges that have a weight limit of 5 tons. These are all rural back country roads.
There is even a road that has a 5 ton weight limit on it.
Has anyone had problems with coming up on a bridge that you were to heavy for?

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

We are fulltimers and I use Co-Pilot RV gps app. It allows you to enter the height, weight, length, width etc... which keeps me safe when traveling and routes me around these issues.

Co-Pilot RV

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you see the sign it's time to stop and go back; not when you get to the bridge a mile down the road. Better to only have to back up for a 100 feet rather than a mile.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some trucker oriented GPS units that will give you a better chance of avoiding height, width, weight problems between where you are and where you want to go.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are these short bridges? Is your axle span such that the truck and trailer won't be on the bridge at the same time?

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think bridges are limited per axle. Better check with DOT though.

-jbh-

sneakygroundbuzzard

st cloud mn

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

There are some trucker oriented GPS units that will give you a better chance of avoiding height, width, weight problems between where you are and where you want to go.

i drive semi for a living an have a rand mcnally trucker gps unit and keep it updated weekly

for the most part it will route you around low bridges and restricted weight bridges and roads.

but i have run into few that arent in the gps data base.

not to mention not all of the restricted weight bridges have a sign a mile before you approach them,some are right at the beginning of the bridge and i have seen a few where the sign is in the middle of the bridge.

with either of these two scenarios by time you see the sign its already to late and you better hope theres no popo around because your already going to be on the bridge.

i think that part of the reason some of these bridges arent in the gps data base is because their weight limit has been down graded because the structural integrity of the bridge is no longer up to par and waiting to be repaired(lot of infrastructure issues in this country)

sneakygroundbuzzard

st cloud mn

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johnhicks wrote:

I think bridges are limited per axle. Better check with DOT though.

most are gross weight,the sign will show pics of different types of vehicle and the weight limit for the type (i.e. pic of a straight truck,combination vehicle,or truck pulling doubles and triples)

JW of Opechee Shores

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having gone to college for civil engineering I can tell you that bridges are designed with a safety factor depending on span. Design will consider how much weight could be on a span should traffic come to a stop in both directions on the span with vehicles at max load. This would be the max dead load and if traffic is m0ving then that is a live load which has less impact. A 5 ton bridge limit should support a minimum of 10 ton plus safety factor.

Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then">

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

i drive semi for a living an have a rand mcnally trucker gps unit and keep it updated weekly

for the most part it will route you around low bridges and restricted weight bridges and roads.

but i have run into few that arent in the gps data base.

not to mention not all of the restricted weight bridges have a sign a mile before you approach them,some are right at the beginning of the bridge and i have seen a few where the sign is in the middle of the bridge.

with either of these two scenarios by time you see the sign its already to late and you better hope theres no popo around because your already going to be on the bridge.

i think that part of the reason some of these bridges arent in the gps data base is because their weight limit has been down graded because the structural integrity of the bridge is no longer up to par and waiting to be repaired(lot of infrastructure issues in this country)

We've crossed a few bridges here and there that have looked like they couldn't support their stated max weight limit. Mostly off the beaten path, so beware of those back roads.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Low weight bridges
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS