|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Water Pump problems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Farmboy666 wrote:

Why is it so common to suggest a cheap meter form HF...

Because it is all you need to t-shoot anything on an RV. Many people have gone their whole lives without ever owning a DVM, somehow survived, and to push a more expensive meter on them that they will never fully use to its potential is just, at best silly, at worst pompous.

X2

For occasional RV use, cheap ones work quite well in my experience. I have a cheap Walmart one that I keep in the 5th at it is all I have ever needed. If you are using one every day or for work, then you need something better.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmboy666 wrote:

midnightsadie wrote:

yep seen fuses get oxidation on them and not work. if you don,t have a meter? get one of the cheapies at harbor frt. save a lot of work.

Why is it so common to suggest a cheap meter form HF, why not just buy a quality one. You get what you pay for and cheap tools will let you down at the worst possible time. It's one of the tools you should have when you own an RV, get a good one.

i got news for you. The HF meter I have in the RV was not cheap, it was free with any purchase. has been working fine since i tossed it in the stash. [emoticon]

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmboy666 wrote:

Like I said you get what you pay for. If you can afford an RV you should be able to afford a decent reliable tool. At the end of the day what are you saving $30.00 ?

Fair enough, but $30 doesn't get you what I would consider a quality meter. I guess you were not suggesting a Fluke. Mostly I object to the jump on hate HF bandwagon that is seen on all forums at times. To be honest, I don't even know what HF sells in the DOVM lineup, but I would bet that even the cheapest (maybe even free) would be more than capable of diagnosing most problems in an RV.

I carry a $10 Sears digital meter in our RV. I am always very impressed with the thing, and often find myself grabbing it just because it is so danged handy working on cars/trucks.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Farmboy666 wrote:

Like I said you get what you pay for. If you can afford an RV you should be able to afford a decent reliable tool. At the end of the day what are you saving $30.00 ?

Fair enough, but $30 doesn't get you what I would consider a quality meter. I guess you were not suggesting a Fluke. Mostly I object to the jump on hate HF bandwagon that is seen on all forums at times. To be honest, I don't even know what HF sells in the DOVM lineup, but I would bet that even the cheapest (maybe even free) would be more than capable of diagnosing most problems in an RV.

I carry a $10 Sears digital meter in our RV. I am always very impressed with the thing, and often find myself grabbing it just because it is so danged handy working on cars/trucks.

I was suggesting 30 to 50. I would hate to chase an electrical problem for hours only to find out a $10 meter was giving me false or wrong readings. Some electrical stuff is hard enough to figure out and I just feel more confident knowing I had a quality meter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Water Pump problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS