RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

We have one and have had no issues. It is quiet but time will tell as to how long it will last. Your money.

THAT'S A YES

dodge guy wrote:

I have a similar 2200W and it will not start my 13.5 AC. I got it for free so I wasn’t out anything. If I were to buy something it would be at least a 3k Watt.

THAT'S A NO

K Charles wrote:

We have a powerhouse that is 2200 serge and 2000 run. It always ran the AC in our TT with other things running.

THAT'S A YES

Lwiddis wrote:

I have this generator. It won't start my AC but should with a soft start kit.

THAT'S A NO and a MAYBE

Boon Docker wrote:

According to the Q&A on that website two people say it will not power a 13.5 AC unit.

THAT'S A NO

-----

Okay, so I guess the answer my op is a "POSSIBLE" but advised to go bigger or go home.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 01:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

Okay, so I guess the answer my op is a "POSSIBLE" but advised to go bigger or go home.

Depends on what you mean by "bigger" ... as I said on Pg 1 of this discussion - "... the new Honda EU2200 has a 121 cc engine, this Westinghouse has a 79 cc engine - which do you think stands the best chances of successfully starting your A/C?"

Successfully starting any A/C compressor depends on ambient conditions - i.e. temperature & altitude. The hotter it is, the higher the elevation above sea level, the greater will be the load placed on the genset by the A/C compressor. That initial load can be eased substantially by equipping the A/C with a soft starter kit such as the Micro-Air Easy Start but it won't do a thing for A/Cs running amps requirement - only a higher capacity genset will solve that. For those that don't expect to be running A/C at higher elevations or in extreme temperatures the ready availability of these soft starter kits does now make it practical to consider powering a 13.5K BTU A/C with a Honda EU2000i or better still the new Honda EU2200i. Common sense however suggests that any genset with a much smaller 79 cc engine, be it this Westie you're talking about or even a Yamaha EF2000iS, is less likely to be able to cope with the initial surge load than a genset like the new Honda EU2200i which has a 50% larger 121 cc engine. Defined in this manner an EU2200i is "bigger" even though it's still a 2K genset. [emoticon]

Florida Swamp Fox

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the late 80s I had a friend that would take his trailer to the Lake at Camp Blanding where there was a campground without electricity. Nice lake but real hot in Florida during the summer. This guy took an open frame contractor generator, put it into a very small utility trailer which he cut a vent into and piped his exhaust to another whole in the wall. He put a fan motor in the roof vent and ran the generator. You could just barely hear it. Not sure how long he got away with it but I saw it working and that loud #%* generator could barely be heard.

2015 Ford F350 CC 6.7 PSD DRW
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 DB (sold)
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS

brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida Swamp Fox wrote:

I saw it working and that loud #%* generator could barely be heard.

Exactamundo!

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

Florida Swamp Fox wrote:

I saw it working and that loud #%* generator could barely be heard.

Exactamundo!
The main problem is not going to be how quiet you can operate the generator but who hears it run and management's adherence to the rules. You know that if you are running the gen set during quiet hours and another genereator owner shut his down,there is going to be bad feelings. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just pointing out the obvious.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JoeTampa

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

It will beg for mercy at full throttle. I would not recommend it. Spend a few hundred more and get a Champion 3100

I concur with this. The Champion has a 30A trailer connector and I can indeed say that it will start and run the AC in my rig.

I have a Progressive Industries surge protector, and one of the nice things about it is that it shows your current consumption - so I know how many amps I draw with any desired combination of appliances running. Knowing this is pretty crucial to obtaining a generator that will meet your (rig's) needs. With one AC and everything but the microwave on, I am drawing 24A, which equates to 2640 watts - well within the range of the Champion (3100 starting watts, 2800 running watts). 1800 running and 2200 starting watts would definitely not work for me as the A/C is about 20 of those amps (2200 watts running).

2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeTampa wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

It will beg for mercy at full throttle. I would not recommend it. Spend a few hundred more and get a Champion 3100

I concur with this. The Champion has a 30A trailer connector and I can indeed say that it will start and run the AC in my rig.

I have a Progressive Industries surge protector, and one of the nice things about it is that it shows your current consumption - so I know how many amps I draw with any desired combination of appliances running. Knowing this is pretty crucial to obtaining a generator that will meet your (rig's) needs. With one AC and everything but the microwave on, I am drawing 24A, which equates to 2640 watts - well within the range of the Champion (3100 starting watts, 2800 running watts). 1800 running and 2200 starting watts would definitely not work for me as the A/C is about 20 of those amps (2200 watts running).

Unless they have done a recent upgrade, the current reading on the PI readout is terribly inaccurate. Often reading way more than actual current and on other occasions way less.

After I verified this comparing to a true RMS current probe I called PI and they admitted it is very very inacurate and they added it as a feature only to discover how inaccurate it is.

Good to say Lots of current, or not much current but not much else.

I've had mine read over 40A when actual draw was near 20A. In fact if it really was 40A, the 30A main breaker would have tripped.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeTampa wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

Sorry for the jack but Joe can you tell me the model of your PISP.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Comments thus far sound just like the comments concerning Champions when they first came out. I guess time will tell is the best statement.

JoeTampa

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Sorry for the jack but Joe can you tell me the model of your PISP.

The older PTC-50: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-50amp-Inline-p/pt50c.htm

..Which appears to have been replaced.

ktmrfs wrote:

Unless they have done a recent upgrade, the current reading on the PI readout is terribly inaccurate. Often reading way more than actual current and on other occasions way less.

I don't have anything else to compare it with - but I have compared readings after shutting down appliances of known wattage and calculated the amperage drop, and it seems to be accurate enough for my purposes. YMMV, I suppose. The unit is about 2 years old, maybe 3.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS