RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Are inspections essential or not?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Are inspections essential or not?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 12:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

canuckystan wrote:

No warranties - if something breaks after I drive away, that's my problem.
Then get a mobile rv tech to look it over. These guys have seen everything, from every Mfgr and type of rv. They have nothing to gain or lose.

X2 also be sure someone gets on the roof . I would pay a mobile mechanic if I couldn't do it myself. Who is the inspector?

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not pay anyone to do an inspection if I felt confident to know what to inspect for myself. It is not hard, especially if you have owned a motor home before. You already know areas of concern, and inspect for those concerns. Simple failures with simple fixes would not count to me.

As far as 8000 miles on a 11 year old 29 foot Aspect stored indoors, for $48,000. That sounds like a real "Gem" to me. I would have to find some very serious issues to pass it up. If that is the asking price, I would try to negotiate it down another $5000, but would not let the price interfere with the purchase.....assuming you don't find a serious problem. The only common serious problem would be water damage. Also look for undercarriage damage, any kind of physical damage and split seam work. You don't need to pay someone $400 to check for those things. Cracked-up caulk on the roof would be fine as long as there are no water stains inside, nor a musty odor. The caulk may have cracked while inside being stored. If buying the rig with cracked caulk, take care of it immediately.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ol' yeller

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent the $400 to have our Class C inspected prior to purchase. It was the best $400 I ever spent on an RV. It took them about 3 hours for the house and chassis inspection. They checked all systems, inspected the roof and seams for leaks and put the rig up on a lift to inspect the suspension and brakes. They also did a visual inspection on the engine compartment and generator as well as checking all fluid levels. All they found was a broken clip on the awning and a leaking check valve on the HWT and the tires were Michelins on recall so they needed replacement.

I didn't see any of the minor issues they found during my initial inspection. I suspect my eyes were clouded with anticipation of all the fun trips we were going to have. I have owned several RVs prior to that one and I am a fair wrench when it comes to things mechanical. My issues were very minor and didn't impede the sale at all but the peace of mind knowing everything was double checked, first by me and then by them insured a good reliable purchase. That was confirmed by how well the coach has held up over the years following.

2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A Class C
Oh yeah, the wife & Beagle come along too!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Am I missing something?"

One question I would have for the previous owner, "So . . . . why are you selling it?" Pay very close attention to the answer because private parties don't always answer honestly. Does the answer given match what you see when YOU inspect it? You are looking at an essentially new garaged vehicle with some time on it.

That said, a simple functional check of all the RV systems (both coach and chassis) A/C, generator, refrigerator, batteries, leaks, etc. (time oriented wear items mostly) should suffice. Look very carefully for previously repaired accident/water damage. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, IMO it would be best to have it inspected. If you do and if everything checks out, it sounds like you found a good deal. Negotiating the price down a little could only sweeten the deal for you. Enjoy!

Chum lee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Are inspections essential or not?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS