|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I'm so new I don't even have an RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Manwithnorv

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....But thinking about it if I can figure it all out.

My wife is retiring this May and we are contemplating our first RV. Too much to process, so it will probably be fall before we take any action.

I have a spreadsheet with all the vehicle specs (GVWR, GCWR, etc.) and all the specs for a lot of 5th wheel campers and it looks like the only thing that can pull anything (without exceeding wt specs), is a 3500HD, diesel, DRW....All the SRW's seem to either fail or come too close.

Decisions, decisions. Our second choice activity for retirement is working crossword puzzles...no pressure.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd start with where you do want to go and camp? Then find an RV that fits. Doesn't always need to be the max size RV and TV. Consider renting RVs too.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion would be to decide on the trailer/5th wheel first, then you can figure out the options necessary for a truck to pull it with.

Buying the truck first is like putting the cart before the horse. You may fall in love with a floor plan that isn't a 40' behemoth. You may be smitten with a 35' 5th wheel that can easily be pulled with a 3/4 ton truck.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Campinfan

Washtenaw County, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep lurking around here. You will pick up some good info. Welcome to the forum and let us know when you pull the pin and buy a rig.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

My opinion would be to decide on the trailer/5th wheel first, then you can figure out the options necessary for a truck to pull it with.

Buying the truck first is like putting the cart before the horse. You may fall in love with a floor plan that isn't a 40' behemoth. You may be smitten with a 35' 5th wheel that can easily be pulled with a 3/4 ton truck.

What FJ said! Figure out the FW =first=, then see if you have the funds for the truck to pull it. [emoticon] Also, for a first-timer, I'd =seriously= consider buying a used RV similar to what you like. Do this, knowing that you're only going to keep it for the short-term, then make a list of "never-agains", "not needed", "be nice to haves" and "must haves". Even then, finding a used example of the exact model you want might be easier than you think.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’re on Facebook, check out the "RV Pricing and Values" page. Be sure and read the Pinned Post first.

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5th 1st. That way you'll know for sure what truck you need. Even DRW's have different tow ratings.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome,
Are you a teacher or bean counter by some chance? Spread sheet? Your overthinking things. Do you have a truck yet? Yes, then go weigh it, and subtract that from your trucks GVWR.
If no. Find a trailer you really think you cant live without. Look at the tag near the left from and get the GVWR from it. 20% of that is the max pin weight. Now, match a truck that can safely handle that.
Look at it another was,
1500 series, not suitable for fivers.
2500 series, suitsble for fivers up to around 11,000 GVWR.
3500SRW series suitavle for fivers up to around 13,500 GVWR
3500 duallies suitable for most of the rest.
This is based on new truck specs.
BYT. This is a first ever RV PLEASE DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR. DO NOT buy a new RV. Buy used and let someone else eat the huge depreciation.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think he's overthinking things at all. I'm impressed the OP isn't trying to do this with an F150 like so many and is thinking about every number and detail.
OP, your on the right track. Start with the RV you want and don't undersize the truck. You will not be sorry if you end up with a truck that has some extra capacity.
I do agree that you should not buy your first RV brand new. What ever you get, you will learn from it what things you really want and need. Then you'll buy something else in a year or two and take a beating on the trade in.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get a dually, 3500 HD or F350, crew cab, long bed, you'll be able to tow just about anything. If you get a lesser truck, then you have to count the beans. If you want real towing power that's unbelievable, make that dually a diesel! Now you REALLY can tow anything in your dreams!

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!
And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I'm so new I don't even have an RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS