|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> 93 Brave with Chevy 454 acceleration issuea

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Solo

NE Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 04:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've been given good advice already and must determine whether your 7.4L has been altered with a carburetor or is actually TBI. From there, you will have a much better path to diagnosis. Assuming you have the original TBI, I would be throwing darts at your problem by simply suggesting replacing parts without looking at the OBD I data stream and checking fuel pressure. If you don't have the equipment or experience, find someone who can otherwise, part swapping just for the sake of trying to get lucky may be a frustrating endeavor.

Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2005 Jeep TJ Toad with SMI DUO Braking System
Our Travel Blog VolunteersWithAPurpose

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When was the last time the in-line fuel filter was changed? Also check all the rubber hoses around the TBI being that old they are probably all rotted or dried out causing vacuum leaks. Good time to check everything on the top end and clean the TBI. When I picked up my 95 Brave in 2005 a lot of the hoses were loose and dried out, replaced them all along with cleaning the TBI and replacing the gaskets and filters. Ran 100 times better.

psalm10720

Clearwater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fuel lines and vacuum lines replaced. Why is it hard to believe it’s carbureted? It is.

Blutoyz

Warwick, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

psalm10720 wrote:

Fuel lines and vacuum lines replaced. Why is it hard to believe it’s carbureted? It is.

If it is and it is running well cold (auto choke closed) then you have a starting point. Check fuel pressure first, check accel pump (not running of course), and if you are handy...just do a rebuild/refresh on it. It is a cheap kit and will force you to clean it well when you do the rebuild.

Just my $.02

She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it has a carb, it should not have an ECM. Remove the carb and have it rebuilt, the jets are probably gummed up along with the accelerator pump diaphram. Take it to a good old school mechanic the new kids don't know what a carb is. Also check the fuel filter on the gas inlet on the carb.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many original sensors and ECM would have to be removed.
Not sure how changing TBI to carb would effect the fuel pump.

* This post was edited 03/07/18 10:09am by enblethen *

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

psalm10720

Clearwater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not a mechanic and hopefully a good mechanic can ferret out the problem. I was hoping someone dealt with the same issue. I have done much work to this RV. Total new vacuum lines, water pump, engine a/c pump, radiator etc.. I have an apt the beginning of April to drop off at a old school speed shop. Chevy truck center didn’t have any carb savvy techs. Big RV stores like Lazydays charge $149.00/hour. Hopefully a competent carb savvy tech can ferret out the real problem. I’ll make sure to list all the possibilities mentioned. Will post result. Won’t be til mid-April. Thanks

tderonne

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good mechanic (who knows carburetors) is a good call. As others have said, Chevrolet made the last carbureted 454s in 1989. If you have a carb, it probably isn't stock, and probably just needs some good ol' fashioned tuning. Remember LOTS of mechanics you'll find weren't even born in 1989 (someone born in 1989 is turning 29 this year). I was asked yesterday if an "alternator" is that thing that cars don't have anymore. I corrected her and said that was a "carburetor".

You should be able to find your RPO code somewhere, it ought to be L19. That'd tell you for sure it was TBI at some point.

Some 454 info (updating my post):

RPO LE8: 240 net hp (trucks only)
Small oval (“peanut”) port cast-iron heads, Quadrajet 4-barrel carb, mild hydraulic lifter cam, two- or four-bolt main caps, cast-iron crankshaft. Available in trucks only through 1986 and some heavy trucks through 1989.

RPO L19: 230 net hp (trucks only)
This engine superseded the LE8 when General Motors switched from carburetors to computer-controlled 2-barrel TBI (throttle body injection) in 1987. Small oval (“peanut”) port cast-iron heads, mild hydraulic lifter cam, two- or fourbolt main caps, cast-iron crankshaft. Available in trucks only from 1987 to 1990, this was the last production Mark IV engine.

7.4 Liter Gen V (454 ci) RPO L19: 230 net hp (trucks only)
Even though General Motors switched to the newly designated Gen V block, heads, and crankshaft in 1991, this workhorse retained the same RPO number as its predecessor: small oval (“peanut”) port cast-iron heads, TBI, mild hydraulic lifter cam, four-bolt main caps, cast-iron crankshaft. Available in trucks only from 1991 to 1995.

7.4 Liter Gen VI (454 ci) RPO L19/L29: 290 net hp at 4,000 rpm (trucks only)
The Vortec 7400 featured more refinements including the use of MPFI (multi-point fuel injection) and hydraulic roller lifters: small oval (“peanut”) port cast-iron heads, four-bolt main caps, cast-iron crankshaft. Available in trucks only from 1996 to 2000.

* This post was edited 03/07/18 11:47am by tderonne *

Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

psalm10720

Clearwater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/18 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The alternator on my gold wing f6b is huge for a bike.

Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/18 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1990 is a 1989 chassis. It was the very last of the carburetors. When I had my buddy rebuild it he had a difficult time getting the right parts.

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS, Thorley Headers B&M trans cooler. Flowmaster mufflers recurved distributor Still Keepin on Truckin((((Was 7.5mpg Now 8.75mpg ))))

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> 93 Brave with Chevy 454 acceleration issuea
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS