RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: My Inverter Install

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

 > My Inverter Install

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ependydad

Here and there

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/06/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone else hit on the things that raised red flags for me.

BUT- I will say, I use the same trick for the inverter with backfeeding the camper's power from it. So long as I shut off the converter/charger, it works really well with my 1000W inverter.


2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page


SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/06/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

BUT- I will say, I use the same trick for the inverter with backfeeding the camper's power from it. So long as I shut off the converter/charger, it works really well with my 1000W inverter.


Certainly feeding the entire trailer "whole house" by plugging it's main service cable into the inverter's output can work but after having to go outside in the snow at 3 am to move my cable from the dead campsite post and over to the inverter I decided it was time to wire my inverter's output directly to dedicated receptacles inside the trailer. Now when we lose shore power I don't even have to get out of bed - just turn on the inverter with the remote control and go back to sleep. I also don't have to remember to turn the converter off or force the fridge to the gas mode. When shore power is restored everything in the trailer automatically just goes back to normal. [emoticon]


2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4


thetechie01

Olympia, WA

Full Member

Joined: 03/23/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/06/18 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I should add some more info... after the pictures were taken, I added a buch of ventilation to the box, front, back and bottom, and 99% of the time the inverter is on I have the lid open to monitor things.

My batteries are wired according to the second method in that link, which he states is the best for two batteries.

My deep cycle batteries are about 6 years old, and likely near end of their life, hence the 11.8v and only taking about an hour to charge with a stand alone battery charger.

The inverter I have has a GFCI circuit already, and when I don't have the cord plugged in, I have a rubber plug cover that I use so it's protected.

This was our first time in 7 years of owning the trailer to camp somewhere without some kind of power, so it won't be used that often as it is, just there for those few times that it's needed.


2007 Coachmen 31DSB pulled by a 2012 F350


SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/06/18 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thetechie01 wrote:

... and 99% of the time the inverter is on I have the lid open to monitor things.


Hmmmm, kinda awkward when it's pouring rain outside. [emoticon]

thetechie01 wrote:

My deep cycle batteries are about 6 years old, and likely near end of their life, hence the 11.8v and only taking about an hour to charge with a stand alone battery charger.


Which may be the perfect excuse to replace those aged flooded batts with a pair of AGMs that would be a lot safer to locate within the same box as the inverter and allow you to leave the lid closed. [emoticon]

thetechie01

Olympia, WA

Full Member

Joined: 03/23/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/06/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

thetechie01 wrote:

... and 99% of the time the inverter is on I have the lid open to monitor things.


Hmmmm, kinda awkward when it's pouring rain outside. [emoticon]

thetechie01 wrote:

My deep cycle batteries are about 6 years old, and likely near end of their life, hence the 11.8v and only taking about an hour to charge with a stand alone battery charger.


Which may be the perfect excuse to replace those aged flooded batts with a pair of AGMs that would be a lot safer to locate within the same box as the inverter and allow you to leave the lid closed. [emoticon]


Agreed!! That's definitely the next step in this process.

ependydad

Here and there

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/07/18 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Certainly feeding the entire trailer "whole house" by plugging it's main service cable into the inverter's output can work but after having to go outside in the snow at 3 am to move my cable from the dead campsite post and over to the inverter I decided it was time to wire my inverter's output directly to dedicated receptacles inside the trailer. Now when we lose shore power I don't even have to get out of bed - just turn on the inverter with the remote control and go back to sleep. I also don't have to remember to turn the converter off or force the fridge to the gas mode. When shore power is restored everything in the trailer automatically just goes back to normal. [emoticon]


Switching between inverter and generator was a chore. I actually ate cold food vs. going out to switch to the generator for the 1 minute of microwave use I needed.

When I wired it all up, I wasn't mentally prepared for thinking about how to do it right. I was just proud of myself for getting the inverter + 4 batteries installed. [emoticon]

When I do it again, I'll do better. I like Xantrex's automatic transfer switches for individual breakers. I'll be able to pick 2 breakers and make most of the camper outlets hot regardless of power source. New trailer Friday, so who knows when I'll get the batteries and inverter properly installed...

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2007

View Profile



Posted: 03/07/18 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the box was properly ventilated, I would still be worried about the corrosive environment vs the "explosive" environment.

* This post was edited 03/07/18 03:47pm by mobeewan *

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/08/18 12:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

As long as the box was properly ventilated, I would still be worried about the corrosive environment vs the "explosive" environment.


Shouldn't be an issue if the OP replaces those aging flooded batts with AGMs as he's indicated is his intention.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/08/18 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

It’s great having 110 without the gen running.

I would be cautious about hydrogen gas buildup near the inverter.
Also 11.8 volts is getting into battery damage territory.


Ditto.

An inverter should never be mounted were battery gases exist.

My first job was wokring for a major inverter company which later became Xantrex.

Rule 1 was NEVER mount an inverter in the compartment were batteries are


2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/08/18 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my inverter wiring

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

 > My Inverter Install
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS