RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Limit of six people per site?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Limit of six people per site?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
JoeTampa

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trying to get some friends of ours and their kids to go with us on an upcoming trip over Spring Break. We total nine people - which isn't a problem as the right sleeps 10 easily.

However, all the campgrounds we are contacting (Fort Lauderdale area and Sarasota area) will only permit a maximum of six people per site. One campground said it had to do with fire codes - but I don't see why that would factor in.

Does anyone have any insight into this logic?

2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may well be fire codes, or similar restrictions. Government regulations do not always make logical sense.

In some cases I think it has to do with sanitary codes; the sewage system and bath houses are sized for a certain number of people, figured at x per site, and they're not permitted to have more than that per site. I think in most cases it's just the management (be it public or private) not wanting to overcrowd sites and to avoid problems with rowdiness, excess noise, etc.

Perhaps you can book two adjacent sites, maybe putting a tent on the other one if they require some structure there.

I recall a funny story here posted not too long ago about a larger party camping together over two campsites and a rather disagreeable ranger. They were eating dinner at the picnic table (all in one campsite), and the ranger informed them that it was too many people on the one site and some of them would have to move to the other site. Undeterred, they picked up the two picnic tables, put them side-by-side at the boundary line between the campsites, and continued their dinner. The ranger was not amused at this solution, but couldn't do anything about it, particularly as all the other campers were enjoying his discomfit. I wish I could find that thread....

Ski Pro 3

Placerville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

imagine every campsite occupied with 10 people each. It's that scenario that the max limit is established. It's conceivable that a group or organization would reserve several spots co-located and max out the spots with 10 people, overloading the facilities as well as disrupt the other campers.
So just reserve two spots, stretch out and enjoy!

2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 crew cab w/diesel and manual tranny.
2012 Lance 855S camper

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/18 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you looking at commercial or USFS CG?

Many USFS CG (as well as National Parks) have group sites, specifically for such situations. Nearly every place I've seen or been to, at least here in Colorado, have a 6-8 person limit/site. No explanation as to why, just that limit. But with the option of a group site, usually in a seperate or different loop, with a higher limit.

If you're looking at commercial, I'm sure some of the park owners that are on the forum could give a good reason as to why a 6 person limit.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=JoeTampa]Trying to get some friends of ours and their kids to go with us on an upcoming trip over Spring Break. We total nine people - which isn't a problem as the right sleeps 10 easily.

However, all the campgrounds we are contacting (Fort Lauderdale area and Sarasota area) will only permit a maximum of six people per site. One campground said it had to do with fire codes - but I don't see why that would factor in.

Does anyone have any insight into this logic?[/quote]

Most likely it's called Spring Break.

JMHO,

As if all didi it it might just be a LITTLE Crowded.

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don't you call the campground and explain the situation? Maybe they can work out a solution. If not try somewhere else.

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of campgrounds have what they call group sites, which are for larger parties of people. See if any have these for you or get 2 adjacent sites.
Brian

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish they would enforce that rule here.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

It may well be fire codes, or similar restrictions. Government regulations do not always make logical sense.

In some cases I think it has to do with sanitary codes; the sewage system and bath houses are sized for a certain number of people, figured at x per site, and they're not permitted to have more than that per site. I think in most cases it's just the management (be it public or private) not wanting to overcrowd sites and to avoid problems with rowdiness, excess noise, etc.

Perhaps you can book two adjacent sites, maybe putting a tent on the other one if they require some structure there.

I recall a funny story here posted not too long ago about a larger party camping together over two campsites and a rather disagreeable ranger. They were eating dinner at the picnic table (all in one campsite), and the ranger informed them that it was too many people on the one site and some of them would have to move to the other site. Undeterred, they picked up the two picnic tables, put them side-by-side at the boundary line between the campsites, and continued their dinner. The ranger was not amused at this solution, but couldn't do anything about it, particularly as all the other campers were enjoying his discomfit. I wish I could find that thread....

This. There are reasons.

YOUR group may be quiet and not disturb anyone.... but you could just as well be a group of 10 college kids.

I would not care to be camped next to that many people crowded into one site.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our EPA licensed wastewater fields are limited by maximum daily inflow based on the number of sites and comfort station fixtures they serve. If each site were occupied by 4 persons average, it would be maximized.
The impact of foot and vehicles on one site by so many will do serious wear to the grass, the extra water and electric usage are other reasons for limiting one site occupancy. Other camps may have their own reasons.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Limit of six people per site?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS