RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one and have had no issues. It is quite but time will tell as to how long it will last. If you want to spend double the amount you can buy a Honda and get better quality. Your money.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

We have one and have had no issues. It is quite but time will tell as to how long it will last. If you want to spend double the amount you can buy a Honda and get better quality. Your money.

...or spend about $200 more and get the Champion 3100 and have a tool that will do the job. Honda EU2000 owner here and I've tried what he wants to do. It's not a pretty story

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option if you want a cushion may be another Westinghouse product. The I-gen 2500 is available from Home Depot for about $700 has a 2500 watt surge and 2200 continious watts. The claim is that this one will run a 15k AC unit, but I did notice that it only has a 20 amp outlet.
It's about the same size as the one you listed, with the same claimed noise level.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kerrlakeRoo wrote:

Another option if you want a cushion may be another Westinghouse product. The I-gen 2500 is available from Home Depot for about $700 has a 2500 watt surge and 2200 continious watts. The claim is that this one will run a 15k AC unit, but I did notice that it only has a 20 amp outlet.
It's about the same size as the one you listed, with the same claimed noise level.

Not sure if that genny would reliably run a 15K AC. But for about $750 (I've heard of $699 deals) you can get the Champion 3100 which will run the OP's AC with ease. Champion has a big following and very good customer support. Just my 2 cents.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

I am hoping to make a breathable enclosure for it, so to run it even during quiet hours when noisy generators are not allowed.

A properly constructed quiet box is pretty quiet. A couple of people on the forum have built them, and report very good results. You can also find how-tos on YouTube.

Still not a good idea to run it during quiet hours...

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree for myself Ron, planning on a new one shortly with remote start. But if the OP's concern was size, these little westies are about half the weight, and the 2500 model has a clone of the 98cc Honda engine that is used in the 2000i.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

I am hoping to make a breathable enclosure for it, so to run it even during quiet hours when noisy generators are not allowed.

There is no such thing as a quiet generator at night during quiet time. An internal combustion engine cannot be made quiet enough to not be heard in the still of the night. And if it is heard. It will get reported, and then turned off.

When they complain about a propane water heater running. You know a running engine won't be tolerated

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

"I am hoping to make a breathable enclosure for it, so to run it even during quiet hours when noisy generators are not allowed."

I've got bad news for the OP... Campground quiet time does not mean no noisy generators, it means NO Generators may be run regardless of how "quiet" you think yours will ultimately be. It is hard to imagine that you can silence any generator with an enclosure.

[emoticon]
This! Thanks Cap'n! Quiet means just that.

brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alright, alright.

Everyone panicking that I *may* be the idiot next to them running a 52dB genset in an enclosure while they are trying to sleep just relax.

My *thought* was actually for DAY USE for AC in the hot sun when everyone is out and running around and we needed to cool off but weren't at a site with electric. The county park we go to all the time only allows 10am-12pm & 5pm-7pm for gens.

Not running it all night. Of course, perceived noise is much louder at night. And yes if it WAS loud I wouldn't the *that* guy anyway, regardless of the daylight usage.

If it isn't as loud as conversation dB anyway, then in a box, and screaming kids all around, didn't think anyone would notice if it actually worked.

Sheeze, looks like I brought up some bad memories for some people that had a crappy night with some morons nearby. Please - do tell.

Anyway, thanks for the input on the Gens.

Either going to just get it, take it home and try it out for a few days and return it if the ADVERTISED "will run a 13.5btu with EASE" doesn't hold up. (HD pretty good on returns)

Or will keep on looking at ones suggested.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More bad news boss... Once you put oil and fuel in and run it, it is not returnable. You need more generator than this for your stated needs but please, for the sake of you camping neighbors... do not buy a Champion noisemaker. [emoticon]

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS