|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Quikee Step problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what do you mean by "operating sporadically"?

Some of this is speculation...
Fact: Kwikee (not quickee) uses a common window riser motor, Ford or Chevy depending on the model of the steps. (And possibly Chrysler as well) but you can get a new motor at an Auto Parts Store or so I"m told

Speculation: THey use 2nds not the best of the product.

I found the motor on my unit has a "Dead Spot" or two. if the motor stops on the dead spot.. NO operation.. I take a hammer, "Thunk" the motor a few times using the HANDLE of the hammer (hold the head, I don't want to smash the thing) and then get out from under and open the door.. steps extend (or close the door and they retract).

Finally I open the transmission (Careful, small parts will get lost) and move the gears so the motor stops at a different stop.

SAnd it Works.

Later I had to replace the steps (Due to operator error) and again I had to re-index the motor.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

timjet

Land O Lakes, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sporadic operation?

Check all connections before doing anything.

Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

neilnbe

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fix mine more than I care to admit, to the point that I carry a spare motor. You can get them on eBay or Amazon pretty cheap. But honestly 9 times out of 10 it's a bad ground. Make sure it's clean and you may want to add a jumper to the actual chassis not just the housing. That connection is the most critical and it's out in the weather. So needs to be cleaned once in a while.

Neil, Deb
2 Kids 1 Dog
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire
'11 Ford Edge
Mountain Master Towbrake
Blue Ox Adventa II

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever lubricated it?

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to understand how people are using these steps in order to need multiple motor changes. But I've only owned two RVs.

Neither Kwikee step assemblies have needed a motor, one was 22 years old when I sold it, this one is 14 years old. Maintenance yes, motor no. I did get the chance to pull a gear box apart on my 22 yo Kwikee and it was fairly well made. Even though it had been stressed enough that the gear case had popped open, the gears and motor were still in excellent condition. Just took some squeezing of the case and a couple new screws and all was well.

I hope that you 'young' RV owners have the same luck I had with those steps.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArchHoagland wrote:

Have you ever lubricated it?

Good question, it should be lubricated monthly.

2014 American Eagle

Coelacanth

Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/18 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

O.K.,...I have a similar issue, but in my case the steps on my 1996 Itasca Suncruiser are stuck in the retracted position.
For years they would stick either open or closed periodically, but after opening the door a few times, or driving a few miles they would work fine for months. Now, I think whatever the issue was/is has finally decided it’s had enough?
I’ve tried whacking everything I could whack. I cleaned the green ground wire connection. Nope. And, I have always kept everything well lubricated.
The odd thing is, the step light comes on when the door opens and I can hear the relay clicking.
I downloaded and printed off the Kwikee test manuals. All the connections test as they should, but the white wire and brown wire results are reversed. I’ve read this may be true on some earlier models? This unit is a Series 32 and has the old, yellow #909513 controller box.
I tried to jump the motor using one of the house batteries. I disconnected the main, 4 lead plug to the controller, but did not disconnect the motor wires from the controller box. I just opened the odd looking in-line connector. But, all I managed to do was blow the 20 amp fuse in my test wire from the battery to the motor red lead.
I just ordered the Kwikee, 4-way test plug from Amazon. I haven’t given up yet. I’d prefer to fix this, rather than install a bypass switch.
But, I’m at a loss. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Regards,
Jack

1996 Itasca Suncruiser, 34k miles

Gottahaveit

Stockton CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/18 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had exact same problem..Ordered new motor from Amazon. A few bolts to replace and happy campers again. (put up with the sometimes works for to long)

40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Coelacanth

Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/18 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gottahaveit wrote:

Had exact same problem..Ordered new motor from Amazon. A few bolts to replace and happy campers again. (put up with the sometimes works for to long)

Since the steps are retracted, I’m going to assume I’ll need to disassemble them to get at the motor?
Any idea why my attempt to jump the motor to extend the steps shorted out?

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/18 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the "stuck extended" problem not long ago.
I got under the step, disconnected the 2-wire connector at the motor, hooked jumper leads to the coach batteries, and tried actuating the motor. Nothing, just clicked. reversed the leads, and the steps started to retract. So, ensuring that hands and arms were out of the way, I retracted the steps fully, then extended them a couple of times.
I re-connected the motor connector, and the steps have been working fine ever since.
I have no idea what went wrong, nor do I have any idea what I did that solved the problem, but the steps are working now
I guess that is all that matters...

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Quikee Step problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS