RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/07/18 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

More bad news boss... Once you put oil and fuel in and run it, it is not returnable. You need more generator than this for your stated needs but please, for the sake of you camping neighbors... do not buy a Champion noisemaker. [emoticon]

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]


Desert Captain, Champion makes very quiet inverter generators that are widely loved.
You must be thinking of Champion's open frame contractor-style generators.

Two different animals.




Yes, the open frame Champions are my definition of a noisemaker. Harbor freight sells lots of them to the folks who do not care about others, only their wallets. I have yet to find a "very quiet" generator of any type that wears the Champion badge. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I have never encountered one.

[emoticon]


[emoticon]

Champion Specs
2000 - 53 db
3100 - 58 db

Honda Specs
2000 - 53 db
3000 - 57 db

Please show us where the big noise difference is.

Desert Captain

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/18 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

More bad news boss... Once you put oil and fuel in and run it, it is not returnable. You need more generator than this for your stated needs but please, for the sake of you camping neighbors... do not buy a Champion noisemaker. [emoticon]

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]


Desert Captain, Champion makes very quiet inverter generators that are widely loved.
You must be thinking of Champion's open frame contractor-style generators.

Two different animals.




Yes, the open frame Champions are my definition of a noisemaker. Harbor freight sells lots of them to the folks who do not care about others, only their wallets. I have yet to find a "very quiet" generator of any type that wears the Champion badge. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I have never encountered one.

[emoticon]


[emoticon]

Champion Specs
2000 - 53 db
3100 - 58 db

Honda Specs
2000 - 53 db
3000 - 57 db

Please show us where the big noise difference is.



The difference is your inability to compare apples to apples. Champion open frame generators, {as previously noted, my definition of a noisemaker} are about twice as loud as you have suggested. As I said, have yet to run across any Champion badged genny that was not obnoxiously loud. If they are now making quieter models good on them... it's about time.

[emoticon]





Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 03/07/18 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:



Yes, the open frame Champions are my definition of a noisemaker. Harbor freight sells lots of them to the folks who do not care about others, only their wallets. I have yet to find a "very quiet" generator of any type that wears the Champion badge. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I have never encountered one.

[emoticon]


And your inability to see I am talking about inverter generators.
[emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/07/18 12:55pm by Boon Docker *

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Champion inverter gennys are reasonably quiet. It's the open frame generators (not the topic of discussion here) that are basically as noisy as a lawn mower. Champion makes some of them too.

Open frame generators have their place, are often sold as "contractor generators" and are the ones you see priced at $399 for a 7000 watt generator.

Again, as noted above, we're discussing "inverter" type generators that are suitable for a campground. My daughter and her husband just purchased the Champion 3400 with remote start to run their 15K AC. Works fine and is reasonably quiet. They found it online for $999 with free shipping and no tax. Great deal.


2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Posted: 03/07/18 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

My *thought* was actually for DAY USE for AC in the hot sun when everyone is out and running around and we needed to cool off but weren't at a site with electric. The county park we go to all the time only allows 10am-12pm & 5pm-7pm for gens.


My friend, you still don't get it. The times to run your generator are quite clear, yet you still want to run yours during prohibited times. Yes, an enclosure may soften the noise somewhat, but will certainly not eliminate it. Other people in the campground do not want to listen to your generator, regardless of how quiet, during the prohibited hours.

Desert Captain

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/18 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon docker.

You might be talking about the new, allegedly quiet Champion products but I read no such assurance from the OP. He clearly needs a more powerful genny then he initially contemplated and wants to build a box so he can run it during quiet times. I did not "assume" he would not go with an open frame and simply asked him not to buy a Champion noisemaker which I further defined as one of their open framed models.

As I pointed out I have never encountered a quiet Champion. Others here assure me that they are out there {since I believe them it looks like I have learned something here... and thanks for that} and I said good on them {and yes it is about time}. Red and Yellow have been building generators with the numbers you quoted for decades, Champion not so much. If Champion is now doing so it is a fairly new development that I applaud.

I guess you have never had a night in a CG ruined because some fool just had to run his open frame for hours so they could watch TV. Of course, they put it at the end of a 75' extension cord to get it away from their rig and a scant 10' from mine... [emoticon]

Wish I could say this has only happened once but that would not be true. I love quiet generators, considerately used and as to the brand... frankly Scarlet.

[emoticon]

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/18 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain; I guess this topic has run its course. I suggest we let the OP try what he wants to try and discover on his own why it's a bad idea.

Florida Swamp Fox

Florida

New Member

Joined: 12/18/2009

View Profile



Posted: 03/07/18 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The brand and model of your 13500 btu AC plays into your answer. I am not referring to the start capacitor but the locked rotor amps required at start up. Colemans Power Saver units 11000, 13500 have a really low amp requirement. The 11000 will run on the Honda eu2000i in most circumstances. (Based on experience) Its going to run up kind of loud and eco has to be off. I say loud comparing to the Honda eu3000 which is really really quite. Really heavy too.


2015 Ford F350 CC 6.7 PSD DRW
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 DB (sold)
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS


Desert Captain

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/18 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

Desert Captain; I guess this topic has run its course. I suggest we let the OP try what he wants to try and discover on his own why it's a bad idea.


Works for me...

[emoticon]

brianosaur

Long Island

Full Member

Joined: 01/29/2006

View Profile



Posted: 03/07/18 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

brianosaur wrote:

My *thought* was actually for DAY USE for AC in the hot sun when everyone is out and running around and we needed to cool off but weren't at a site with electric. The county park we go to all the time only allows 10am-12pm & 5pm-7pm for gens.


My friend, you still don't get it. The times to run your generator are quite clear, yet you still want to run yours during prohibited times. Yes, an enclosure may soften the noise somewhat, but will certainly not eliminate it. Other people in the campground do not want to listen to your generator, regardless of how quiet, during the prohibited hours.


Actually, you are just old-school blatantly ASSUMING people will hear it among the children running around, music playing, cars passing by ect.

You have absolutely NO idea how loud or soft it will be in a well-built sound deadening enclosure, and are going by a preconceived idea that it will most certainly be 100% audible.

*IF* others don't hear it then nobody will be bothered because nobody WOULD KNOW.

If it doesn't work and is discernable from outside my site - then so be it. I wouldn't run it then.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS