|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Propane inline Tee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ksmoody

Palmdale, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to install a brass propane tee on my rig between the tank and the regulator to connect a BBQ.
I don't know what type of thread connection to get. I have seen ones that are POL or ACME thread. I don't know the difference between those two types.
I have a 2008 Fleetwood Tioga.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best thing to get is this:
Extend a flow
You can find just the tee at some Ace Hardware

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 01:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my local propane dealer make me one and a 25 foot hose. It works well. When finished I turn the fuel off at the tank and let the remaining fuel burn off before disconnecting. I stored my line in the compartment in the rear of the coach and the odor of the fuel is evident each time I open the compartment door. I even taped over the ends before I put it inside to prevent any dirt or spider contamination that would clog the hose. I have the BBQ stored under the dinette but that hasn't been an issue. Maybe because the BBQ is in a plastic bag?

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It must be that your RV's built-in propane tank is on the same side as the awning so that you can BBQ where all the outside activity is?

Our propane tank isn't on that side, so we have to carry along separate tanks for the BBQ and firepit so that we can use them around the awning area.

* This post was edited 03/06/18 12:13pm by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing you need to do is to split the line where you want to install your T so you can see what you need. If you pull the pipe on the upstream end of your regulator, it's probably a 1/2" pipe thread. If you pull the connection from between your propane tank shutoff valve and the pipe to the regulator, it MAY be a pipe thread or it may be a propane spud or even an inverted flare fitting. It all depends on how your manufacturer put it together. Once you get it split you'll be able to tell. All possible fittings should be available in a good hardware store, auto supply store or at a propane dealer.

We've done what you want to do, but mine is set up to feed propane from a 5 gal BBQ type bottle to the rig so I don't have to pack the rig up to go into town when I need propane. Just be sure you put a propane valve just downstream of your new T to the BBQ. That way if your hose springs a leak, it can be isolated from your rig propane system.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

It must be that your RV's built-in propane tank is on the same side as the awning so that you can BBQ where all the outside activity is?

Our propane tank isn't on that side, so we have to carry along separate tanks for the BBQ and fire pit so that we can use them around the awning area.

with the 25 foot line I hook it to the tank then toss it under the coach and have plenty of room to hook to the BBQ. My lines are always taped off to prevent debris from getting in them.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you wanted to have something like this "professionally engineered" where or who would be qualified and who would actually be willing and able to perform the work? An RV dealership? Camping World?
I asked a propane supply outfit for something similar. Wanted to add a shutoff valve to my T connection between the main tank valve and the regulator, so I could turn off the gas to the grill line, without shutting off the gas to the regulator/coach. I asked a major Michigan propane supplier if they would do something like this, and they declined because it was an "RV application". They told me they aren't qualified/certified to work on mobile applications or something like that. They had no problem making me up high pressure hoses/fittings, but wouldn't touch the actual plumbing.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

If you wanted to have something like this "professionally engineered" where or who would be qualified and who would actually be willing and able to perform the work? An RV dealership? Camping World?
I asked a propane supply outfit for something similar. Wanted to add a shutoff valve to my T connection between the main tank valve and the regulator, so I could turn off the gas to the grill line, without shutting off the gas to the regulator/coach. I asked a major Michigan propane supplier if they would do something like this, and they declined because it was an "RV application". They told me they aren't qualified/certified to work on mobile applications or something like that. They had no problem making me up high pressure hoses/fittings, but wouldn't touch the actual plumbing.

My unit required me to turn off the main valve at the tank, remove the existing line from the tank, screw in the new fitting to the tank and then refasten the gas line to the new fitting. Turn on, s l o w l y and then check for leaks with soapy water. My new hose plugs into a connector that is similar to plugging in an air tool to air line then turning the valve to feed gas into the line.
Got an adjustable wrench and some silicone tape, it's easy. Have you called a mobile RV mechanic? The propane people are overdramatizing this. Don't the propane people go out and hook tanks to people's homes?

[image]

If you look closely you can see the regulator was originally connected to the tank.These are all basic gas connectors that a reputable propane service center would carry. If I were to remove this fitting I could easily reconnect the regulator as it is on a rubber line with room to play with. I don't think I actually had to use tape for the fittings, they were taped already and the new fittings are the standard connectors. So, if you can hook a new line to your fuel tank on your BBQ you can hook this up. Checking for leaks is important.
Camping world i would avoid.

* This post was last edited 03/07/18 09:07am by klutchdust *   View edit history

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Installed a extend-a-stay on my RV. Gave hook up to BBQ and allowed hooking up a portable propane tank instead of using the built in tank when parked for more than few days.
Here is a link to the Camco version of the extend-a-stay.
Easy to install and no tape needed. Just check for leaks.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be installing a factory manufactured item such as Extend a Stay/Flow or Camco unit rather then a home made item.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Propane inline Tee
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS